Carshalton Blue

Vintage Blues pictures and film

Just seen the picture of Kenny Swain playing for us. 119 games with 26 goals.

I then checked out Steve 'Jock' Finnestons record with us. Impressed by it. 80 games with 34 goals. He had to retire through injury when just 25 in 1980.

13 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Cheers for that. For anyone interested in local history I read a book a while back by Harold Clunn called the Face of London which was printed in the mid 60s.

He reckoned that the part of Fulham bounded by North End Rd, Lillee Rd, Munster Rd, Greyhound Rd and Star Road was as mean as anywhere to be found in the East End.

Yet when I've spoken to fellas from that End who were around then, they reckoned that Sands End was rougher.

He's probably right.  I was brought up in the nice bit near Hurlingham, even Sullivan Court nearby didn't really have gang.  Clem Attlee Court in Lillie Road, Fulham Court along Fulham Road near the Police Station and Twyfold Road off Munster Road were pretty tough places.  Sands End had all the old scrapyards bordering it.

7 hours ago, erskblue said:

Just seen the picture of Kenny Swain playing for us. 119 games with 26 goals.

I then checked out Steve 'Jock' Finnestons record with us. Impressed by it. 80 games with 34 goals. He had to retire through injury when just 25 in 1980.

Yes, Kenny Swain was excellent for us. I was annoyed when he went to Villa as I thought he would struggle to get into the side. Dennis Mortimer and Gordon Cowans in midfield, Gary Shaw and Tony Morley in attack. But Saunders slotted him into the full back role which made him one of the most cultured defenders around. You look at that Villa side and there was loads of pace throughout the team. Superb side.

Amazingly few of that Aston Villa side of 1980-82 were capped by England. Peter Withe and Tony Morley off the top of my head and Alan Evans for Scotland. Remember thinking in 1980-81 Ipswich Town would win the title. Cracking side.

Sorry just wandered down memory lane. I'll be back to my 1983-84 Chelsea memories again shortly!

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:43, erskblue said:

Anyone know the crowd that day? Great fact about the Charlton keeper !

Isn't that a Charlton fan suggesting that their goal keeper didn't realise that Chelsea had left the pitch as he hadn't seen the Chelsea attach for some time anyway?

The Charlton goalkeeper from the 1937 fog game was Sam Bartram. He played over 500 games for Charlton in a career,like so many players of the time,interrupted by the Second World War. He stated in his autobiography that he hadn't seen any action for a considerable time and thought that Charlton were well om top at the Chelsea goalmouth. It was a policeman who appeared out of the fog and told him that the game had finished 15 minutes ago ! It abandoned in the 61st minute with the score 1-1.

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 20:40, Munkworth said:

Saw this randomly and nicked it. Hands up, who was there that day? :laugh2:

A27A2CD9-C5F9-4015-9E72-4CD501C1954E.jpeg

Just wondering. Didn't any of the Charlton team wonder where their keeper, Sam Bartram actually was? While they were in the changing room after the game was abandoned and he was still out in his own penalty box !

On 14/03/2018 at 11:51, Boyne said:

29216017_1615408061860648_2050576421159436288_n.jpg

I think this picture was taken during a pre-season practice match. 

Blues vs Yellows. Went to the game. The shed and east stand were open for the game. Strange how it came about, must have been to look at the squad with all those new players. Never saw this fixture before or after this one. Would be good to do this before the start of the season as we always go abroad now. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, erskblue said:

Just wondering. Didn't any of the Charlton team wonder where their keeper, Sam Bartram actually was? While they were in the changing room after the game was abandoned and he was still out in his own penalty box !

That wasn't fog that was all the fans smoking their pipes :smile:. This is a good documentary that was on a few years ago the difference when we won the cup in 2007 and the 1957 final.

Edited by bluehaze

On 14/03/2018 at 11:51, Boyne said:

29216017_1615408061860648_2050576421159436288_n.jpg

I think this picture was taken during a pre-season practice match. 

A certain few things always stand out and remind me of my teenage years when I hear them and see them, certain songs, certain clothes, particular friends or news stories of the time, but very much up there bringing back memories are those two kits and that team (Ersk)

On 13/03/2018 at 20:40, Munkworth said:

Saw this randomly and nicked it. Hands up, who was there that day? :laugh2:

A27A2CD9-C5F9-4015-9E72-4CD501C1954E.jpeg

You can keep your Italian, Turkish and Serbian ultras and all their fireworks and smoke bombs, this is Chelsea old skool doing it proper!!!!!

On 14/03/2018 at 11:41, erskblue said:

Amazingly few of that Aston Villa side of 1980-82 were capped by England. Peter Withe and Tony Morley off the top of my head and Alan Evans for Scotland. Remember thinking in 1980-81 Ipswich Town would win the title. Cracking side.

Sorry just wandered down memory lane. I'll be back to my 1983-84 Chelsea memories again shortly!

Villa and Ipswich were terrific sides, ipwich beat villa twice that season but ipwich only came second and also lost in cup semi to city, if I remember from my Saturday afternoons watching Grandstand and World of sport Paul power scored for city. Following season villa won European cup and Ipwich UEFA cup. Forest, Villa and Ipwich wonderful teams

Read recently that John Neal took the new 1983/84 squad to a beach on the West Welsh coast for some pre season training. It was sand dunes they ran up and the local seagulls had a feast! The new players could not believe it. John Neal had taken Wrexham to the same beach a few years before. Seems to have worked!

1 hour ago, erskblue said:

Read recently that John Neal took the new 1983/84 squad to a beach on the West Welsh coast for some pre season training. It was sand dunes they ran up and the local seagulls had a feast! The new players could not believe it. John Neal had taken Wrexham to the same beach a few years before. Seems to have worked!

Talking of the 1983-84 squad there is an interview with Eddie in latest club magazine. A great goalie and such a shame that his career was cut short. As for running up sand dunes I wonder if John Neal got the idea from the legendary Jock Wallace.

The sand dunes of Wales were probably good practice for playing on our own sandy pitch- it was like Blackpool beach some winters.

Talking of Blackpool beach, when we played up their a few years back, some fellas I know were deliberately playing up to the Flash Cockney stereotype by paying over the odds for donkey rides ( making the Northern holidaymakers look like paupers)

Posted (edited)

Sam Bartram played against us at Wembley in both the 1944 and 1945 South Cup Finals. He played for Charlton in 1944 as they beat us 3-1 then for Millwall in 1945 as we won 2-0.

Incidentally he played in the 1946 and 1947 FA Cup Finals too. On the losing side in 1946,but getting a winners medal in 1947 as Charlton beat Burnley 1-0.

Edited by erskblue

3 hours ago, erskblue said:

A few photos of the running on the sand dunes.

Image result for chelsea sand dunes 1983