Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Carshalton Blue

Vintage Blues pictures and film

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Richard P said:

In through double doors. Long wooden bar top old shelves behind with crisps toffee popcorn and wagon wheels!! Tea and Bovril. In answer to your memory “just a big featureless space!”

Cheers mate- your description jogged a few grey cells back. 

East Upper bar at halftime, was standing next to Sam aka Lovejoy- he was having a torrid time with the bar staff- Pinky and Perky he named em- anyway the barman hands him 2 pints which were poured earlier. 

Sam " freshly poured please. For all I know  you've been bathing your plonker in them!

Edited by Ewell CFC

3 hours ago, Boyne said:

Thirty years ago today we played Middlesbrough in the second-leg of relegation play-off.

Saw online the local Middleborough paper the gazette has a big write up on it, sorry I'm not i.t enough to put it on here, what a day that was!!!

7 hours ago, chi blue said:

Saw online the local Middleborough paper the gazette has a big write up on it, sorry I'm not i.t enough to put it on here, what a day that was!!!

Is this the article? Can't believe it's 30 years ago. Where have all the years gone.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/story-middlesbroughs-battle-stamford-bridge-14691960

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Boyne said:

Is this the article? Can't believe it's 30 years ago. Where have all the years gone.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/story-middlesbroughs-battle-stamford-bridge-14691960

Yes mate that's the article, cheers, funny really, remember being there in shed that day, and thinking it was no where near as bad trouble wise as Sunderland in Milk cup in 85, maybe a night game or being a bit younger made it feel worse. 30 years though, bloody hell!!

Edited by chi blue
Spelling

2 hours ago, chi blue said:

Yes mate that's the article, cheers, funny really, remember being there in shed that day, and thinking it was no where near as bad trouble wise as Sunderland in Milk cup in 85, maybe a night game or being a bit younger made it feel worse. 30 years though, bloody hell!!

Was also in the Shed. Like you, I didn't think that the trouble was as bad as during the game against Sunderland. That was a night!

(29th August 1964) Match Of The Day - Chelsea v Sunderland  

29th August: The second Saturday of the 1964/65 season and after two straight wins Tommy Docherty's young Chelsea side are joint leaders of the First Division. "Match of the Day" visits Stamford Bridge to see whether they can continue their fine start against winless Sunderland.

Commentated by Kenneth Wolstenholme with analysis from Wally Barnes.

Some great footage here,

9 hours ago, erskblue said:

(19th September 1964) Match Of The Day - Chelsea v Leeds United  

Never seen this match footage before.

We won 2-0 ! Sorry to spoil the result for anyone !!

I see Eddie Mac and Chopper warming up for tastier encounters to come, with a couple of 'meaty' tackles. You could see the animosity between Harris and Bremner festering even then. Astonishing to see that there were no substitutes in evidence, with Leeds down to nine men at one point. I did chuckle when Kenneth Wolstenholme said that George Graham's fantastic volley that hit the bar "deserved the Oscar for this game!"

8 minutes ago, old git said:

I see Eddie Mac and Chopper warming up for tastier encounters to come, with a couple of 'meaty' tackles. You could see the animosity between Harris and Bremner festering even then. Astonishing to see that there were no substitutes in evidence, with Leeds down to nine men at one point. I did chuckle when Kenneth Wolstenholme said that George Graham's fantastic volley that hit the bar "deserved the Oscar for this game!"

They , substitutes, weren't introduced in English football until the following 1965/66 season.

Had to check to be fair.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/when-saturday-comes-blog/2015/sep/18/fifty-years-substitutions-football-sport

11 hours ago, erskblue said:

29th August: The second Saturday of the 1964/65 season and after two straight wins Tommy Docherty's young Chelsea side are joint leaders of the First Division. "Match of the Day" visits Stamford Bridge to see whether they can continue their fine start against winless Sunderland.

Some great footage here,

I noticed that there wasn't one camera shot of the managers in their dug outs. No substitutes then, so there was little for them to do but look on like the rest of us.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, erskblue said:

Some great footage here,

Great stuff. The " old West Stand" wasn't built until 65, so the camera position must have been or that huge side of terracing.

Thought that might have been a broken leg when Johnny Giles got stretchered off, but knee ligaments according to Wikopedia.

Edited by Ewell CFC