Vintage Blues pictures and film

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

On 12 November 2017 at 09:03, Valerie said:

Goodness, how a remark about how Bridge visitors of today differ from the ones in the old days can lead to senseless namecalling and bragging who was born earlier. 

Shame, this was such an enjoyable thread.

Your right Valerie.....as far I am concerned the matter is closed....I sincerely apologise to you and everyone else on this forum for over reacting ....I can't stand P*ss takers ....especially when it's being directed against fellow chelsea fans.....I shall just ignore him in future.......Keep the Blue Flag Flying High........greetings from a nursing home in Kent ! 

On 11/11/2017 at 20:00, Ewell CFC said:

I'm not sure how often we used that blanket, but remember when we played Arsenal 84-85, it had been a bitterly cold week in London- Bates had been on the  media about this frost blanket, straw over the pitch, heaters etc.

The game got played but it weren't much of a spectacle- the pitch was hard as iron.

An Arsenal mate came with us that day, and in the car going home after we all agreed that by far the most comfortable player was Charlie Nicholas.

Talking of which, West Ham away got froze off the same year ( Luton was another one from a couple of years previous- found out on route on the M1)

Following the announcement of the game being cancelled- it came over on the tannoy at Towet Hill,

Like a lot of Chelsea we went to Highbury against the vermin.

Graham Roberts, who went on to have a cameo with us, completely wiped out Charlie Nicholas early doors, sending into an advertising hoarding head first. Makes me wince just thinking about it

If I remember right, we drew that Arsenal game 1-1, speedie equalising at the end? I remember listening to the commentry on my radio on the Saturday afternoon, with the late great Peter jones commentating, when we equalised the atmosphere sounded superb across the radio, and for some strange reason I had recorded the 2nd half on my cassette recorder, so I replayed speedies equaliser over and over again, a bit strange I know, but no more stranger than others of my age listening to some of the way out 80's music of the time

1 hour ago, erskblue said:

Sat 12th May 1984.

We won 1-0. King Kerry to win Division 2 title, ahead of Sheffield Wednesday.

All season it was between the four, us, Wednesday, Newcastle and city, Wednesday looked like winning the title but we pipped them at the end, city fell away and missed going up, while Keegan and the Geordies got 3rd spot. Is it really 33 plus years ago? I know nostalgia and the passing of time makes the old times seem better and better than they probably were, but they really were good times  back then. I was 15 and the world at my feet, now I'm typing this sitting in my bed with a  hot water bottle and putting my oil olay on.

1 hour ago, chi blue said:

All season it was between the four, us, Wednesday, Newcastle and city, Wednesday looked like winning the title but we pipped them at the end, city fell away and missed going up, while Keegan and the Geordies got 3rd spot. Is it really 33 plus years ago? I know nostalgia and the passing of time makes the old times seem better and better than they probably were, but they really were good times  back then. I was 15 and the world at my feet, now I'm typing this sitting in my bed with a  hot water bottle and putting my oil olay on.

No those times really were that good!

8 hours ago, chi blue said:

'Is it really 33 years plus ago?' It is and like you,I really can't believe where those years have gone. I was 16 in fifth year in secondary school and loving the fact Chelsea were on their way back.

8 hours ago, chi blue said:

If I remember right, we drew that Arsenal game 1-1, speedie equalising at the end? I remember listening to the commentry on my radio on the Saturday afternoon, with the late great Peter jones commentating, when we equalised the atmosphere sounded superb across the radio, and for some strange reason I had recorded the 2nd half on my cassette recorder, so I replayed speedies equaliser over and over again, a bit strange I know, but no more stranger than others of my age listening to some of the way out 80's music of the time

I too was a 'Sport on 2' fan. The late great Peter Jones was an incredible sports commentator.

As a Chelsea fan in the West of Scotland. Sport on 2 was my way of getting my Chelsea match update or live match commentary in the 1970s and 1980s.

From the club website about the game against Moscow Dynamo on 13 November, 1945. I knew a guy who was at the game. At the time he lived in the North End Road. I love it that so many fans were on the roofs of the stands. No worries about Health and Safety then. 

