Matic 45m release clause triggered by Barca ?

Star
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Remember this guy ?

Tall unassuming, however with talent and a holding midfielder in the making ?

Reports in Spain this morning that Barcelona have triggered already a contract that has a buyout of 45 million Euro's.

Forgive me if I am wrong but wasn't he a pawn in the deal to bring David Luiz to Chelsea ?

Now two defensive midfielders are showing their worth !

Anyone who closely follows European football will know of the growing stock of Matic and his reputation is at an all time high !

Is it another case of a young player not being given the chance to succeed at Chelsea ?

Stoch is another, better than Marin IMO

He signed a new contract all of 2 days ago so this seems unlikely.

http://www.portugoal.net/index.php/more-benfica-news/38833-matic-handed-new-benfica-deal

By the sounds of it he's better than Javi Garcia, who now plays for City.

Makes me wonder wtf we're doing, whoever is in charge of the youth system at Chelsea seriously didn't see this lads talent?

Embarassing.

Luiz isn't a defensive midfielder.

Also, its all hearsay to find a new stick to beat the club with.

Only thing we've heard of stoch is that he scored a good goal in turkey. If thats the judge of a players quality then wow.

Edited by Stim

Stim, I believe performances suggest Luiz is a better defensive midfielder than Centre Half.

Experience maybe will iron out his defensive problems, but time isn't really in the Chelsea vocabulary these days.

As for Stoch, his performances have been both consistent and electrifying and given what I have seen of Marin I would say the future will be more promising for our old youth team star.

That famous Youth Cup winning side only Josh has been 'piped up' as a future star and IMO it was a huge mistake to overlook at least 6 others in the squad that have moved on. Young Nathan is showing his quality at Watford and the homegrown rule in the future is going to kill us in the future if we are not prepared to let players develop and push for a place in the first team squad.

Benfica, like Porto are no mugs when it comes to spotting and nurturing young talent.

We should have smelt a rat with them wanting Matic. Whether rumours are correct or not in Spain there is no doubting the kid is worth close to 20 million in today's market already.

If as expected Cole, Lampard and Turnbull leave in the summer, with Sturridge sold our homegrown over 21 situation is looking troublesome to say the least.

It seems to me getting young players and selling them on for up to 5 million a piece instead of nurturing their talent is treating them like a city trader treats money.

One the one hand i agree about the youth players needing to come through but they shouldnt be rushed through. Loan moves to the right clubs is very important. Loans to Swansea for Josh and Fulham for Kakuta were worthless and a waste of everyones time. How ever Josh is getting game time now so it just goes to show that its just about finding the right fit.

Rushing through a youth player into the first team isnt useful for anyone. Look how Ryan has come on for us since May. He doesnt really look out of place, Ryan has had about 3 or so years of loan moves before being considered ready by the management.

These kids arent going to become good enough for our first team over night, they need to go and play games and make the mistakes that young players all make without the pressure of playing for a top team like us.

Aside from scoring a fantastic goal recently, the guy has been off news and off radar. Given that i was sad to see him and stoch leave, barca is never going to pay 45m for him. Hell!! they can't even afford to pay for neymar( who is a bigger talent) and have to structure some kind of part and bit payment.  Lets stop this nonsense that the club does not known what its doing. matic is gone, but we have David Luiz. I think we got the better deal.

He signed a new contract all of 2 days ago so this seems unlikely.

http://www.portugoal.net/index.php/more-benfica-news/38833-matic-handed-new-benfica-deal

By the sounds of it he's better than Javi Garcia, who now plays for City.

Makes me wonder wtf we're doing, whoever is in charge of the youth system at Chelsea seriously didn't see this lads talent?

Embarassing.

He's also not reckless in the same way as Garcia and is generally more beneficial to the way Benfica play because he's calm and composed on the ball and his skills and vision help to start attacks too.

I've always been fond of Matic myself and didn't want him to leave but accepted that it was necessary at the time as there wasn't space in the squad for him and even if there was he wouldn't have been used properly, if at all.

He is definitely one of the best young DM's around at the moment but that rumour is utter rubbish. Barca already have some young DM's coming through getting game time already.

Edited by Remodez

Its tough for the club really, these youngsters get to an age and think they should be getting more games, maybe more money etc but the club arent going to drop the likes of Frank or Mata or Cech for these youngsters to have a run in the team. Also the club must have a wage cap on youngsters so if they want too much then they will be moved on.

It happens at all the top clubs.

Looked tidy on his debut, but from the little i've seen of Benfica since I don't rate him at that value. 

With big investment in the youth system & big investment in the squad these things will happen. They have happened to Barcelona (Fabregas) & Real (Mata & co), so unless we tie the good one's down to long term contracts & loan them out for 2 years there is no way or being sure..

I think the main problem at the club is the hanging axe above every single managers head.

Roman doesnt believe in giving a manager time.

So if you was a manager would you risk dropping the pros for some of the kids to come through? Of course you wouldnt. You would play the best players you have every game. Thats why United can bring through some youngsters because their board will never sack Fergie.

I smell bullsh*t on this one lads. Barcelona aren't silly enough to throw around 40 million euros for an unproven player.

If Barca were that desperate for a defensive midfielder they would have the pick of La Liga's talent for less money than that.

They're also smart enough to put buy-back clauses on the young players they let go (i.e Romeu and Pique), they've learnt from there Fabregas mistake in that regard.

I think the only person in europe silly enough to pay 40 million for Matic is Roman Abramovich.

I smell bullsh*t on this one lads. Barcelona aren't silly enough to throw around 40 million euros for an unproven player.

If Barca were that desperate for a defensive midfielder they would have the pick of La Liga's talent for less money than that.

They're also smart enough to put buy-back clauses on the young players they let go (i.e Romeu and Pique), they've learnt from there Fabregas mistake in that regard.

I think the only person in europe silly enough to pay 40 million for Matic is Roman Abramovich.

Sadly, very true.

Matic looked alright in the few minutes he played for Chelsea. And then he looked alright when he played against us for Benfica last season.

But 45 million? Yeah, nice one.

Convinced the club got this one right, bearing in mind the part he played in the Luiz deal. If he'd have stayed he'd probably have played less than Romeu.

Complete and utter bullsh*t.

Decent player, doing pretty well but not exactly pulling up any trees...

Then he goes and scores a wondergoal against Porto and all of a sudden Barca want him for 45million.

If Barcelona pay 45million for Nemanja Matic I will eat my own hand. 

Guest RFC_CFC
Complete and utter bullsh*t.

Decent player, doing pretty well but not exactly pulling up any trees...

Then he goes and scores a wondergoal against Porto and all of a sudden Barca want him for 45million.

If Barcelona pay 45million for Nemanja Matic I will eat my own hand. 

Bet you don't.

Where has this garbage come from, Goal.com possibly? So someone thinks Matic will be one of the top 10 transfer fees of all time, even worse is some people believing it.