Thank You Robbie

BLUENUT
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Hello all, I haven't posted for a while.

I thought I'd start a seperate thread to show a bit of appreciation for the man who delivered the first Champions Leauge or European cup to the capital, not just Chelsea, but we became the first club in London to win it, and he became the first manager to win it for a London club, which is an achievement in itself!

I'd also like to thank Robbie for one of the greatest days of my life, for his goal in the first FA cup final victory in my life-time, and the first major trophy I'd ever seen us win after years in oblivion. The trophy that started the long journey to where we are now - without that win against Middlesborough, who know's where we'd be now?? (Just look a Boro!)

He scored another winner against Villa a few years later, to seal his fate in the record books, but his career was unfortunatley cut short due to a horrific injury sustained while wearing the Chelsea blue!

He was kept on by the club, not in a professional role, but was allowed to carry on using the training facilities and would take training sessions with the youth team to educate our youngsters out of his own time.

Returning as assistant to AVB, he took over leadership of a wrangled dressing room as caretaker, with a mandate to galvanise the group to get us over the finish line. In doing this he also took us to another cup final and won it!

Robbie also superceeded all expectations, getting us through an alomost impossible position by qualifying for the next round of the Champions league, and getting us not only to the final but winning it against all odds, beating arguably the best club side in the world with 10 men, then beating the Germans in their own stadium, which was effectively an away game.

He may have not been the greatest manager in the world or even the best manager who has tried to bring the cup back to the capital, but he was ours, our Robbie, and he may have rode the luck of the gods, but he brought that group of players together and he did it!! Many have tried and failed!

For all the memories, days out, great nights and crazy emotional moments RDM has given me over my Chelsea supporting life-time (not just the past 6 month) I'd just like to take my hat off to a man who is nothing more than a Chelsea legend.

Thanks Robbie - you're one of us and always will be!!

Great post Bluenut and I echo every sentiment.

One other thing about RDM that not a lot of people know : when his career was finished at Chelsea as per his contract they had an obligation to pay him for the remainder of his contract. At that time we were in a financial mess and Bates asked Robbie if he would accept club shares to the value instead.. He didn't have to accept but he did and then a year or so later when RA arrived he did of course buy up everyone's shares offering a profit. Therefore making a nice big earner for Robbie. I read that Bates ( not known for his nice caring sentiments ) said 'it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy'.

Robbie, you are welcome back to Stamford Bridge at anytime. I hope tonight you are going to Piccolinos in Leamington Spa as you always do and you sit and reflect on what you did for us with a nice brandy and a cigar.

Thanks for absolutely everything.

For all the memories, days out, great nights and crazy emotional moments RDM has given me over my Chelsea supporting life-time (not just the past 6 month) I'd just like to take my hat off to a man who is nothing more than a Chelsea legend.

Thanks Robbie - you're one of us and always will be!!

Seconded, well said.

This thread's a welcome respite from the sh*t-storm going on elsewhere.

That FA cup final against boro was also the first time I had seen us win anything, and it still means as much to me as anything we have achieved since. I wil never forget Robbie's audacious first minute thunderbolt and will always be grateful for that memory.

I hope he leaves the club with the understanding that what happened today was against the fans' wishes (on the whole) and that his contributions to this club's history will always be remembered by the people that matter.

This thread's a welcome respite from the sh*t-storm going on elsewhere.

That FA cup final against boro was also the first time I had seen us win anything, and it still means as much to me as anything we have achieved since. I wil never forget Robbie's audacious first minute thunderbolt and will always be grateful for that memory.

I hope he leaves the club with the understanding that what happened today was against the fans' wishes (on the whole) and that his contributions to this club's history will always be remembered by the people that matter.

well said, he stabalised our club when we were heading nowhere, he took us to a champions league final that nobody gave us a chance to win,a true gentleman in the game and a credit to our great club, even last night he conducted himself like the club hero he is, HE MANAGED CHELSEA TO CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE.... follow that if anyone can... goodbye and good luck true gent

Roberto Di Matteo - A man of dignity, loyalty and sheer class. A Chelsea Legend and a True Blue.

Thank you for all the incredible memories, from the stunning FA Cup Final strike in '97 to that unforgettable night in Munich.

Edited by Celery1989