Random Rumours

Money
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

As much as I would love to see the academy products come though, I don't want us to pass on potentially would class players. 

Golovin probably fits that bracket, he looks silky smooth, like a young modric when he played further forward. 

The price being touted is very reasonable in today's market aswell, but on the flip side, russians haven't tended to do well in England, however it is a small sample size. 

Hopefully we will see a switch in strategy again, and we look to bring in younger players with high potential, because the squad is full of 'squad players in their mid to late twenties that will be difficult to move on. 

44 minutes ago, big blue said:

As much as I would love to see the academy products come though, I don't want us to pass on potentially would class players. 

Golovin probably fits that bracket, he looks silky smooth, like a young modric when he played further forward. 

The price being touted is very reasonable in today's market aswell, but on the flip side, russians haven't tended to do well in England, however it is a small sample size. 

Hopefully we will see a switch in strategy again, and we look to bring in younger players with high potential, because the squad is full of 'squad players in their mid to late twenties that will be difficult to move on. 

What is the rumored price?  Haven’t seen it.

Golovin not as impressive last night in my view. He also isn't what we require. We need a player who can dictate the play from deep. 

Similar argument to be made about Seri in my view. Games I've seen him play best have been further forward. Sitting deeper under pressure I don't think his passing is as good and I think his stature means he can be bullied off the ball, that's an issue in the higher tempo, more physical Premier League.

If we did buy him we'd be wise to buy N'Zonzi also (30m buyout) to provide a more physical prescence in key games (but one who can still pass unlike Bakayoko).

If we get rid of Drinkwater and hopefully Bakayoko, we'd have:

Kante, Barkley, Fabregas, Loftus-Cheek

Thats a good mix of defensive running, creativity and power. But we really need a "big" midfielder, like a prime Essien, who will just boss teams.

4 minutes ago, Zeta said:

Thats a good mix of defensive running, creativity and power. But we really need a "big" midfielder, like a prime Essien, who will just boss teams.

You not willing to give Baka a second chance under a different manager?

33 minutes ago, Zeta said:

If we get rid of Kante, Barkley, Fabregas, RLC, Drinkwater, and Bakayoko we could have:

Thiago, Ndombele, Cook, Golovin, Mount, Ampadu

Granted Thiago and Ndombele are out of our league but for me that would be an elite level midfield for the next 5 years.

Edited by the special one

38 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Golovin not as impressive last night in my view. He also isn't what we require. We need a player who can dictate the play from deep. 

Similar argument to be made about Seri in my view. Games I've seen him play best have been further forward. Sitting deeper under pressure I don't think his passing is as good and I think his stature means he can be bullied off the ball, that's an issue in the higher tempo, more physical Premier League.

If we did buy him we'd be wise to buy N'Zonzi also (30m buyout) to provide a more physical prescence in key games (but one who can still pass unlike Bakayoko).

I think golovin would be much better in the hamsik role assuming sarri comes in. Good movement, quick feet, great technique, good weight of pass, and strikes the ball well with both feet.

He is slight but i dont see that as that big of an issue. Plenty of smaller players have excelled over here, admittedly tonight is only the 3rd game I've seen him play, but he does seem fairly tenacious, as alot of eastern European players are. 

For £25m he could be a really smart purchase. 

8 minutes ago, the special one said:

If we get rid of Kante, Barkley, Fabregas, RLC, Drinkwater, and Bakayoko we could have:

Granted Thiago and Ndombele are out of our league but for me that would be an elite level midfield for the next 5 years.

Still pining for Lewis cook? are you his dad by any chance :)

8 hours ago, the special one said:

hahahahaha i almost nibbled. Good bait. 

10 hours ago, big blue said:

I think golovin would be much better in the hamsik role assuming sarri comes in. Good movement, quick feet, great technique, good weight of pass, and strikes the ball well with both feet.

He is slight but i dont see that as that big of an issue. Plenty of smaller players have excelled over here, admittedly tonight is only the 3rd game I've seen him play, but he does seem fairly tenacious, as alot of eastern European players are. 

For £25m he could be a really smart purchase. 

I understand your point. For me that position is the most well stocked. We have Fabregas, RLC and Barkley all who fit that role. My sense is we have one too many for that role already and one of those three will need to leave without adding anyone. 

Our need is greatest deeper in midfield. We have Kante as a nailed on starter but we don't have a deep lying playmaker capable of dictating the play. My sense is we need two players in this area. 

That said, our strategy is very incoherent. Seems to me we are targeting based on price rather than need, hence our purchase of Barkley and our pursuit of Seri with his release clause. 

Bless you for identifying someone we possibly should  buy after admitting you've only seen him in three games,  mostly in the artificial arena of World Cup group matches against the minnows.

But,  sorry,  mate, I was just taking the piss.  Didn't mean to offend.

5 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

I understand your point. For me that position is the most well stocked. We have Fabregas, RLC and Barkley all who fit that role. My sense is we have one too many for that role already and one of those three will need to leave without adding anyone. 

Our need is greatest deeper in midfield. We have Kante as a nailed on starter but we don't have a deep lying playmaker capable of dictating the play. My sense is we need two players in this area. 

That said, our strategy is very incoherent. Seems to me we are targeting based on price rather than need, hence our purchase of Barkley and our pursuit of Seri with his release clause. 

While i agree that deeper midfield is a priority above any other position i'm not really conviced by the 3 names you listed to play the more attacking CM role.

Fabregas is great when we have the ball but i've got some serious questions when it comes to how well he can defend and press.

RLC is a bit overhyped imo and is still quite raw as a player. 

Barkley has played very little football over the last year. I honestly have no idea what to expect from him. 

Tbh wouldn't suprise me if we went with Fabregas and didn't buy anyone for that role. 

9 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

Bless you for identifying someone we possibly should  buy after admitting you've only seen him in three games,  mostly in the artificial arena of World Cup group matches against the minnows.

But,  sorry,  mate, I was just taking the piss.  Didn't mean to offend.

No offence taken YB,

You know what it's like on this forum though, 3 games is enough to determine the future of any player.

6 hours ago, Hazard10 said:

While i agree that deeper midfield is a priority above any other position i'm not really conviced by the 3 names you listed to play the more attacking CM role.

Fabregas is great when we have the ball but i've got some serious questions when it comes to how well he can defend and press.

RLC is a bit overhyped imo and is still quite raw as a player. 

Barkley has played very little football over the last year. I honestly have no idea what to expect from him. 

Tbh wouldn't suprise me if we went with Fabregas and didn't buy anyone for that role. 

I think Cesc will be here for another year purely because it'll be hard to move him with his wages. I also think he could do well under a Sarri who largely wants the ball to do the work. Forcing Cesc to play deeper and in a two man midfield has really exposed his weaknesses. If he is playing further forward, his creativity and clever movement off the ball can come to the fore. 

RLC is fine as a backup. I'd imagine Barkley might go on loan to get some consistent first team football after the injuries. In any case I think we're okay there.

That deeper lying position is more problematic. I'll admit that it bothers me that we seem to be letting the conductor of Sarri's team go to Man City without so much as a peep. Plenty of others out there but he would make sense as a first choice, you would have thought.