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2017/11/a-moment-in-time0.html

It was on this day 72 years ago Chelsea entertained the glamorous Russian side Dynamo Moscow in a friendly.

To mark the anniversary, the fixture is the latest subject of our feature where we look back on memorable matches in our history through a selection of images, plus on this occasion, a special video from Chelsea TV above...

CHELSEA V DYNAMO MOSCOW, 13 NOVEMBER 1945, FRIENDLY, STAMFORD BRIDGE

The Second World War had put an end to domestic action, in its usual format, since 1939, but with the conflict by now over, and normality gradually returning, the authorities announced the Soviet Union’s strongest side would embark upon a tour of Britain, and the Blues were to be their first opponents.

By this time, the British public's appetite for the game, and any form of entertainment, was absolutely huge. The fixture may have been a friendly, but it meant far more than that to people who had been through a harrowing time, reflected in the fact that over 100,000 supporters descended on Stamford Bridge.

Make no mistake, this was the hottest ticket in town!

Prior to kick off, the Chelsea players were presented with bouquets of flowers from their visiting opponents, and both teams were then introduced to British Labour politician Albert Victor Alexander [pictured below].

1510575984806.jpg

The Russians started the game strongly and dominated the opening 20 minutes, but it was the Blues, whose team included new signing Tommy Lawton [pictured below], leading 2-0 at half-time courtesy of goals by Len Goulden and Reg Williams.

1510576003677.jpg

The image below emphasises just how far supporters were prepared to go to in order to catch a glimpse of the action, with huge numbers perched dangerously on the Stamford Bridge roof and even larger numbers stood on the greyhound track surrounding the pitch.

Almost 75,000 fans had paid to get in, but thousands more made their way into the stadium by any means necessary.

1510576040976.jpg

There was certainly no shortage of entertainment on offer for the thousands in attendance, with Dynamo Moscow scoring twice in four minutes to draw level in the second half.

In the below image, Dynamo goalkeeper Alexei 'Tiger' Khomich thwarts the Blues with an impressive save.

1510576058333.jpg

Two more goals followed, one for each side, as Lawton restored our lead with a fine header, before Dynamo equalised once again through their captain Bobrov, who was clearly in an offside position when he made it 3-3.

On a historic day, however, the final outcome wasn't so crucial. Six goals had been shared but, far more importantly, football had returned.

1510576073874.jpg

9 hours ago, Boyne said:

Image result for stamford bridge in the fifties

Does anyone know the name of the fan on the right hand side picture, wearing the blue and white hooped jumper with the pendants/ badges sewn on?

83-84 was probably my favourite season too. Everything seemed to click. The players loved us and we loved them. I don't recall a ropey patch- after beating Sheff Wed at home, we lost at Cambridge, then drew against Carlisle at home; a hiccup more than a slump. From March onwards we went from strength to strength. A lot of it's probably age related. Being 18/19 that year, casual was at its peak. I think fan culture was just about at its pinnacle Chelsea wise- the inflatable craze, daft songs, taking over entire stands when we went away. 

I loved the following season as well, plus the Hoddle/ Vialli era ,when we all enjoyed picking up bits of silverware, and the Bridge hadn't yet become swamped with day tripping tourists  

4 hours ago, Boyne said:

From the club website about the game against Moscow Dynamo on 13 November, 1945. I knew a guy who was at the game. At the time he lived in the North End Road. I love it that so many fans were on the roofs of the stands. No worries about Health and Safety then. 

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2017/11/a-moment-in-time0.html

It was on this day 72 years ago Chelsea entertained the glamorous Russian side Dynamo Moscow in a friendly.

To mark the anniversary, the fixture is the latest subject of our feature where we look back on memorable matches in our history through a selection of images, plus on this occasion, a special video from Chelsea TV above...

CHELSEA V DYNAMO MOSCOW, 13 NOVEMBER 1945, FRIENDLY, STAMFORD BRIDGE

The Second World War had put an end to domestic action, in its usual format, since 1939, but with the conflict by now over, and normality gradually returning, the authorities announced the Soviet Union’s strongest side would embark upon a tour of Britain, and the Blues were to be their first opponents.

