Vintage Blues pictures and film

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 hour ago, bluehaze said:

I can't stand Alan Hudson he was in the paper slagging off Chelsea again he said he celebrated when we got relegated in 75. He never stops professing his love for Stoke yet seems to think Chelsea owe him a living.

Yes. I can understand a bit of (pretentious German word alert) schadenfreude about 1975 when your boyhood club had broken up 'your' team and packed you off to Stoke. But you would have thought this might not lasted quite so long. Like you, I've only ever heard negative stuff from him about us. I've read his book and that was full of both criticism of us and deep-lying bitterness, as well as big-headed I'm-the-most talented-and-underappreciated-English-midfielder-ever bollocks.

I know he's had a tough time since his terrible accident, but he really should stop giving us a public slagging at every opportunity. What's he been saying now?

If you want to read about real love and passion for Chelsea, you won't be disappointed by Ossie's book. This is what he wrote about winning the ECWC v Real in '71, and it's one of the best paragraphs about Chelsea I've ever read:

We were as euphoric as they [the fans] were because few of us really saw ourselves as players passing through. We were all Chelsea. True Blue as they say. We were supporters fortunate enough to be playing for the club we loved. Chelsea had that effect on players - once you arrived at Stamford Bridge, being a Chelsea player seemed to define you, whether you had risen through the ranks or whether you were a signing. And as I and others found out, even when you left you were basically still a Chelsea player plying your trade elsewhere.

This applies to so many of our former players- Lamps, JT, Kerry Dixon, Pat Nevin, Eidur, Drogba, Cundy, Walker, even players who had huge careers elsewhere like Desailly, Gullit, and Ballack. The list goes on and on.

It certainly doesn't apply to Alan Hudson.

18 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Yes. I can understand a bit of (pretentious German word alert) schadenfreude about 1975 when your boyhood club had broken up 'your' team and packed you off to Stoke. But you would have thought this might not lasted quite so long. Like you, I've only ever heard negative stuff from him about us. I've read his book and that was full of both criticism of us and deep-lying bitterness, as well as big-headed I'm-the-most talented-and-underappreciated-English-midfielder-ever bollocks.

I know he's had a tough time since his terrible accident, but he really should stop giving us a public slagging at every opportunity. What's he been saying now?

If you want to read about real love and passion for Chelsea, you won't be disappointed by Ossie's book. This is what he wrote about winning the ECWC v Real in '71, and it's one of the best paragraphs about Chelsea I've ever read:

This applies to so many of our former players- Lamps, JT, Kerry Dixon, Pat Nevin, Eidur, Drogba, Cundy, Walker, even players who had huge careers elsewhere like Desailly, Gullit, and Ballack. The list goes on and on.

It certainly doesn't apply to Alan Hudson.

I think it mainly stems from him coming back in 83 and not getting a game. He was up against Spackman, Bumstead, Nevin, Canoville and was rightly not going to be an automatic choice. He got a lot of compo after his accident and through a mixture of bad business deals and pissing it up against the wall he then went cap in hand to Chelsea and got the hump when the club wouldn't (rightly in my opinion) help. I read Ossie's book I borrowed it to a mate and never saw it again so the saying ''neither a borrower nor a lender be'' has applied to me ever since.

39 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

I think it mainly stems from him coming back in 83 and not getting a game. He was up against Spackman, Bumstead, Nevin, Canoville and was rightly not going to be an automatic choice. He got a lot of compo after his accident and through a mixture of bad business deals and pissing it up against the wall he then went cap in hand to Chelsea and got the hump when the club wouldn't (rightly in my opinion) help. I read Ossie's book I borrowed it to a mate and never saw it again so the saying ''neither a borrower nor a lender be'' has applied to me ever since.

I think that is definitely a factor. I'm just curious as to whether he went cap in hand to Stoke or Arsenal, because I certainly don't remember him slagging them off in the media. It could be something as pathetic as journalists going to him and saying 'I'll buy you a few drinks and a meal and bung you a few quid if you say something bad about Chelsea. My editor says we're a bit light on anti-Chelsea stories this week and we need something to fill our pages". Given the hardship he's had since his career ended, he's probably willing to say anything to supplement his income.

I've bumped into him a few times in Wimbledon Village and the Churchill Arms in Kensington- wears his Cup Winners Cup Medal on a chain- decent company- get the impression he didn't have a post football plan, and back then they didn't earn enough dough to retire once the boots came off.

Little bit world owes him a living, being a gambler and drinker probably doesn't help.

Credit due however for being a very good player for us, who no doubt contributed heavily for CFC during our brief spell of 70's glory. 

Hudson fails to mention Bates giving him a job working as a host during home games when he needed help, he got let go because he kept getting pissed up.

Older fans on here, by all means tell me i'm talking crap but i cant help thinking the early 70s team underachieved overall with the talent we had, yes we won two cups but we also had some shocking results, losing to div 2 Stoke in the league cup final in 72 for one, losing to the likes of Orient in the cup, losing semi finals late 60s.

What annoys me is some of the 70s players in the past were happy to slag the club off in the press for a quick buck & then wondered why Bates told them to eff off when they wanted free tickets.

Likes of Osgood-R.I.P & Harris were always quick to slate the club when we were struggling, all it did was feed the tabloids narrative against Bates.

Carshalton an absolutly tremendous post. In my family i have two elder brothers me and the eldest were the "herberts" the middle one watched the football and joined in only when he had too. I loved to join in first but also loved anything Chelsea South West london is all that matters and Chelsea Football club, the rest of london is was and always will be shall we say "unclean."

