Vidahost - UK Web Hosting
Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Castiel

Everton vs Chelsea (PL) 30/12/12 KO: 13:30 GMT

Final game of 2012, one of the toughest grounds to visit in the league, and a historically tough fixture for Chelsea.  Our rivals have all dropped points here, so anything gained will be a great statement in the context of the title.  We need to keep the pressure up on City and ensure we don't allow United to run away with it before the new year rolls in.  I believe we've got it in us to grind out a win.  Fellaini's absence will be crucial.

Lets see off 2012 with a cheer.

---------- Cech

Azpili - Ivan - Cahill - Cole

------- Luiz - Lampard

- Oscar - Mata - Moses

---------- Torres

Our defence has been solid but I feel the midfield battle is going to be a physical one.  For that reason I feel it'd be best to go with more physical and direct options (except Mata who I can't drop).  I'd be tempted to play Mikel in CM again, but Lampard has been great and his leadership will be invaluable.  He also isn't one to shy away from the physical game.  

Everton will play to win, so I'm not so concerned with having to break down two banks of four.  We will get our chances and its up to us to take them.  We need to make sure we keep control of the game and put in the effort to match theirs.  Thats how I see it anyway.   

Everton scraped through in their last two games (wins over West Ham and Wigan), and definitely look a lot weaker without Fellaini. It's going to have to be one we grind out but I think this is the best time to play them.

Their main weakness is that their defence is old and slow with the likes of Neville and Distin, and i'd like to see us play both Hazard and Moses to really have a run at them. They also have Hibbert and Mirallas out with injury, and I think Gibson will be suspended for it unless the appeal is successful.

Overall they'll have a weakened team and I fancy us to grind it out, 2-1.

Tough game, Everton always is. Often have the Indian sign over us.

If Gibson misses out that is an added bonus as that is the heart out of Evertons midfield.

Big test for us overall, hopefully one we pass. If we come away from Goodison with the 3 points, then I will start to believe we are turning the corner out of our usual winter sticky patch.

Keep winning here, Nobody is talking about us that much, 1 Point behind City if we win our game in hand and 8 behind Utd.

Good thing is that every team looks like dropping points, Years ago 8 points behind Utd is game over.

moti9platoon likes this

Final game of 2012, one of the toughest grounds to visit in the league, and a historically tough fixture for Chelsea.  Our rivals have all dropped points here, so anything gained will be a great statement in the context of the title.  We need to keep the pressure up on City and ensure we don't allow United to run away with it before the new year rolls in.  I believe we've got it in us to grind out a win.  Fellaini's absence will be crucial.

---------- Cech

------- Luiz - Lampard

- Oscar - Mata - Moses

---------- Torres

Our defence has been solid but I feel the midfield battle is going to be a physical one.  For that reason I feel it'd be best to go with more physical and direct options (except Mata who I can't drop).  I'd be tempted to play Mikel in CM again, but Lampard has been great and his leadership will be invaluable.  He also isn't one to shy away from the physical game.  

Everton will play to win, so I'm not so concerned with having to break down two banks of four.  We will get our chances and its up to us to take them.  We need to make sure we keep control of the game and put in the effort to match theirs.  Thats how I see it anyway.   

Same team, but with Hazard over Oscar.

mad_mac and ozboy like this

I suspect Lampard and Hazard will start due to being rested the other day.

-------------------Cech---------------------

Cesar--------Ivan-----Cahill--------Cole

-------------Luiz--------Lampard--------

Rambo----------Mata-----------Hazard

-----------------Torres-----------

Maybe Moses will play instead of Rambo though because Everton are a physicall team and he offers more than Rambo in that area although I'd maybe try Moses up top instead of Torres due to this type of game (can't see it though_).

---------- Cech

------- Luiz - Lampard

- Oscar - Mata - Moses

---------- Torres

Same team, but with Hazard over Oscar.

I agree, Hazard must start this one.