By this time, the British public's appetite for the game, and any form of entertainment, was absolutely huge. The fixture may have been a friendly, but it meant far more than that to people who had been through a harrowing time, reflected in the fact that over 100,000 supporters descended on Stamford Bridge.

Make no mistake, this was the hottest ticket in town!

Prior to kick off, the Chelsea players were presented with bouquets of flowers from their visiting opponents, and both teams were then introduced to British Labour politician Albert Victor Alexander [pictured below].

1510575984806.jpg

The Russians started the game strongly and dominated the opening 20 minutes, but it was the Blues, whose team included new signing Tommy Lawton [pictured below], leading 2-0 at half-time courtesy of goals by Len Goulden and Reg Williams.

1510576003677.jpg

The image below emphasises just how far supporters were prepared to go to in order to catch a glimpse of the action, with huge numbers perched dangerously on the Stamford Bridge roof and even larger numbers stood on the greyhound track surrounding the pitch.

Almost 75,000 fans had paid to get in, but thousands more made their way into the stadium by any means necessary.

1510576040976.jpg

There was certainly no shortage of entertainment on offer for the thousands in attendance, with Dynamo Moscow scoring twice in four minutes to draw level in the second half.

In the below image, Dynamo goalkeeper Alexei 'Tiger' Khomich thwarts the Blues with an impressive save.

1510576058333.jpg

Two more goals followed, one for each side, as Lawton restored our lead with a fine header, before Dynamo equalised once again through their captain Bobrov, who was clearly in an offside position when he made it 3-3.

On a historic day, however, the final outcome wasn't so crucial. Six goals had been shared but, far more importantly, football had returned.

1510576073874.jpg

There must have been a good number of absences from the classrooms and the workplace that afternoon!

My grandfather asked his foreman in the Clyde shipyard for a day of absence. This was due to a Family gathering '.

The foreman granted the request,telling he too was going to the 'family gathering '.

The family gathering was the Glasgow Rangers v Moscow Dynamo match in late November 1945.

6 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Does anyone know the name of the fan on the right hand side picture, wearing the blue and white hooped jumper with the pendants/ badges sewn on?

83-84 was probably my favourite season too. Everything seemed to click. The players loved us and we loved them. I don't recall a ropey patch- after beating Sheff Wed at home, we lost at Cambridge, then drew against Carlisle at home; a hiccup more than a slump. From March onwards we went from strength to strength. A lot of it's probably age related. Being 18/19 that year, casual was at its peak. I think fan culture was just about at its pinnacle Chelsea wise- the inflatable craze, daft songs, taking over entire stands when we went away. 

I loved the following season as well, plus the Hoddle/ Vialli era ,when we all enjoyed picking up bits of silverware, and the Bridge hadn't yet become swamped with day tripping tourists  

His name is Bob & he still works at Stamford Bridge.

12 hours ago, erskblue said:

'Is it really 33 years plus ago?' It is and like you,I really can't believe where those years have gone. I was 16 in fifth year in secondary school and loving the fact Chelsea were on their way back.

Me too!!! Couple of games were iffy for school. Still locked in at 11pm down  at Pompey away after some seats got ripped out!! Also had the Friday off to go to Man City, right in the middle of exams!!

3 hours ago, Carshalton Blue said:

His name is Bob & he still works at Stamford Bridge.

We use to call him Big bad Bob on the specials. He used to have sandwiches with strong onions in them!!! Also use to have loads of funny rhyming ditties that he would say on the train. Works with the ground staff match day on the bins.

8 hours ago, F1905 said:

Hi Ewell ,I don't know his name but wasn't he the 50 / 50 lottery ticket seller who you saw at the bottom of the steps having just entered the shed via the white wall entrance ? Or is time playing tricks with me ! 

Used to sell them going round to the East Stand. Bloke in the shed had a tash, remember him competing with the bloke selling the Percy Dalton monkey nuts!!