Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Carshalton Blue

Vintage Blues pictures and film

On 22/11/2017 at 08:02, Nibs said:

How special was it as a kid to go over the park in your brand new football kit you got for Christmas with a ball like that under your arm. And going to get a new pair of football boots - BLACK of course!

To this day, still one of my most memorable Christmas presents must have been about 1973/4, was my first leather football and it was just like that one - black and white panels.  

Got the yellow and green Umbro kit for Xmas 78 with Puma phantom boots and a couple of footballs. Went over the park it was wet and muddy hated getting my new socks muddy! Also found out the black and white ball like in the picture with Micky Droy when the paint flakes off it fills with water and it was like heading a medicine ball!! BUT in My fiftieth year glad I’ve got those memories rather than memories on a computer game.

10 hours ago, Nibs said:

Did anyone wear other teams kits when they were a kid? From the age of 7 - 12, I practically lived in football kit so as well as Chelsea, I can recall having Newcastle, Wolves and Crystal Palace. Wasn't quite so easy to get kits back in those days as it wasn't the huge business it is today but I did like the Newcastle and Palace kits in particular. One disturbing part to this though, one Christmas our Nan bought me, my brother and cousin Tottenham kits, so there is still a black & white photo somewhere of us all sitting by the Christmas tree with the cock on display.

Even to this day, we all have to undergo periodic counselling sessions!! 

I confess I did have the Don Rodgers Palace shirt, white with the thick claret and blue vertical stripes.  The collar was so tight it hurt my ears getting it on and off.

On 22/11/2017 at 12:56, erskblue said:

I think that the adidas Tango football might have been used in season 1978/79?

Or perhaps I am totally wrong. Or I might be getting mixed up with it being used in Scottish League Football that season.

Your right. After Argentina 78 World Cup. My mum worked in a sports shop and the real thing was 60£! Mitre Multiplex 2.5 was around 25-30£ I found one in a tree at the Bank of England sports club which was near Barnes I think in 1980. Fantastic ball, lasted for ages and all my mates loved using it. Heavier than lesser priced balls but helped build your leg power for long passing and shooting.

On 13/11/2017 at 23:06, chi blue said:

All season it was between the four, us, Wednesday, Newcastle and city, Wednesday looked like winning the title but we pipped them at the end, city fell away and missed going up, while Keegan and the Geordies got 3rd spot. Is it really 33 plus years ago? I know nostalgia and the passing of time makes the old times seem better and better than they probably were, but they really were good times  back then. I was 15 and the world at my feet, now I'm typing this sitting in my bed with a  hot water bottle and putting my oil olay on.

Grimsby, I was there too, we drove up in a friends Opel Manta. Quite a day it all went so quickly. I think i remember a few of us sitting behind the goal in the closing stages of the game. 

Edited by One Tommy Langley

13 hours ago, Nibs said:

Did anyone wear other teams kits when they were a kid? From the age of 7 - 12, I practically lived in football kit so as well as Chelsea, I can recall having Newcastle, Wolves and Crystal Palace. Wasn't quite so easy to get kits back in those days as it wasn't the huge business it is today but I did like the Newcastle and Palace kits in particular. One disturbing part to this though, one Christmas our Nan bought me, my brother and cousin Tottenham kits, so there is still a black & white photo somewhere of us all sitting by the Christmas tree with the cock on display.

Even to this day, we all have to undergo periodic counselling sessions!! 

yeah i had the man city away shirt red and black stripes which i really liked and also a friend gave me a liverpool white with red cuffs and collar away shirt too.

They were cotton back then.

Edited by One Tommy Langley

7 hours ago, Peckham Blue said:

I confess I did have the Don Rodgers Palace shirt, white with the thick claret and blue vertical stripes.  The collar was so tight it hurt my ears getting it on and off.

That's it exactly!!

I had the same one - great shirt that, but as you say, getting it off - hurt the ears like mad!!

Where did everyone get there Chelsea kits from back in the day ?. As I recall some sports shops would only sell certain kits the Admiral ones seemed the most widely available. Selfridges and Soccerscene in Carnaby Street had nearly everything between them. The first widely available Chelsea kits were the Le Coq Sportif ones I bought the away one in 81

extra_football_shirt_15297_1.jpg

Jimmy Hendrie- assistant physio; trainer 1979- 1987, in me local the Green Man Ewell ( big Chelsea pub)

Glasweigan chap- Gers and Chelsea fan- he was part time for the couple of years- full time after.

Alround good bloke and great craic.

ps I can't orientate the pic- if anyone can turn Jimmy the right way round he'd be very grateful

11 hours ago, One Tommy Langley said:

yeah i had the man city away shirt red and black stripes which i really liked and also a friend gave me a liverpool white with red cuffs and collar away shirt too.