This game is a real test for Rafa. He is quite familiar with Everton and has a good record against them.  Played 14, Won 8, Drawn 3, Lost 3. (4 wins at Goodison Park). It will be a tough encounter. We are lucky Fellaini is out for this game. Another win to keep the momentum going is essential. I won't be surprised if Rafa continues to use Luiz in midfield. Here is the team I expect to start:-

---------------------------------------------------------------------------Cech-----------------------------------------------------------

Azpicueta----------------------------------------Ivanovic-------------------------------Cahill-------------------------------Cole

-----------------------------------------------------------Ramires---------------------Luiz-------------------------------------------

Hazard---------------------------------------------------------------Mata-----------------------------------------------------Moses

------------------------------------------------------------------------Torres------------------------------------------------------------

Prediction:  Chelsea 2    Everton 1

---------Cech

Dave-Ivan-Cahill-Cole

-----Luiz-Lamps

--Hazard-Mata-Moses

--------Torres

That's probably our strongest line up at the moment so we should go with that. Got a big chance to win with Fellaini out so we must take it. If we get this 3 points then the pressure is well and truly on City. Even though we had that Winter Slump to be where we are with a game in hand is pretty damn good, so all guns blazing to keep up our momentum. I predict a 2-1 win for us simply because Fellaini is out and because we can exploit their older defenders.

I wouldn't start Oscar for this one because as others have stated we need the physicality in midfield and he's quite small/young. 

I always thought Oscar was more of a hustler than Hazard, especially going by his home performance against Juventus where he had Pirlo on complete lock-down whilst turning in an offensive master-class. 

Definatley need Ramires in the middle against Everton

I don't see why really, he's been poor all season and i can't see what he would offer us right now.

Despite the 3 wins on the bounce I can only see doom & gloom with this fixture

Hope Im proved wrong

Will be nice to see their fans abuse the FSW at least

now QPR at home that I cant wait for

Despite the 3 wins on the bounce I can only see doom & gloom with this fixture

Hope Im proved wrong

Will be nice to see their fans abuse the FSW at least

now QPR at home that I cant wait for

Would be great to hear from both sections of fans, Everton and Chelsea, to sing it loud at once: FSW! You're just a FSW!

Everton scraped through in their last two games (wins over West Ham and Wigan), and definitely look a lot weaker without Fellaini. It's going to have to be one we grind out but I think this is the best time to play them.

Their main weakness is that their defence is old and slow with the likes of Neville and Distin, and i'd like to see us play both Hazard and Moses to really have a run at them. They also have Hibbert and Mirallas out with injury, and I think Gibson will be suspended for it unless the appeal is successful.

Overall they'll have a weakened team and I fancy us to grind it out, 2-1.

This. Never an easy place to go but with their injuries and suspensions we are playing them at a good time.

Hopefully both sets of fans will be giving the FSW some stick.

Very tough away fixture, and I think we'll continue to see luiz in the middle, which pretty much means 7 spots are on lock, then it's just a case of who partners Luiz in the middle, and who the three will be behind Torres.

I would gladly take a 1 goal win any which way we could.

.............Cech

Dave...Ivan..Cahill...Cole

...........Luiz...Lampard

Moses......Mata.......Hazard

..............Torres

I've gone with Moses as I think he is a bit more direct and that should be a better tactic against Everton's defenders.  And then Hazard to try and do some creative things over on the wing.

Scott

Hoping for some amusing chant banter between both sets of fans. Score wise I think it'll be a draw or a narrow loss - they are difficult to beat usually

Really tough game, no doubt about that. Everton is a team that might roll over against some big teams, but not against us. The loss of Fellaini is bad for them, but I still expect them to give us a really hard time.

I hope that we can get three points, but any point is welcome.

Is anyone else really not that impressed with Moses the last 2 games? I thought Oscar would have offered a lot more. I realise people have been mentioning physicality but Oscar is no pushover, for a little lad he's fairly strong in the ball and in challenges.

Chelsea just look at their fluent best when Mikel and Moses aren't allowed near the team and Torres doesn't touch it.

I should add that I do like Moses, he's a decent player and has put in some good performances this season. Maybe I'm just angry at his constant failure to cross the ball in properly, or his attempt to beat the defender he's already beaten... Sigh

I disagree, Moses, while lacking polish, offers something entirely different by playing wide.

Oscar while not technically the same player as Hazard and Mata, has similar tendencies to drift inside. And while Mata, Hazard and Oscar are all tremendous players, having 3 players wanting to get into the same area can create congestion, which can cause difficulty creating good chances.

Not saying it'll always be the case, but I certainly see merit in playing Moses. That said, it's hard seeing a player with Oscar's talent on the bench.

moti9platoon likes this

I agree in theory, but as splishsplosh points out it's no good having Moses playing wide if he isn't going to use that width to offer any variation. Moses seems to just get in the way of Azpilicueta sometimes- that said I do like him