Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Carshalton Blue

Vintage Blues pictures and film

20 minutes ago, erskblue said:

Boyne; That picture above at The Bridge could be from the 1921 FA Cup Final.

Spuds beat Wolves 1-0 in front of 72,805.

The players in the picture seems to be closer to the strips rather than those who played in the 1920 Aston Villa v Huddersfield and 1922 Huddersfield v Preston North End.

The crowds for these two Finals were 50,016 and 53,000 respectively.

There were three FA Cup Finals in a row at The Bridge, 1920,21 and 1922.

@erskblue Thanks for the information. The skyline behind the North Stand has changed a lot since the twenties!

2 hours ago, erskblue said:

It was the puddles ( I assume they are puddles !) on the pitch in the picture above, caught my eye too !

Yeah some changes.

I think the pyramid type structure of the building in the background is the roof of Earls Court Exibition centre, which only got flattened recently.

Its the only thing I recognise in the skyline.

On 17/07/2018 at 13:16, Boyne said:

Not sure when this photo was taken. Am guessing in the twenties or thirties.

Image result for stamford bridge 1921

The thing that caught my eye was the raised platform with a ladder leaning up against it..................can you imagine that today !.........."there you go Ladies and Gents, climb up the ladder and take your places" !!.

7 hours ago, Osgood is Good said:

The thing is I have also stood on walls, spiked rail fences, etc. to watch Chelsea.

Flood light pylons were good!! Stood on one at Bolton in the rain at the famous 1-0 in 83. Did it at one other away game but can’t remember where. Might have been Cambridge Utd.

13 minutes ago, Richard P said:

Flood light pylons were good!! Stood on one at Bolton in the rain at the famous 1-0 in 83. Did it at one other away game but can’t remember where. Might have been Cambridge Utd.

The Clive Walker goal, one of the few highlights of what is possibly the worst season I've experienced with Chelsea. I wasn't sure if that was a floodlight pylon but you're probably right it is. I remember the massive concrete one that used to be in about the same place.

9 hours ago, Richard P said:

The two grounds that spring to mind are Cambridge ( I did once count how many steps were in the away end and it wasnt many), and Brisbane Road.

Didnt Hickey once climb up a floodlight at Brisbane Road whilst dressed in a Gorrilla suit?

Edited by Ewell CFC

1 hour ago, Ewell CFC said:

The two grounds that spring to mind are Cambridge ( I did once count how many steps were in the away end and it wasnt many), and Brisbane Road.

Didnt Hickey once climb up a floodlight at Brisbane Road whilst dressed in a Gorrilla suit?

Yes, the FA Cup game where the walls went down.

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 08:42, Boyne said:

Watched the Big Match Revisited on BT Sport last night. One of the games shown was us against Blackpool at the Bridge in 1977. The score was 2-2 and our goals came from Swain and Wicks. Highlights below.

In the second-half Britton was tackled and the wrong Blackpool was booked. 

Cheers for posting.  Enjoyed watching it, my football, my Chelsea.

What I watched as a kid back then.

Look at the state of the pitch !

On 19/07/2018 at 20:31, Osgood is Good said:

The thing that caught my eye was the raised platform with a ladder leaning up against it..................can you imagine that today !.........."there you go Ladies and Gents, climb up the ladder and take your places" !!.

That was probably the directors box, back then!