Vidahost - UK Web Hosting
Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

junio_oscarSY

Our New Stadium

2,495 posts in this topic

How far in the future we talking? I am not interested in Battersea or moving anywhere tbh. If it's a potential re-development getting capacity up to 50,000 that will do us perfectly.

what sort of announcement could it be? still need to sort out the CPO issue for anything to happen. tbh, i hope we expand rather than move

I think battersea would be amazing to be honest, it would be one of the most iconic stadiums in the world if it was done right. But i thought that was completely dead since the malaysians bought it?

splishsplosh likes this

How far in the future we talking? I am not interested in Battersea or moving anywhere tbh. If it's a potential re-development getting capacity up to 50,000 that will do us perfectly.

The cost is far too great for a capacity increase of only 8k or so. (along with all the other upgrades you miss out on by just upgrading)

Now we've got Jose back, a new stadium would be the final piece in the puzzle.

Edited by startedwithglenn

I go back with chelsea circa 67/68.........I love all that stamford bridge has been to us and of course always will be to us...(BUT)one reason id like to leave the Bridge is that im sick to the pit of my stomach hearing us outsung on our own turf coz the away sh*te have the noisiest part of the bloody ground...I want that 15000 chelsea end...Yep im a selfish B..

Take the roof of the MH and extend the upper tier so it goes up as high as the east and west. That would create a big sweeping bowl and this is only guess work but i'm sure your talking about 750-1000 seats taking into account the corners and about 10-15 rows. You could even go back further who knows.

If you took the middle amounts your probably talking about 11-12k extra seats and around 55k capacity. How much would that extension cost.....not as much as building a new ground i'm sure.

Behind the MH you could build a walkway over the tracks that would solve the health and safety issues, but i'm sure all of these avenues are being looked into by people who know far more about it than me.

Then you have the issue of health and safety signing that off. I heard one of the big issues with making the bridge bigger is there are not enough exits away from the ground.

The exits excuse doesn't really wash with me, anyone whose been to Wembley knows that it all pretty much leads out to the same place but that didn't stop them building a 90k stadium.

It's all about getting rid of the hotels and making the shed bigger, I'm sure it could be done also maybe another tier onto the west stand and we could be close to 55k, more than enough for us.

It's not only about capacity though, a new stadium would generate a lot more in revenue.

The cost of a new stadium doesn't count towards FFP but the additional revenue from it, both matchday and other would.

the issue i see with expansion is that it could come at substantial cost and once finished we would be in a situation where we would probably be unable/unwilling to expand any further for a long time. a new stadium would enable us to drastically increase capacity with the added bonus of having potential room for further expansion if/when necessary

The same old rumours ect go round & round every few months, i'll believe any building work be it at SB or elsewhere when i see it & its confirmed.

Atmosphere wont increase in a new ground, it hasnt at The Emirates or The Eithad to name a couple, ticket prices will INCREASE to pay for the stadium why would we be any different? our fan base has changed from hard core to day trippers with money to spunk away, mixed with old skool fans clinging on to their beloved Chelsea & that includes me, i'll be fully priced out in the near future & i wont be the only one.

The excuse about exits doesnt wash with me when H & F council are letting Fulham increas the Cottage by 6,000 with only one exit.

There used to be a pic of a walkway bridge over railway tracks outside Old Traffold so CAN be done, i'll see if i can dig it out.

Backbiter and Englishman like this

First it was before the end of summer, now it seems more imminent. Before the end of July perhaps? I disagree that 50,000 would do us perfectly for the same reasons as others have described; for the money it would cost us it simply wouldn't be worth it, and would leave us with all the same problems when we inevitably needed to expand further in the future.

Sadly it's actually looking more and more like a patchwork development of SB is the only option left.

The same old rumours ect go round & round every few months, i'll believe any building work be it at SB or elsewhere when i see it & its confirmed.

Atmosphere wont increase in a new ground, it hasnt at The Emirates or The Eithad to name a couple, ticket prices will INCREASE to pay for the stadium why would we be any different? our fan base has changed from hard core to day trippers with money to spunk away, mixed with old skool fans clinging on to their beloved Chelsea & that includes me, i'll be fully priced out in the near future & i wont be the only one.

The excuse about exits doesnt wash with me when H & F council are letting Fulham increas the Cottage by 6,000 with only one exit.

There used to be a pic of a walkway bridge over railway tracks outside Old Traffold so CAN be done, i'll see if i can dig it out.

Not having a pop..(but) why do people keep saying that the good old fans will be priced out......Are the good old fans which include you..Which include me and many others all piss poor then ?....I see lots of old faces but know that unless its spuds wets manx pool etc , a lot are pissed off that the only real fun is in the pub pre match and then one is stuck sitting next to someone that you dont want to be sitting with....

