Eden Hazard - Chelsea Legend

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Just now, Odiddy said:

He's a top 5 player in the world, maybe top 3.

Zola and Lamps were great but were always 1 step away from very cream of the crop..maybe top 10 players. Robben was amazing too, but think his best time was at Bayern, but still think Hazard better than him too.

Neymar

Bale (when fit)

Ronaldo

Messi

Suarez

Lewandowski

Kdb 

Cavani 

Dybala (maybe)

Hazard

If we are talking players who can do assist, score, and be the most influential player on the field then I would probably say that top ten.

There's probably players I've forgotten who could go ahead of hazard though in top 10-20 though. 

Edited by enigma

11 minutes ago, enigma said:

Neymar

Bale (when fit)

Ronaldo

Messi

Suarez

Lewandowski

Kdb 

Cavani 

Dybala (maybe)

Hazard

If we are talking players who can do assist, score, and be the most influential player on the field then I would probably say that top ten.

There's probably players I've forgotten who could go ahead of hazard though in top 10-20 though. 

Hazard's better than all but Neymar and Messi on that list Imo..

Ronaldo is shi*e these days, Bale is just back from the sidelines and is never fit for more than a month, Cavani and Lewandowski are goal scoring machines (this season) but don't think the've the technical ability of Hazard to put them ahead of him, KdB plays for City, and Suarez bites people. Dybala couldn't lace his boots. Would throw Mbappe in there ahead of Dybala at this stage anyway.

Clearly top 10 is subjective, and there's not much in it between some of them..but sometime you don't appreciate what you have till you've lost it.

Edited by Odiddy

31 minutes ago, dkw said:

there's an argument to be had that he's one of the best players we've had,  in my opinion he's not.  But even if you think he is the best,  it's certainly not by a country mile. 

Frank Lampard the best we've had for me, only a Ronaldinho away from world player of the year is some achievement. I think the stats Messi/Ronaldo have managed has completely changed how people judge who's the 'top 5'.. would only swap him for Neymar from the list above (not including Messi of course) 

39 minutes ago, Odiddy said:

Zola and Lamps were great but were always 1 step away from very cream of the crop..maybe top 10 players. Robben was amazing too, but think his best time was at Bayern, but still think Hazard better than him too.

Many would say Hazard is one step away.

Lamps was great, but I just don't think he could control a game like Hazard can. Didn't realise he came runner up in Ballon d'or though...some achievement indeed.

The way I look at it the Real Madrid and Barcelona's of this world sniff around Hazard more than they have any other player we've ever had...which is telling.

15 minutes ago, Odiddy said:

Lamps was great, but I just don't think he could control a game like Hazard can. Didn't realise he came runner up in Ballon d'or though...some achievement indeed.

The way I look at it the Real Madrid and Barcelona's of this world sniff around Hazard more than they have any other player we've ever had...which is telling.

No one know's that, i'm sure if Terry was available both clubs would have smashed the world record for a defender to grab him. It depends on all different things, how good the team you play for, the team that want's you, presidential elections, the position needed.

Lampard actually came 2nd in The Ballon d'or

4 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

I'd say Hazard certainly is the most talented footballer I've ever seen at Chelsea, but I don't think we will ever see another footballer as effective as Lampard. Crazy how he consistently scored every 2 games.

That’s a good way to put it.  On talent alone, Hazard is easily our best player ever.  I think his affect on matches is often overlooked if he doesn’t score.

8 hours ago, Chelsbear said:

Lampard easily for me.

All depends what we all mean by "best footballer we've ever had".

Lamps is a club legend and an unbelievable goal-scorer but he wasn't a naturally gifted and skillful player like Hazard. He scored some absolutely brilliant goals but he could never do some of the things that Hazard is capable of.

For me, Hazard is the best, most naturally gifted footballer we have had to date - not by a country mile though as the likes of Zola & Joey Cole had that similar skill-set.

10 hours ago, enigma said:

Neymar

Bale (when fit)

Ronaldo

Messi

Suarez

Lewandowski

Kdb 

Cavani 

Dybala (maybe)

Hazard

Is this list in order lol?

Neymar, KdB and Messi are the only ones ahead of him this season.

World Class gets branded round too much and only Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar are world class. Hazard is top class and in the group below.

Hazard has never scored over 20 goals in a season for Chelsea even being penalty taker, Salah did that in his first season by December. 

8 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

World Class gets branded round too much and only Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar are world class. Hazard is top class and in the group below.

Hazard has never scored over 20 goals in a season for Chelsea even being penalty taker, Salah did that in his first season by December. 

I think to be World Class you have to be top three in the position you play, so I'd say there are about 12 World Class players at any given time.

Can't help but think him and Courtois would have signed their contract extensions by now if they really wanted to stay. The longer they put it off, the more it looks like they're waiting for other offers.

Hazard is like a maverick for me. Messi and Ronaldo are the epitome of a professional footballer, they know their job is to win games and sometimes it's pretty sometimes it's just machine-like.

Hazard though is like an entertainer for me. He'll play good football most of the time, has some neat flicks and tricks but he'll win a game when he feels he's at his best. When he's not on it, he'll be ineffective at worst. Not saying that he doesn't want to win but there are days when you can just see it's not happening for him.

7 minutes ago, Michael said:

I think to be World Class you have to be top three in the position you play, so I'd say there are about 12 World Class players at any given time.

Wouldn't that mean there'd be 33 World Class players per season?

3 hours ago, Nibs said:

All depends what we all mean by "best footballer we've ever had".

Lamps is a club legend and an unbelievable goal-scorer but he wasn't a naturally gifted and skillful player like Hazard. He scored some absolutely brilliant goals but he could never do some of the things that Hazard is capable of.

For me, Hazard is the best, most naturally gifted footballer we have had to date - not by a country mile though as the likes of Zola & Joey Cole had that similar skill-set.

I got some funny looks for comparing Hazard to Joe Cole so glad I'm not the only. To me they are the same, only difference is Cole had injury problems.

Zola for me is still the best technical footballer we've had. 

Just now, Deino said:

Wouldn't that mean there'd be 33 World Class players per season?

I'm counting a position in its simplest form, i.e keepers, defenders, midfielders, forwards.  I see your point though, you could technically have world class players for CB's, RB's, LB's, DMF's, CMF's, AMF's, RWF's, LWF's, CF's etc.

13 minutes ago, Remodez said:

I got some funny looks for comparing Hazard to Joe Cole so glad I'm not the only. To me they are the same, only difference is Cole had injury problems.

Zola for me is still the best technical footballer we've had. 

really? REALLLLYYYY?

incomparable imo...Even Joe Cole himself said Hazard is in a different league. 

Zola was great but he was in a much inferior team and stood out for that reason - i don't think he was ever the best player in the PL at any one time (unlike Hazard) . I think people tend to romanticise over him because he's a club legend.   

Edited by Odiddy

34 minutes ago, Odiddy said:

really? REALLLLYYYY?

incomparable imo...Even Joe Cole himself said Hazard is in a different league. 

Zola was great but he was in a much inferior team and stood out for that reason - i don't think he was ever the best player in the PL at any one time (unlike Hazard) . I think people tend to romanticise over him because he's a club legend.   

I wouldn't expect Cole to say anything else. Hazard is in a different league in terms of output and consistency but skill wise, they are the same in my opinion.

Maybe but it works both ways, recency bias is a thing after all.