Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Carshalton Blue

Vintage Blues pictures and film

In the picture  above re the  vermin  who is the CFC player to the right of Craig Johnston,i am usually quite good as playing "name the player " but struggling ...i could cheat and look at the http://www.bounder.friardale.co.uk/index.htm  CFC site re year/team line up etc but dont want to do that but it is now bugging me !

nominator and Richard P like this

On 04/07/2017 at 21:42, Ewell CFC said:

My wife's Mount Road Mitcham; my family are Wandsworth/ St Helier Estate.

For many years now there' s been a strong link beteen CFC and that wondrous fairyland otherwise known as Mitcham-  Mitcham Royals produced a few Chelsea players, the old training ground, in the early 80s the combined Mitcham/ Morden contingent were a bit of a force firm wise. Very few of those lads still live that way now mind

My dad worked for Turners Mitcham Bakery back in the sixties and seventies. Delivered to houses with horse and carts up to the mid seventies until the roads were too busy. Then in vans, they had shops in Mitcham, Streatham, Pollards Hill and Fipps bridge.

33 minutes ago, F1905 said:

In the picture  above re the  vermin  who is the CFC player to the right of Craig Johnston,i am usually quite good as playing "name the player " but struggling ...i could cheat and look at the http://www.bounder.friardale.co.uk/index.htm  CFC site re year/team line up etc but dont want to do that but it is now bugging me !

It's Canners!

On 04/07/2017 at 21:42, Ewell CFC said:

My wife's Mount Road Mitcham; my family are Wandsworth/ St Helier Estate.

For many years now there' s been a strong link beteen CFC and that wondrous fairyland otherwise known as Mitcham-  Mitcham Royals produced a few Chelsea players, the old training ground, in the early 80s the combined Mitcham/ Morden contingent were a bit of a force firm wise. Very few of those lads still live that way now mind

Strange really, I grew up a few hundred yards from both the Mitcham and Morden boundaries with Carshalton, but never really got to know more than a handful of fellow blues from both. A few from Morden, mainly from drinking in the Tavern now and then, but only really knew one of the Mitcham lot, a much loved poster on this site funny enough. A few of us from St H used to walk down to Fair Green to pick up the old supporters club coach from Davies' who were sited opposite where the Conservative club is now, always a nervous walk to the bus stop when we got back, due to the locals hanging around the bandstand. Luckily, as soon as they realised we were Chelsea they usually had a chat and asked how the day had gone, oh the memories.

old git and nominator like this

16 hours ago, old git said:

The Arms was a one off. Before I started drinking there, I used to work on a fruit and veg. barrow across the road (before I went to school) and used to run across the roundabout with a sack of potatoes for their kitchen. It went rapidly downhill due to it being used for rucks, fights and a bit of gang warfare. At the death, half of it was closed down and the other half was dark and dingy. Apparently, some lunatic drove in on a motorbike around the bar looking for some bloke. 

The Arms was the first pub I ever got served in and was my local for 6-7 years before I moved away from the area. Was it Ted's stall you worked on? If it was you'd probably know my good school chum, and later my best man, who worked on the stall, as well as in the shop, for many years before moving to the south coast about 7-8 years ago, QPR fan.

2 hours ago, F1905 said:

Rich P ....cheers mate but I'm after the CFC player on the right hand side of Johnston.....anybody help me ?

Joe McLaughlin I think. Edit John Millar completely forgot about him (if it is him.)

Edited by bluehaze

8 hours ago, MKBlue said:

The Arms was the first pub I ever got served in and was my local for 6-7 years before I moved away from the area. Was it Ted's stall you worked on? If it was you'd probably know my good school chum, and later my best man, who worked on the stall, as well as in the shop, for many years before moving to the south coast about 7-8 years ago, QPR fan.

It was Ted's (the old man) stall. Young Teddy was my best mate at school. I worked on the stall in the 1960's until I left school in 1965 and, other than the two Teds, Dave Pleon (not sure of the spelling), also helped out although his full time job was a fireman. I'm guessing your a lot younger than I am MK, so I reckon you must be referring to the lad who worked full time in young Ted's shop until, as you say 7 years ago. His name escapes me though but he was a sturdy unit! 

13 hours ago, Richard P said:

My dad worked for Turners Mitcham Bakery back in the sixties and seventies. Delivered to houses with horse and carts up to the mid seventies until the roads were too busy. Then in vans, they had shops in Mitcham, Streatham, Pollards Hill and Fipps bridge.

Pollards Hill and Phipps Bridge. I hope he was fully tooled up when he delivered there!

4 hours ago, old git said:

Pollards Hill and Phipps Bridge. I hope he was fully tooled up when he delivered there!

Never mentioned it being a problem. Was it that bad 60s and 70s? People loved the old fashioned way of horse and cart and the fact their fresh bread was delivered, something you couldn't believe in this modern era!

On 06/07/2017 at 04:47, old git said:

The Arms was a one off. Before I started drinking there, I used to work on a fruit and veg. barrow across the road (before I went to school) and used to run across the roundabout with a sack of potatoes for their kitchen. It went rapidly downhill due to it being used for rucks, fights and a bit of gang warfare. At the death, half of it was closed down and the other half was dark and dingy. Apparently, some lunatic drove in on a motorbike around the bar looking for some bloke. 

Its a shame how the Arms turned out, it was always a rough pub but certain people took it to another level.

My pal used to DJ in there in the late 70s early 80s at the Rockabilly nights, there's a few clips on youtube from some of those nights, a late relation of mine used to box in there as well.

You ever read this? think it sums the pub up in its final years.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-most-dangerous-pub-in-britain-just-last-week-a-customer-was-shot-in-the-face-with-a-sawn-off-1381963.html

nominator, Sapper245 and old git like this

12 hours ago, Carshalton Blue said:

Its a shame how the Arms turned out, it was always a rough pub but certain people took it to another level.

My pal used to DJ in there in the late 70s early 80s at the Rockabilly nights, there's a few clips on youtube from some of those nights, a late relation of mine used to box in there as well.

You ever read this? think it sums the pub up in its final years.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-most-dangerous-pub-in-britain-just-last-week-a-customer-was-shot-in-the-face-with-a-sawn-off-1381963.html

I've never read that before. An interesting but all too familiar read for me. Gary used to be a hairdresser in a shop at the Circle!

21 hours ago, erskblue said:

The official Chelsea site has an article 'Carefree'. It's on the Inside Blue blog and is an interview with Gianfranco Zola.

Well worth a read.

It was posted on Wednesday,just read it.

Good read that. The club has got to get that man back in some capacity. He's an icon.

erskblue likes this