Please dont put Bates on a pedestal he wanted to kill us. He did not have to put up with police beating you for no reason in any part of this country or abroad, we  got "what was coming to us" in his mind though I agree he picked us up again when we were sh*t and got rid of the leeches.Stocholm was a great example, coming home was absolute chaos bates did not give a monkeys.

You are right about the early 70s team underachievers really but they were CHELSEA my Chelsea always will be. The ex players  were bound to bad mouth us, they were working class kids that came good just because they could play football. They lost out on thousands compared to even 10 years after the end of their careers.erarnt

One thing is they are and always will be Chelsea. To me Greaves s truly the one who forgot where he started he never ever has a good word to say about us always N17. Might be good reason he may get drinks cheaper at N17. That is my opinion.

You are right but please Bates never loved Chelsea, he was a business man from up north.who made his money out of the club.  "us Herberts" though he hated us kept Chelsea going.at the time. Then the Russian came and he got his sheckles and was off.

Your posts are fantastic and we are allowed to give our opinions thank god our Grandparents fought for that right. Keep the faith you do tremendous work on this board Thank you.

On 11/20/2017 at 18:13, Carshalton Blue said:

Older fans on here, by all means tell me i'm talking crap but i cant help thinking the early 70s team underachieved overall with the talent we had, yes we won two cups but we also had some shocking results, losing to div 2 Stoke in the league cup final in 72 for one, losing to the likes of Orient in the cup, losing semi finals late 60s.

Not really sure that they underachieved, two trophies was probably akin to expectations. Around that period there were a lot of very good sides and trophies on the whole were shared out among them. Although the side were folk legends to us fans, from memory alone we didn't have a lot of regular full internationals in the side. Quite rightly you state that 1972 was a disappointment , Stoke were Div1 but we were expected to win, as for Orient ,football gave up plenty of shocks in the cup in those days. Quite probably why older fans hold the trophy with such high regard, our memories being filled with the likes of Orient, Hereford,Colchester etc. We were though an honest side that gave their all for the badge and the period of following the team in those days gave many a lot of happy memories.

Edited by charierre

27 minutes ago, charierre said:

Not really sure that they underachieved, two trophies was probably akin to expectations. Around that period there were a lot of very good sides and trophies on the whole were shared out among them. Although the side were folk legends to us fans, from memory alone we didn't have a lot of regular full internationals in the side. Quite rightly you state that 1972 was a disappointment , Stoke were Div1 but we were expected to win, as for Orient ,football gave up plenty of shocks in the cup in those days. Quite probably why older fans hold the trophy with such high regard, our memories being filled with the likes of Orient, Hereford,Colchester etc. We were though an honest side that gave their all for the badge and the period of following the team in those days gave many a lot of happy memories.

To be fair whilst trophies were shared around we should have won a league title. Maybe only one but.......

The players we had were great but so was their lifestyle which meant they never always played to potential. If only they had won the league. They would be proper legends but i still hold them in high esteem. 

Bonnetti was my favourite only because i am (sorry WAS) a keeper, but Chopper, Hollins, Osgood to name a few

41 minutes ago, chi blue said:

My first Chelsea kit, Micky droy reminds me of myself strutting out on to our local park in that full kit with my football under my arm!!!

How special was it as a kid to go over the park in your brand new football kit you got for Christmas with a ball like that under your arm. And going to get a new pair of football boots - BLACK of course!

To this day, still one of my most memorable Christmas presents must have been about 1973/4, was my first leather football and it was just like that one - black and white panels.  

It's a ropey old ball Droys got there- no doubt a kick about ball but rag arse rovers all the same.  The club was probably too skint for luxurys such as new balls back then.

I don't think that type of black and white ball was ever used in the football league- definitely was in internationals.

70's and 80's was Mitre Multiplex or Mitre Max from memory

Edited by Ewell CFC

4 hours ago, Nibs said:

How special was it as a kid to go over the park in your brand new football kit you got for Christmas with a ball like that under your arm. And going to get a new pair of football boots - BLACK of course!

To this day, still one of my most memorable Christmas presents must have been about 1973/4, was my first leather football and it was just like that one - black and white panels.  

O I forgot to say nibs, that wasn't me as a kid dressed in full kit and going over the park, it was last Saturday at the age of 48!!! Got a few funny looks though!!

11 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

It's a ropey old ball Droys got there- no doubt a kick about ball but rag arse rovers all the same.  The club was probably too skint for luxurys such as new balls back then.

I don't think that type of black and white ball was ever used in the football league- definitely was in internationals.

70's and 80's was Mitre Multiplex or Mitre Max from memory

I found a Mitre ball in the Thames near Putney Bridge, probably from Craven Cottage.  I was the king of the park for weeks.

6 hours ago, erskblue said:

Getting your new Chelsea strip or anything Chelsea for Christmas or your birthday was brilliant as a kid.

Did anyone wear other teams kits when they were a kid? From the age of 7 - 12, I practically lived in football kit so as well as Chelsea, I can recall having Newcastle, Wolves and Crystal Palace. Wasn't quite so easy to get kits back in those days as it wasn't the huge business it is today but I did like the Newcastle and Palace kits in particular. One disturbing part to this though, one Christmas our Nan bought me, my brother and cousin Tottenham kits, so there is still a black & white photo somewhere of us all sitting by the Christmas tree with the cock on display.

Even to this day, we all have to undergo periodic counselling sessions!!