• Gary Oldman, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
  • Brad Pitt, Moneyball

Best Director

• Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris
  • Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
  • Alexander Payne, The Descendants
  • Martin Scorsese, Hugo
  • Terrence Malick, The Tree of Life

Glad to see Oldman and Nolte nominated, neither will win though. Also glad to see Jonah Hill nominated, but that's more because I like him as a comedic actor and not because I thought he was outstanding in "Moneyball".

I still haven't seen "Drive" because it's taking its sweet time coming to DVD (next week actually), so I can't comment too much on the Albert Brooks snub. I thought Plummer was great in "Beginners" though, and given his age and career, you feel like he has to win it.

I heard "The Iron Lady" was just god awful, I hope Streep doesn't win.

I also heard "Extremely Loud" wasn't that great either, so it's Best Picture nomination seems to be the most surprising one. Not sure if I want to see it either, because I feel like I need to read the book first.

Some dismal choices there.

I really enjoy movies, but not awards ceremonies and definitely not the Oscars. Yech.

Haven't seen Albert Nobbs yet, so withholding judgment. Best movie I see listed there is The Descendants, which is really good.

I think the Academy could have done a lot better than they did. As usual.

Edited by wxwax

Was really dissapointed with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Storyline seemed alright but it was just a really bad movie. My girl and I decided it was perhaps the worst we have ever seen at the cinema.

I thought the story-telling was the same as the tone -- grey and flat. Had none of the subtle drama of the television series.

Was really dissapointed with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Storyline seemed alright but it was just a really bad movie. My girl and I decided it was perhaps the worst we have ever seen at the cinema.

I would strongly disagree. It's a film that punishes you if you don't pay full attention storywise, but I thought the art design and the way it was shot was stunning. The tension in the Circus sections was brilliantly done, made you genuinely scared of a bunch of people who would otherwise be seen as harmless. Was my fav film of the year.

Worst film I've ever seen at the cinema? Dumb and Dumberer.... *shudder*

It's disappointing that so many of the best Film nominations are giving awards to the subject matter or the director rather than the films themselves (but then that's so often the case).

I gave up on Woody Allen a long time ago. I just can't bring myself to watch Midnight, even tho it's his most successful film in decades.

I just looked it up: I have never seen a Woody Allen movie before Midnight in Paris. I liked MIP because a lot of it is about the people I studied for my literature degree, and because I love Owen Wilson in movies that aren't vulgar comedies, like every Wes Anderson movie he's ever done.

I have never seen a Woody Allen film that I liked. The man himself makes me cringe, and I'm not really sure why. So I'm not sure if I'll manage to make myself go to see Midnight in Paris. I'm not very keen on romantic comedies either. Maybe the only thing that would tempt me is the fact that Michael Sheen is in it.

Woody Allen makes me cringe now. Someone marrying their daughter has that effect on me.

Not really wanting to defend Allen. But the fact is he never married Mia Farrow, they never lived together and Soon-Yi was not one of the children they co-adopted. His relationship with Soon-Yi became known when she was 20 years of age.

However, Allen and Farrow did have one natural child and adopted two others. So yes, what he did with Soon-Yi, whom he'd known since she was 8 years old, is a bit creepy.

On the other hand, Allen and Soon-Yi have now been married for 15 years. And it's not because of her looks.

Not really wanting to defend Allen. But the fact is he never married Mia Farrow, they never lived together and Soon-Yi was not one of the children they co-adopted. His relationship with Soon-Yi became known when she was 20 years of age.

However, Allen and Farrow did have one natural child and adopted two others. So yes, what he did with Soon-Yi, whom he'd known since she was 8 years old, is a bit creepy.

On the other hand, Allen and Soon-Yi have now been married for 15 years. And it's not because of her looks.

And it's certainly not because of his either!

War Horse is in there, Seriously? I haven't watched it but it just looked crap, and had the Speilberg name attached to it.

We saw they trailer for it and I saaid to my wife "don't want to spoil anything, but I bet it ends up at the glue factory!" Which many horse in the wars did, but that didn't stop me getting a bollocking.

Woody Allen isn't in Midnight in Paris, moi, so at least you won't have to look at him. It's not overly romantic either. It's one of the few nominations I really enjoyed, but I'm a sucker for Hemingway, Dali, and others of the era.

By the way, went to pub quiz tonight and one of the questions was what was up for the most nominations this year. We wrote "Hugo" down and were correct, so me paying too much attention to the Oscars every year paid off.

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to get through all the nominated movies as well as the ones with nominated actors in them before the Oscars.

I'll have to see these movies:

"Hugo" - Best Picture

"My Week with Marilyn" - Actor in a Supporting Role (Kenneth Branagh) & Actress in a Leading Role (Michelle Williams)

"A Better Life" - Actor in a Leading Role (Demian Bichir)

"Beginners" - Actor in a Supporting Role (Christopher Plummer)

"Albert Nobbs" - Actress in a Leading Role (Glenn Close) & Actress in a Supporting Role (Janet McTeer)

"The Iron Lady" - Actress in a Leading Role (Meryl Streep)

If I have the time I'll also watch the animated movies "A Cat in Paris" and "Chico and Rita". Seen the other three nominated movies.

Think I'll skip the movies in "Foreign Language Film".

Trying to get through all the nominated movies as well as the ones with nominated actors in them before the Oscars.

I'll have to see these movies:

"Hugo" - Best Picture

"My Week with Marilyn" - Actor in a Supporting Role (Kenneth Branagh) & Actress in a Leading Role (Michelle Williams)

"A Better Life" - Actor in a Leading Role (Demian Bichir)

"Beginners" - Actor in a Supporting Role (Christopher Plummer)

"Albert Nobbs" - Actress in a Leading Role (Glenn Close) & Actress in a Supporting Role (Janet McTeer)

"The Iron Lady" - Actress in a Leading Role (Meryl Streep)

If I have the time I'll also watch the animated movies "A Cat in Paris" and "Chico and Rita". Seen the other three nominated movies.

Think I'll skip the movies in "Foreign Language Film".

Replace "Beginners" with "War Horse" and that's basically what is nominated for major awards that I have yet to see. I am planning on skipping "The Iron Lady" and "Albert Nobbs" entirely though, and am only going to end up watching "War Horse" because my girlfriend's parents said it was good, hence making her want to watch it.

I know the Academy Awards are not the final word of what is good and what isn't, but it seems like this year's nominations are even more mediocre than usual.

I agree, ace.

Even my favorite film of the bunch, The Descendants, has a flaw that's given me writer's block. Normally if I like a movie I can write my notes very quickly. And 99.9% of The Descendants is pitch-perfect. But there's one short, key scene that is just completely off-key. Almost like a studio executive somewhere said it had to be there so they went back and reshot the thing.

Edited by wxwax