Vidahost - UK Web Hosting
Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Romford Pele

Last Movie You Watched

5,049 posts in this topic
1 minute ago, BelgradeCFC said:

Prometheus 2?

Alien: Covenant. I hope it resembles Prometheus as little as possible.

dkw likes this

12 minutes ago, BelgradeCFC said:

Prometheus 2?

No alien covenant.

18 hours ago, Maksimov said:

Alien: Covenant. I hope it resembles Prometheus as little as possible.

Yes, this film is the second installment in a planned trilogy of three movies that act as prequels to Alien. It is intended as a sequel to Prometheus, taking place several years later. The third installment in this prequel series has no title or release date yet.

Prometheus was weak.

Passengers 7/10

For all intents and purposes this is a space love story, not too mushy so I enjoyed it.

Better than the other Sci Fi film I watched recently, Arrival.

John Wick Chapter 2:

Good lord. I walked into the cinema knowing exactly what sort of film this would be, and it delivered. My head was ringing after almost two hours of action. Headshot headshot headshot headshot, breaking arms, legs....and that scene where he uses the pencil against that thug....woah! It turns out you can get away with quite a lot on a 15 certificate! But the inclusion of Loz Fishburne for one scene seemed pointless and served the plot in no way.

Make sure you've watched the first one before seeing this. Best action film I've seen since The Raid.

9/10 

Kong: Skull Island:

My friend dragged me into seeing this. Not my sort of thing really (I hated Peter Jackson's version and care little for that giant ape) but I really enjoyed it. Kong appeared early on and the hole thing was fraught with danger and excitement. Some really great moments with Kong fighting various beasts, and killing humans of course.

John C Reilly stole the whole film and the ending was emotional. 

Still not convinced by Tom Hiddleston as an actor though. His delivery is always the same; just very flat. Please don't let him be James Bond!

Recommended viewing, lots of action and moments of levity. 

8/10

didierforever likes this

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping

Really enjoyed this. A very silly spoof documentary of a moronic manufactured pop group. Very funny with some ridiculous songs. 6.5/7

youlots likes this

The Last Man on the Moon. It's a documentary about Gene Cernan, an American Astronaut who is the last man to have walked on the moon. It's not the best documentary I've seen on the subject of astronauts, but it's a good one.

youlots likes this

On 15/03/2017 at 16:49, Chelsbear said:

Won't touch 'This is Spinal Tap' though I bet!

Classic

Nope, but I wouldn't hold that against it.

Posted (edited)

Logan

Well well well! What a film this was. The Wolverine film I've wanted to see since the beginning. Violent, heartfelt, bloody, sweary, grow-ly! Patrick Stewart is an absolute scene-stealer. I don't want to give any spoilers away so I'll keep this brief.

Hilarious, exciting, emotional. 

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is probably one of the most perfect casting decisions ever made. That man IS Wolverine! I just wish that every X-Men film was shot with such panache and style as this. James Mangold- who directed The Wolverine- has surpassed himself. See this on the biggest screen you can. 

10/10

Edited by Blueblur

Get Out - What a great film. At heart it's a very clever and original take on the psychological horror genre, but it also contains a fair amount of humour and social commentary. It starts off with a typically awkward meet-the-parents type scenario and gradually morphs into something much more sinister. Well worth seeing at the cinema, if possible.

youlots likes this

Nocturnal Animals. 

Really, really enjoyed it. Thought it was an interesting story, the way it flicked between the two stories and how they were connected. The novel being a metaphor for the ended relationship. 

But man, the ending... Just a little too obtuse. 

youlots likes this

Just got back from seeing Kong: Skull Island. What a load of stupid nonsense. If it wasn't for John C Reilly I don't think I could have made it to the end.

22 hours ago, bluedave said:

Just got back from seeing Kong: Skull Island. What a load of stupid nonsense. If it wasn't for John C Reilly I don't think I could have made it to the end.

Viet Kong?

Punching Henry - Unfortunately not a reference to Thierry Henry, this is a low-key comedy from stand-up comedian/folk singer Henry Philips. He plays himself as a struggling comic trying to retain his integrity in the LA entertainment industry even though it greatly harms his chances of ever being successful. Also features several well-known comedians including Tig Notaro, Sarah Silverman and Doug Stanhope (who was particularly good if only for a short time). It moves at a relaxed pace and the humour is mostly quite subtle and witty, which probably explains the relatively low rating on IMDB. I really liked it.

On 24/03/2017 at 22:14, Maksimov said:

Viet Kong?

No... 'King' Kong. A CGI sh*t-fest.

On 03/25/2017 at 00:14, Maksimov said:

Viet Kong?

4 minutes ago, bluedave said:

No... 'King' Kong. A CGI sh*t-fest.

That was meant to be a cheesy pun as I heard there's fair amount of references to Vietnam war movies (in terms of style, or something like that).

1 hour ago, Maksimov said:

That was meant to be a cheesy pun as I heard there's fair amount of references to Vietnam war movies (in terms of style, or something like that).

I did wonder if that was what you meant. There were some scenes that were clearly heavy-handed homages to Apocalypse Now, but it completely lacks the artistry (for want of a better word) of that film.

Split.

Good concept for a film but it got rather ridiculous towards the end and that ending was simply pointless

The whole Outbreak thing just didn't make much sense, maybe they are setting it up for another film to tie it more together but it was daft.

James McAvoy saves this from falling below a 5, he was really impressive in this role.

6/10

On 3/3/2017 at 00:03, BelgradeCFC said:

Yes, this film is the second installment in a planned trilogy of three movies that act as prequels to Alien. It is intended as a sequel to Prometheus, taking place several years later. The third installment in this prequel series has no title or release date yet.

Prometheus was weak.

I liked Prometheus. 

Posted (edited)

Hacksaw Ridge. 

Cracking film.  Not sure how it wasn't nominated for best picture either.

8.5/10

Edited by Blue Exile

On 3/24/2017 at 07:51, bluedave said:

Reilly carried this film

Free Fire - thoroughly enjoyed this. Some IRA goons attempt to buy a load of guns, only for the whole deal to go south due to mutual incompetence and treachery. The entire film is set in a disused factory in realtime, so it's hard not compare it to Reservoir Dogs. It has a similar energy and also happens to be one of the funniest films I've seen in a while; the casual violence and constant bickering reminding me at times of a long episode of Archer.