Vintage Blues pictures and film

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

5 hours ago, old git said:

Not a very inspiring season that. Our away form was despicable, although beating Spurs at White Hart Lane goes without saying. Another highlight was Man. Utd. getting relegated.

It was also this 73- 74 season that Sexton began breaking up that great side. Hudson and Osgood sold because of disagreements with Sexton. 

"Bring back, bring back, bring back our Ossie to us, to us, bring back, bring back, bring back our Ossie to us"

On 20/06/2018 at 14:06, bluehaze said:

Couldn't cut and paste photo above without the blank extra bit sorry great picture though.

Thanks Bluehaze. My late missus took that back in 1980, we beat Oldham 3-0 and thought we were promoted but got pipped by Sunderland.

I only went in the West Stand if she was with me.White Wall for me otherwise.

22 minutes ago, Midland Shed said:

Thanks Bluehaze. My late missus took that back in 1980, we beat Oldham 3-0 and thought we were promoted but got pipped by Sunderland.

I only went in the West Stand if she was with me.White Wall for me otherwise.

I was there Ron Harris played his last game for us. I was more middle / west side .

Edited by bluehaze

Stan Bowles playing against us in the photo above, was I believe fond of an occasional pint and an occasional bet.

In 1979, Bowles fell out with QPR's new manager Tommy Doc.  Bowles responded to Docherty's plea of  "You can trust me, Stan" with "I'd rather trust my chickens with Colonel Sanders. Docherty made Bowles train with the reserves for nearly six months, before selling him to Brian Clough's Forest in December 1979.

Despite the fallout between Docherty and Bowles, Docherty continued to play Bowles for QPR right up until he was sold to Nottingham Forest where he played for them 19 times in 1979/80 and scored 2 goals.

In June 2015, very sadly, Stan Bowles was reported to be suffering from Alzheimer's Disease.

19 hours ago, erskblue said:

Stan Bowles playing against us in the photo above, was I believe fond of an occasional pint and an occasional bet.

In 1979, Bowles fell out with QPR's new manager Tommy Doc.  Bowles responded to Docherty's plea of  "You can trust me, Stan" with "I'd rather trust my chickens with Colonel Sanders. Docherty made Bowles train with the reserves for nearly six months, before selling him to Brian Clough's Forest in December 1979.

Despite the fallout between Docherty and Bowles, Docherty continued to play Bowles for QPR right up until he was sold to Nottingham Forest where he played for them 19 times in 1979/80 and scored 2 goals.

In June 2015, very sadly, Stan Bowles was reported to be suffering from Alzheimer's Disease.

QPR had a benifit match for him last year with a very decent turnout.

Theres legions of SB stories including this one...

In 73 when Sunderland one the FA Cup, the next home game they paraded it at Roker Park. Apparently they placed it on some sort of table pitchside.

Stan had a bet with a team mate that he could knock it off its perch with his first touch... the game kicked off, Bowles received the ball, made no attempt to find a fellow player with a pass, instead side footed it smack into the FA Cup.

The crowd went apesh*t and he was lucky to get out the place alive.

He was also well known for arriving in the dressing room with minutes to spare because he’d been in the bookies.

On 08/07/2018 at 17:15, Boyne said:

Related image

Back in August 1987 I would have had that picture on my bedroom wall - all full of optimism for the coming season, fully unaware that it was going to become The Season of DOOM!

How did such a decent squad manage to do so badly? I guess we know the answer - John Hollins and Ernie Walley.

Boyne; That picture above at The Bridge could be from the 1921 FA Cup Final.

Spuds beat Wolves 1-0 in front of 72,805.

The players in the picture seems to be closer to the strips rather than those who played in the 1920 Aston Villa v Huddersfield and 1922 Huddersfield v Preston North End.

The crowds for these two Finals were 50,016 and 53,000 respectively.

There were three FA Cup Finals in a row at The Bridge, 1920,21 and 1922.

10 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

QPR had a benifit match for him last year with a very decent turnout.

Theres legions of SB stories including this one...

In 73 when Sunderland one the FA Cup, the next home game they paraded it at Roker Park. Apparently they placed it on some sort of table pitchside.

Stan had a bet with a team mate that he could knock it off its perch with his first touch... the game kicked off, Bowles received the ball, made no attempt to find a fellow player with a pass, instead side footed it smack into the FA Cup.

The crowd went apesh*t and he was lucky to get out the place alive.

He was also well known for arriving in the dressing room with minutes to spare because he’d been in the bookies.

I've just checked. Stan Bowles won a European Super Cup Winners Medal in his short with Forest !

He played in the second (away) leg v Barcelona in front of 80,000 in Feb 1980

It was a 1-1 draw, with Forest winning 2-1 on aggregate. Charlie George, yes that Charlie George scoring at the City Ground a week earlier.

I'd completely forgotten Charlie George had played for Forest . He was in fact on loan there from Southampton for just 4 games in January 1980 !

Edited by erskblue
spelling