They were cotton back then.

A Southampton yellow and blue admiral away strip in the late 1970s. An aunt bought me it for a Christmas present. Why Southampton away,to this day I have no idea why !!

20 hours ago, Peckham Blue said:

I had Glasgow Rangers, Scotland, Argentina (during Falklands war ffs!!! i was naive), Wales and Brazil. Rather walk around in stockings and high heels than wear another clubs colours.

9 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

The shop near Fulham Broadway- was that an official club shop or otherwise? Can't remember

Strange that the shop near the broadway stocked more than the official portacabin next to the east stand ticket office.

10 hours ago, bluehaze said:

Where did everyone get there Chelsea kits from back in the day ?. As I recall some sports shops would only sell certain kits the Admiral ones seemed the most widely available. Selfridges and Soccerscene in Carnaby Street had nearly everything between them. The first widely available Chelsea kits were the Le Coq Sportif ones I bought the away one in 81

I think once the kits took off late 70s it was getting ridiculous queuing to go one way through the porta cabin! Still didn’t have the big sports outlets like lillywhites sports direct etc. As you say soccer scene in London was good and there was a good sports shop between Wimbledon and Kingston. I know a united fan who got the blue Admiral shirt they used once a season against stoke or Southampton. Can’t remember the name of it but sure any locals on here would know. No sale or return in those days for the shops so I think most just sold local stuff to make sure it sold.

12 hours ago, bluehaze said:

Ours used to come from a sports shop in Fulham High Street just up from Putney Bridge near the junction with Fulham Road.  The Bonetti kit was the first I ever got.

On 20/11/2017 at 21:32, Londons Finest said:

Carshalton an absolutly tremendous post. In my family i have two elder brothers me and the eldest were the "herberts" the middle one watched the football and joined in only when he had too. I loved to join in first but also loved anything Chelsea South West london is all that matters and Chelsea Football club, the rest of london is was and always will be shall we say "unclean."

Please dont put Bates on a pedestal he wanted to kill us. He did not have to put up with police beating you for no reason in any part of this country or abroad, we  got "what was coming to us" in his mind though I agree he picked us up again when we were sh*t and got rid of the leeches.Stocholm was a great example, coming home was absolute chaos bates did not give a monkeys.

You are right about the early 70s team underachievers really but they were CHELSEA my Chelsea always will be. The ex players  were bound to bad mouth us, they were working class kids that came good just because they could play football. They lost out on thousands compared to even 10 years after the end of their careers.erarnt

One thing is they are and always will be Chelsea. To me Greaves s truly the one who forgot where he started he never ever has a good word to say about us always N17. Might be good reason he may get drinks cheaper at N17. That is my opinion.

You are right but please Bates never loved Chelsea, he was a business man from up north.who made his money out of the club.  "us Herberts" though he hated us kept Chelsea going.at the time. Then the Russian came and he got his sheckles and was off.

Your posts are fantastic and we are allowed to give our opinions thank god our Grandparents fought for that right. Keep the faith you do tremendous work on this board Thank you.

Hello J, did you enjoy Baku with our mutal? hope he didnt bring too many programmes home haha

I'm surprised you said Greaves was more pro Spurs than us, i've never really thought or heard he was like that, especially after his famous quote about the club, 215ae54abf8734f9abc4a3be54585a62.jpg

Maybe its an age thing but when we were on our knees & even in the early 90s when i was older & going everywhere, to see the likes of Harris slagging us off in the press used to piss me off, all it did was give the press & rival fans more ammo to dig us out with, i felt the same about that so called Chelsea fan Rob Beasley who constantly slagged us off in the NOTW paper in the 80s.

Maybe if i was going to games in the early 70s i'd have more of an affection with the players from that era but as it stands all i had was the 70 cup final on vhs to watch in the 80s.

Regards Bates i think fans forget some of the good he also did for us fans & just focus on some of the alledged crap he gave out.

CPO, genius putting a stop to any future owners selling SB from under our feet. Giving 30+ fans directors box tickets at Luton when the away fan ban was on even though he knew it'd cause him grief, buying a pub full of Chelsea a pint in Le Harve in 93, sticking up for us against the FA when there was crowd trouble to name a few things.

Dont get me wrong i love everything Chelsea even our past teams & players maybe thats why it wound me up when former players used to slag us off rather than try & help the club when we needed their help.

My local team in the west of Scotland were Greenock Morton. Their colours are blue and white and back then they had Umbro as their kit makers. So I was able to get blue and white Umbro t-shirts, shorts,socks etc but without any club badge which I happily used as Chelsea. I also had an Ajax top, a pair of Man Utd black admiral shorts both a Scotland and England strip. I remember that a local sports shop used to have a fair amount of Admiral,Gola and Umbro kit back then.