Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

JoeyN

Game of Thrones

Just got finished series three last week, perfect timing.

Can't believe that they keep killing off all the people I like. Please don't kill off Cersei, very easy on the eye that women.

She doesn't do a lot for me!  Her two brothers, on the other hand.....

Lovely perspective from a Woman's Point of View. TBH I am shocked you actually like this show, due to all of the blood & guts

I know, if someone had described it to me, I'd have said Yuck!! etc.  But the cunning interweaving of plots and counter-plots is fantastic.

And the lack of coherence too is so much more realistic than most series like this - usually the goodies always win - one or two being sacrificed for the sake of a phony "reality" - but here survival is totally haphazard.

I know, if someone had described it to me, I'd have said Yuck!! etc.  But the cunning interweaving of plots and counter-plots is fantastic.

And the lack of coherence too is so much more realistic than most series like this - usually the goodies always win - one or two being sacrificed for the sake of a phony "reality" - but here survival is totally haphazard.

That is why I liked the Spartacus Series more than this one. In one scene it would be an orgy then a beheading in the next second. It had those plots & counter-plots too. The best part about Spartacus was the fact that it was based on reality & not fiction. Rome Vice is lovely

That is why I liked the Spartacus Series more than this one. In one scene it would be an orgy then a beheading in the next second. It had those plots & counter-plots too. The best part about Spartacus was the fact that it was based on reality & not fiction. Rome Vice is lovely

I've never seen any of the Spartacus series.  Spartacus to me will forever be Kirk Douglas!

I've never seen any of the Spartacus series.  Spartacus to me will forever be Kirk Douglas!

I think you might actually like it. You can see Zena the Warrior Queen naked :Troll_Face: but really the cast was good & the attention to the Historical details good IMHO. Worth a watch, but skip on the last season. It's very depressing

Stannis Baratheon all the way! He is the best king and also the one true king.

NO!!  Daenerys to marry Tyrian!!  She is the one true heir to the throne!  And he is the only decent Lannister.

On the blood and guts stuff, to be honest, with the exception maybe of Bolton the Flayer, nothing they do comes anywhere near the horrificness of what happened in the dungeons of mediaeval Kings, not to mention the Tudors

Edited by moi

Hold on hold on hold on.... this Warg thing or what ever it is where they are entering animals minds seems a bit of a Terry Pratchett rip of.....just starting season 3

the whole thing is basically winding me up with these blond twats not dying at all... and letting kind slayer go... just stupidity

The best show for interweaving plots and realistic story lines for me is The Wire. Like this, the synopsis may put you off, but the depth to the characters is quite brilliant, you can easily rewatch it a few times and discover motives you didn't notice.

A brief synopsis, even if it puts you off. It's a show about Baltimore focussing on the police and the war on drugs. It tells the story from the point of view of the police, the drug dealers and the addicts as well. All of the characters are deep and have multiple motives the whole way through and the characters as well as their motives evolve through the show. As the series goes on it brings in other perspectives, the dockyard workers and their struggle for work and their union's politics. The political system, where the power lies and who's motives push what and the effect they have all the way down to the drug addicts. The school system and how it struggles to help and protect kids in the inner city and how those kids grow up to be the next part of the systems. The final series brings in the newspapers as well, the struggles of the printed press, but also how the press affects the police, the politics and the world everyone lives in.

It's intense, slow at times and requires your attention. The first 3 or 4 episodes may be a struggle to get through for some, but it's well worth the time you put in to it.

Yes, I've watched the Wire - enjoyed it, though I found the American accents and dialect extremely hard to follow - needed subtitles really.

But Game of Thrones is more fun!  It has invented a different social reality, which you have to accept.

Yes, I've watched the Wire - enjoyed it, though I found the American accents and dialect extremely hard to follow - needed subtitles really.

But Game of Thrones is more fun!  It has invented a different social reality, which you have to accept.

Snoop was hard to follow, and McNulty's accent was a litlte... lacking, but I was fine with it. Although it did take me 2 seasons to realise Snoop was a woman.

I agree that Game of Thrones is more fun, but I love a good bit of intrigue and multi-layered dialogue and The Wire has more of it.

Hold on hold on hold on.... this Warg thing or what ever it is where they are entering animals minds seems a bit of a Terry Pratchett rip of.....just starting season 3

the whole thing is basically winding me up with these blond twats not dying at all... and letting kind slayer go... just stupidity

The Kind Slayer.  :JC_doubleup:

Snoop was hard to follow, and McNulty's accent was a litlte... lacking, but I was fine with it. Although it did take me 2 seasons to realise Snoop was a woman.

I agree that Game of Thrones is more fun, but I love a good bit of intrigue and multi-layered dialogue and The Wire has more of it.

I think when it comes to realistic, interweaving and slightly chaotic story lines and then The Wire and Game of Thrones are head and shoulders above everything else. The only other show I can think of right now that comes close is Treme, but apart from the music I found that kind of a drag. American Horror Story also has lots incoherent interweaving plots but is not very realistic and actually quite demented (I really enjoyed the second season though...).

Out of Game of Thrones and The Wire I probably preferred The Wire overall, mainly because of the real-world setting and the lack of traditional good guys and bad guys, but that's just my preference. They're both brilliant.

Just seen the hand loss and falling in the muck... kind of feel sorry for him!!

Yes, it's strange how you find yourself sympathising with him.  I want him and Brienne to get together -notgoing to happen, though, I think.

Re the shape changing etc, earlier on we saw Bran flying in the three eyed crow's body. Didn't realise it at the time but it was a sort of precursor to the wargs.

NO!!  Daenerys to marry Tyrian!!  She is the one true heir to the throne!  And he is the only decent Lannister.

On the blood and guts stuff, to be honest, with the exception maybe of Bolton the Flayer, nothing they do comes anywhere near the horrificness of what happened in the dungeons of mediaeval Kings, not to mention the Tudors

No no no no! Daenerys is weak, she cares to much about the people, she will not be able to make the hard decisions that come with being a king/queen. Stannis doesn't even follow the lord of the light but he will do whatever it takes to have the Iron throne that he rightfully deserves!

STANNIS WOOOOOO!