A Request

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

15 members have voted

1. 1. Waiting period between registration & posting?

Could you please think about adding in, say a 2-day waiting period between registration and being able to post?

The amount of trolls we get after matches is getting ridiculous now, and it's just more work for the moderators. Nearly all other football forums have something like that, but we don't seem to...

::ChELSeAFaN::

Would have to be a no vote from me. I can imagine that a lot of new users would be turned off by the idea of having to wait two days to post anything (or would just plain forget to come back), and the inspiration which drew them to the site in the first place would have long faded in 48 hours. If we lose new users then I'd imagine the site would lose some of its revenue as new IP addresses are important when it comes to internet ad sales (or something like that...). I feel like the income is worth the minor inconvenience of a few opposition fans coming on here and mouthing off. We just about have the biggest bollocks in the league at the moment and if we can't get rid of these fans on bragging rights alone then I dunno what's wrong with us.

In addition this is a forum for all football fans to discuss all matters Chelsea and I would rather be free to condemn those I deem to be idiots than have us both censored.

Hmm, I agree it's frustrating but it's so much more effective to just not respond. Trolls only look at attention, even competing with each other to post the most witty dismissal just feeds the troll.

Registration periods are a bit...exclusive. This isn't a secret forum or anything, and we've had plenty of great new members who feel a burning desire to unleash their views on Torres, Mikel or Luiz after being long time lurkers. I don't think we should stop that.

Its the mods and admin's job to keep an eye on things. Stopping people posting for two days will just put off new memebers. They will sign up and then just forget about the place if they cant post for two days.

Guest RFC_CFC

If trolls want to waste their time setting up accounts on rival forums then so be it, it just shows how successful we are and how pathetic their lives are to have to resort to such measures just to get people to talk to them.

Don’t feed them and they eventually starve and go elsewhere, it’s no biggie.

I think the answer has already been given. Having a delay will put off the majority of people. If trolls come on and the mods are online at the time then it is dealt with quickly. If they aren't then it would help if people just didn't respond to obvious attempts to wind folk up.

Guest RFC_CFC

Why punish genuine Chelsea fans because of WUMS?

The forum is fine as it is, ignore the trolls....it's really not that hard to do.

its only the same as if a chelsea fan says something on here that may annoy you, just ignore it. I know its not always that easy but why get hooked in? If a fan of another team comes on here for a wind up and no one responds to him then he will soon get bored and crawl back into the hole that he/she once came from.

Rise above it.

We had (and still do at times) an infestation of Liverpool fans when they were on their way down too.. They become obsessed with us for some reason.

Take Loz's advice ignore them, then they have to post again if they really want to start someting which makes them look really pathetic.

We all have the right to post a report (see bottom right of your avatar picture) if we find a post offensive. The mods deal with that as quickly as they can.

I really don't see that this is a huge problem. Do none of us ever join rival forums to poke fun? I don't but I'm pretty sure some do.

Sense of proportion needed here, I think.

ok i know i am a newbie but i am supporting Chelsea 35 yrs am a member and go to as many games as possible minimum of 8-10 a season coming from Ireland. a waiting period to post will only put people off joining and posting. it doesn't matter if you have recently joined or been on site since inception, doesn't stop those who want to spout vitriolic bullsh*t no matter how long they are on site

2 days was an example. How about for the first (x) hours/days/whatever they can reply to topics, but not start new ones? Or have it so their first 5-10 posts need to be moderatred before they are published?

There are various ways it can be done.

2 days was an example. How about for the first (x) hours/days/whatever they can reply to topics, but not start new ones? Or have it so their first 5-10 posts need to be moderatred before they are published?

There are various ways it can be done.

The mods are real people, you know, with real jobs and real families. They do a brilliant job, and really don't need the hassle of this simply to accommodate people who can't ignore the odd troll.

Yes... and if there was something like a waiting period, they would have much less work to do as well, because there wouldn't be so many troll posts and spam posts to remove...

Do you make a habit of using a sledgehammer to crack your nuts?

Edited by moi

If you have nothing constructive to offer to the discussion, why bother? I've shown you how it would decrease the work for the moderators, which seemed to be your main "concern", and that's all you can muster up in response?