Eden Hazard - Chelsea Legend

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

That is bad news, a rough start to the new season and we're months away from kick off, f**k international football, England are so crap, I couldn't care less anyway. I'd like to know how he broke his ankle, sounds like a case of reckless tackles in training, does the coach think I've got a great idea, let's kick our best player across the training pitch, what a wonderful idea.

Edited by Floyd25

1 hour ago, IliyaKrostin said:

Missing the pre-season and 2-3 games in the league. Bad news for us.

If he heals quickly, then he won't miss the start of the season. If he takes the full 8 weeks, he will still be fit for the start of the season, but would miss pretty much all of pre-season and won't be match fit for the start of the season.

Edited by Scott Harris

He'll definitely be out for pre-season and there's no way he will be risked for the Community Shield, but I am confident he will be back for the start of the league.

Chelsea's doctors have a fantastic record. Better than any other club that I've noticed. We've been mostly blessed in not having a lot of bad injuries at the club in recent times and I'd like to think that our medical team play a strong role in that. I'm going to be optimistic and say that Eden will be back and raring to go at the start of the season, even if not totally match fit.

this could be a blessing in disguise for us, like others have said, puts pressure on the club to sign big so the burden isn't all on Eden.

i just hope that when eden returns that he'll be on the front foot despite the lack of match fitness.

worst case scenario is that it takes him 6 months to kick into gear and we're already knocked out of the CL group stage and lagging behind in 4th domestically....:Troll_Face:

Sounds like a classic hyper extension fracture which is 6 weeks in healing...the bone will heal quicker than that but it's the associated ligament and tendon strain/sprain that takes times to heal...with good rest and physiotherapy he'll be back in time for pre-season training...look at the positive, at least he'll get some rest ahead of a busy new championship 

Edited by doctorblue

i do think playing so much football is non-beneficial to a player's body. they need rest. footballers must be the only high level athletes who are given very little rest time during the year, it's a joke really. they finish a long, hard season, they then either go off and play meaningless international friendlies, or play world cups and european tournaments post season every couple years. on top of that, they get what, 3 weeks rest max before meeting up for a pre-season again. 

8 hours ago, robdog said:

I don't speak Dutch, but from this article I believe it says that Eden Hazard has suffered a broken ankle.

@Valerie can you provide a brief translation?

It says during training Hazard fractured his ankle by twisting it, but the full damage will be known in a few days. There might also be ligament damage. 

Edited by Valerie

There's talk now that he may require surgery on the ankle...while pinning and plating doesn't in itself cause concern, there's always the risk of wound infection and wound closure issues arising from it...that being said, the chelsea medical team have proved to be outstanding...we had the least players injuries last season and their work must have been a major contribution to that success...good luck Eden...heal well!! 

if he has managed to avoid ligament damage then he could make it back for the beginning of the season. I would be very surprised to see him ply for us before September though. I think it will be after the international break mid September that he will be back in contention. 

like others have said. maybe this will give the club a push to bring in some more quality in that area, if they didn't need it already.  They wont want a season like 15/16, so I don't think it would be wise to pin our season on hazard. 

fingers crossed he makes a full recovery and maybe an extended break could be beneficial for him and keep hom fresh for the rest of season. 

5 hours ago, enigma said:

i do think playing so much football is non-beneficial to a player's body. they need rest. footballers must be the only high level athletes who are given very little rest time during the year, it's a joke really. they finish a long, hard season, they then either go off and play meaningless international friendlies, or play world cups and european tournaments post season every couple years. on top of that, they get what, 3 weeks rest max before meeting up for a pre-season again. 

It's not only footballers. The Tennis season ends in December and starts again in January. Gymnastics, Athletic's, they have no time to rest either. It's just how modern day sport is.

52 minutes ago, doctorblue said:

Hopefully he'll have his surgery at RNOH under Andy Goldberg top ankle surgeon...

Will he need surgery ? Surely a few weeks in a cast will be enough. If he needed surgery, he would likely be out for more than 6-8 weeks.

30 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

It's not only footballers. The Tennis season ends in December and starts again in January. Gymnastics, Athletic's, they have no time to rest either. It's just how modern day sport is.

Will he need surgery ? Surely a few weeks in a cast will be enough. If he needed surgery, he would likely be out for more than 6-8 weeks.

Been widely reported that the injury needs surgical correction...it sounds worse than it is...normal recovery even post surgery should still be only 6 weeks...