Gary Cahill - PL CL FAC LC EL champion

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

34 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Reminded me of what happened last season with his moments of madness against Swanesea and Arsenal that cost us points. He needs to offer a public apology if he hasn't done that already, single handedly gave the game away. It's 1 of the most stupid red card I have seen in years.

A public apology, you must be joking. He got sent off during a football match for a bad tackle, he didn't poison London's water supply or something equally disastrous.

5 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Reminded me of what happened last season with his moments of madness against Swanesea and Arsenal that cost us points. He needs to offer a public apology if he hasn't done that already, single handedly gave the game away. It's 1 of the most stupid red card I have seen in years.

I think this is harsh. Yes he f**ked up against Arsenal last season, but against Swansea he was fouled twice by the Swansea player. Even the Swansea player couldn't believe he got away with hacking our player to the ground and scoring a goal. Also, asking for a public apology is ridiculous. He's not the first and won't be last Chelsea player to get sent off.

4 hours ago, brownindian said:

I thought people would be more excited about Christensen getting a starting spot thanks to this. This is the only way we get to see Andreas starting sadly.

Thought he looked far more comfortable on the ball than i'd have expected.  Glad he wasn't sent out on a pointless loan again 

15 hours ago, stevo said:

We would be calling for one but the player wouldn't have got one. The ref was a c**t plain and simple. Cahill isn't brain dead. 

The player would have got one if he'd done the same thing. There isn't some sort of huge conspiracy against Chelsea among refs. The ref got the decision right and Cahill cost us that game with his error of judgement, simple as that.

On 15/08/2017 at 12:05, RIP Mourinho said:

The player would have got one if he'd done the same thing. There isn't some sort of huge conspiracy against Chelsea among refs. The ref got the decision right and Cahill cost us that game with his error of judgement, simple as that.

So what. First game of the season. 

3 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Regardless of whether its first or last game of the season, a captain should know better.

Fully agree, he`s definitely the only captain ever to have made a badly timed challenge or a stupid one. We demand a public apology.....

In truth he should have known better, but it was a poor touch that got away in the first game of the season with a lot of pressure on the team at the moment. It was a mistake, a daft one but still an honest one.

Edited by dkw

51 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Don't want a public apology, just want him to use his brain a bit more in future.

I think in this instance, when you have a bad first touch it is instinct to stretch and win the ball again. To me it was more of a reaction to correct a mistake (bad first touch). Should have taken lessons from Lukaku of how to retrieve a bad first touch !!!

I think when you weigh it all up, we all know that Cahill will never be as good as JT was and isn't as good as some of the other quality centre backs we have had in the Roman era.

BUT he has been a very good servant and put in many first class performances and is committed to the Chelsea cause and he's a very likeable guy too. He is always likely to have a mistake in him (as are the majority of defenders) but feel he's getting some very harsh treatment from Chelsea fans for what was a VERY debateable red card. He was unlucky on the day and it cost us but many refs would have only given a yellow for the incident and we then wouldn't even be having this debate.

Lets see how we get on without him in the next 3 games. 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Zeta said:

The gaffer gets it right more times than not but Cahill's nod was a big boo boo. Not even fab in a 2 man midfield. The connection between back line and midfield was shaky after he displayed his less than impressive tactical nous and ball control. 

Football is a confidence thing and it builds right from the goalie. Defenders know he got their back they move on, midfielders know defence is tight, they plod on and give the support to the forward line that it needs. He is a good player and deserves all respect but getting on now in age and the new faces in the squad mean he should earn a spot and not based on past years performances but when he gets an opportunity play well enough to deserve keeping it which is what Rudi has been doing.

The poor performance in the first half to me was more of the lack of good interplay mostly between defence and midfield. I know seems a weird point especially as we didn't concede but that's more of luck than anything.

One could even argue that players have more confidence in Azpi marshalling them as their captain and give better output. It is as much psychology as talent and commitment.

No offence mate but that is really stretching to blame Cahill when defensively we were fine. The fact we looked so much better when Bakayoko and Hazard came on whilst Cahill played 90 mins kinda nullifies your whole line of reasoning.

Edited by Stim

2 minutes ago, abister1 said:

The gaffer gets it right more times than not but Cahill's nod was a big boo boo. Not even fab in a 2 man midfield. The connection between back line and midfield was shaky after he displayed his less than impressive tactical nous and ball control. 

Football is a confidence thing and it builds right from the goalie. Defenders know he got their back they move on, midfielders know defence is tight, they plod on and give the support to the forward line that it needs. He is a good player and deserves all respect but getting on now in age and the new faces in the squad mean he should earn a spot and not based on past years performances but when he gets an opportunity play well enough to deserve keeping it which is what Rudi has been doing.

The poor performance in the first half to me was more of the lack of good interplay mostly between defence and midfield. I know seems a weird point especially as we didn't concede but that's more of luck than anything.

One could even argue that players have more confidence in Azpi marshalling them as their captain and give better output. It is as much psychology as talent and commitment.

Well, Conte knows the team we can only observe during the match games and I think we can fairly say that when Azpi has been captain we've won 3 games and performed a lot better. I don't believe that he's only the team just because he's "English" I think in the past he has shown what a brilliant defender he was, but that's past it. Since 2015 I haven't seen Gary Cahill look even good, let alone decent, his performances are getting worse and worse by the games. 

It might be a fair estimation that the team plays more confidently when Cahill isn't in the back 3 and someone else is leading the line, he made some ridiculous decisions in that Arsenal game that made things very uneasy.