Jump to content




Carshalton Blue

Vintage Blues pictures and film


Recommended Posts

On 10/01/2018 at 11:57, erskblue said:

Read in an interview with Charlie Cooke that he was banned for 4 years in 1971 from the Scottish national side ! This was in Belguim . It involved him going for a heavy drinking session with some Old Firm players. Yet the Old Firm players weren't banned. Crazy. Charlie should have gone to the 1974 World Cup as part of the Scotland squad.

Big similarities there to the Ossie scenario- following previous chatter I did a bit of digging around. Coming into the 1970 tournament he was the 1st Divisions top scorer with 31 goals, and in his own words in the form of his life. Jeff Astle got put on as sub against Brazil, missed a sitter...

Ossie got the hump, went out and got pissed, missed training the next day, and didn't get picked for the next four years.

Not that he was ever an Alf Ramsey type player anyway- he was a disciplinarian and didn't take to flair players.

Little Alf Ramsey story going back to 66...Jimmy Greaves was now fit however wasn't starting against Portugal- he werent delighted about this. Riding high in the charts at the time was Cilla Black and the theme tune to Alfie. In Ramsey's earshot Jimmy used to start singing " What's it all about, Alfie?" !!

Made me laugh anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Famous CFC said:

Great, great day. Literally loved every minute of that final. By far my favourite Chelsea Fa Cup win. Never forget the emotion on Robbies face when he scored. I'm sure his sister was the proudest person in that stadium when Robbie scored for her. 

 

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

Interesting how many of that team became managers. Vialli, Hughes, Zola, De Matteo, Wise, Petrescu. Clarke, Newton a no 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2018 at 10:15, Boyne said:

I think you're right. One of the things I remember most about Clarke was the goal he scored against Liverpool. A left foot strike. I think it was in his last season for us. Am trying to find a video of it.

That as his first goal for 6 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, George Mills said:

When we signed Barkley, I had a discussion with my Dad about Scousers to play for Chelsea. We were struggling to think of any. Any ideas?

Kenny Swain is one, if you count Birkenhead as Scouse.

 

Scott Minto as well?

Edited by Charles Ryder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been looking for something else and found out we played our FA Cup Third Round tie on 15th Jan 1979 at Old Trafford.

It was a Monday,with a 3.15pm afternoon kick off. Game was postponed from Saturday 6th Jan due to bad weather. We lost. 3-0 . Weird that it was that time on a Monday. Or have I read this wrongly?!

Edited by erskblue
spelling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Famous CFC said:

Two of them managing Chelsea. One of them winning a European Cup managing Chelsea.

That night in Stockholm 

 

 

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

Good trip that was- incredibly laid back old bill I remember. Did anyone else stay in that weird holiday camp type set up in Stockholm, that was full of Chelsea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 02:25, Famous CFC said:

Great, great day. Literally loved every minute of that final. By far my favourite Chelsea Fa Cup win. Never forget the emotion on Robbies face when he scored. I'm sure his sister was the proudest person in that stadium when Robbie scored for her. 

 

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

What a great feeling that day at the final whistle. We had won the FA Cup. My first major trophy as a Chelsea supporter. And I had been one since 1974. Amazing, just amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, erskblue said:

What a great feeling that day at the final whistle. We had won the FA Cup. My first major trophy as a Chelsea supporter. And I had been one since 1974. Amazing, just amazing.

Unbelievable feeling when we won it. Drama from the very start to the end. From Robbies goal, to Middlesbroughs goal ruled out, to Viallis standing ovation at getting on, to blue is the colour after we won it and lifted that trophy. Memories. 

Edited by Famous CFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, erskblue said:

Just been looking for something else and found out we played our FA Cup Third Round tie on 15th Jan 1979 at Old Trafford.

It was a Monday,with a 3.15pm afternoon kick off. Game was postponed from Saturday 6th Jan due to bad weather. We lost. 3-0 . Weird that it was that time on a Monday. Or have I read this wrongly?!

I'm sure you've got that wrong. I remember listening to it on the radio, and I'd have been in school if we'd kicked off in the afternoon. My one recollection of the game is Osgood playing centre-back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Famous CFC said:

Unbelievable feeling when we won it. Drama from the very start to the end. From Robbies goal, to Middlesbroughs goal ruled out, to Viallis standing ovation at getting on, to blue is the colour after we won it and lifted that trophy. Memories. 

 

16 hours ago, erskblue said:

Shattered and absolutely delighted at the final whistle. What a difference to the final whistle of the 1994 Cup Final.

Was a great day in 1997. The atmosphere was brilliant. Went back to a pub near the Bridge after leaving Wembley and there was a great party atmosphere. Robbie's goal was brilliant. Was at the game in 1994 and what a horrible day that was. If only Gavin's shot had got in and there was an awful refereeing decision for United's second penalty. As I was at the game I hoped to record the game on my VCR but as it was broken one of my sisters recorded the game for me. After she saw the result my sister didn't give me the tape knowing I couldn't watch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mate got married the day we beat Man United 2-1 at Old Trafford in 1996. I was in a great mood my mate said his mum had taped it so I was really looking forward to watching it. At about two in the morning my mate staggers into his mums comes back with the tape while I'm waiting in a cab. I got home poured myself a massive brandy put the tape on he'd given me The Bill !! I was absolutely gutted ha ha. He's a Chelsea fan and was extremely pissed so it was a genuine mistake but to say I wasn't happy is an understatement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 20:44, Famous CFC said:

Two of them managing Chelsea. One of them winning a European Cup managing Chelsea

Indeed and outside of Chelsea none of them achieved anything of note. Hughes maybe but he seems to be another Steve Bruce gets a lot of jobs despite having a fairly average record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, bluehaze said:

My mate got married the day we beat Man United 2-1 at Old Trafford in 1996. I was in a great mood my mate said his mum had taped it so I was really looking forward to watching it. At about two in the morning my mate staggers into his mums comes back with the tape while I'm waiting in a cab. I got home poured myself a massive brandy put the tape on he'd given me The Bill !! I was absolutely gutted ha ha. He's a Chelsea fan and was extremely pissed so it was a genuine mistake but to say I wasn't happy is an understatement.

We had some good times at OT around then. The song to the tune of That's Amore went " When the ball hits the back of the Old Trafford net, that's Vialli....When your face is so glum and your names Ferguson, that's Vialli....

" Sixty thousand muppets" was another popular one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 19:40, Backbiter said:

I'm sure you've got that wrong. I remember listening to it on the radio, and I'd have been in school if we'd kicked off in the afternoon. My one recollection of the game is Osgood playing centre-back.

Okay cheers. I genuinely wasn't sure. I'll try and do some more research on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, erskblue said:

Okay cheers. I genuinely wasn't sure. I'll try and do some more research on it.

I think your right about a 3.15 kick off. I have a vague memory of it I do remember Ossie playing at centre back. The cup games were due to be played on the 6th this didn't take place till the 15th. Here is a link to the matchday programme. The programme says the 6th but they wouldn't have done a reprint to change the date. The 15th of Jan 1979 was a Monday.

http://www.footballzone.co.uk/manchester-united-1978-1979-c-742_4_37/manchester-united-v-chelsea-1979-fa-cup-p-1512.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×