Edited by Mike Carefree

When Le Arse moved from Highbury to the Emeriates a lot of my gooner friends season tickets went up from £600 to £1200 .... That's a big increase

When Le Arse moved from Highbury to the Emeriates a lot of my gooner friends season tickets went up from £600 to £1200 .... That's a big increase

Especially when your team has got worse since the move. 

The exits reason is because the ground needs to be evacuated within 5 minutes of an emergency. Also, if Craven Cottage increases by 6000, that takes it up to 30k, which they may well be able to evacuate in that time and they'd need to prove that to the council in order to get planning permission.

I doubt we'd be in the same position as Arsenal if it came to a stadium move and ticket prices. I've heard rumours that we have a somewhat wealthy backer and any stadium expansion or new stadium build doesn't count under FFP.

Some of the rumoured plans for Battersea looked spectacular, but unfortunately we lost out on that one. I may be mistaken, but I think it was a blind auction and we just undervalued the site, which is a shame. If we can properly expand Stamford Bridge that'd be ideal, but it depends on lots of things.

Zola likes this

Not having a pop..(but) why do people keep saying that the good old fans will be priced out......Are the good old fans which include you..Which include me and many others all piss poor then ?....I see lots of old faces but know that unless its spuds wets manx pool etc , a lot are pissed off that the only real fun is in the pub pre match and then one is stuck sitting next to someone that you dont want to be sitting with....

Off topic, but Mike I need to get you a pint at the Globe one of these days.. 

I think its all of those reasons mate, tickets are too expensive now(i've been priced out of PL games only do cup ties now) pay £50/£60 at the cheapest price to sit next to a day tripper, no atmosphere, crap kick off time, or spend the same amount in your local or at a CFC pub with like minded mates, i know what i prefer & it doesnt involve day trippers.

i've got old skool mates who still go but even then sometimes they cant be arsed to leave the pub especially v the likes of Wigan for a 12.45 ko for example.

I just cant justify the cost every home game anymore to watch aload of millionaires run around for 90mins.

The exits reason is because the ground needs to be evacuated within 5 minutes of an emergency. Also, if Craven Cottage increases by 6000, that takes it up to 30k, which they may well be able to evacuate in that time and they'd need to prove that to the council in order to get planning permission.

I doubt we'd be in the same position as Arsenal if it came to a stadium move and ticket prices. I've heard rumours that we have a somewhat wealthy backer and any stadium expansion or new stadium build doesn't count under FFP.

Some of the rumoured plans for Battersea looked spectacular, but unfortunately we lost out on that one. I may be mistaken, but I think it was a blind auction and we just undervalued the site, which is a shame. If we can properly expand Stamford Bridge that'd be ideal, but it depends on lots of things.

Indeed, Arsenal's new stadium was set against huge loans which they had to pay back. Having said that I can't see their board suddenly reducing prices now that these have mostly been paid off. Whether we'd have the excuse to raise ticket prices so greatly upon the completion of a new stadium remains to be seen, however it's more than likely there'll be special cheaper seating available to the younger fans as these have been included in the leaked designs the club is looking at.

Battersea isn't completely dead, the Malaysians do not have unlimited finances at the moment and the renovation of the power station they're being forced to undertake is a large expense they'd more than likely rather sell off. Roman has been negotiating to take this off their hands and pay for the tube connection also.

If we expand the Bridge and everything goes to plan, to cut a long story short we'll end up with something that looks a punched-in pepsi can.

55k can be done and the Council are more than happy to back these plans.

The council are paying lip service, if anything.

I think its all of those reasons mate, tickets are too expensive now(i've been priced out of PL games only do cup ties now) pay £50/£60 at the cheapest price to sit next to a day tripper, no atmosphere, crap kick off time, or spend the same amount in your local or at a CFC pub with like minded mates, i know what i prefer & it doesnt involve day trippers.

i've got old skool mates who still go but even then sometimes they cant be arsed to leave the pub especially v the likes of Wigan for a 12.45 ko for example.

I just cant justify the cost every home game anymore to watch aload of millionaires run around for 90mins.

I agree with your points entirely Carshalton. I mean I'm 21, so I didn't experience 'the good old days with the good old lads' as it were. I was an ST holder for several years, but had to stop going due to work commitments. I still go to the odd cup game and a few away games up north (at uni at Newcastle), but I've found my viewing experience a lot more enjoyable not at the bridge, which is a real shame. You still get that thrill of knowing you're there at SB, but as an overall package watching the game with mates or fellow Chelsea fans at a pub is just overall better. There is no way it should be like that, but it is for many fans who would create for a better SB (Not saying I would contribute positively- although I like to think I do).

On any new stadium (which I cannot see happening in this decade), if anybody thinks the prices will come down because of the extra seats, you must be bonkers. That stadium will have to be paid for and we the fans are the non-fixed source of income. The CFC marketing team will go into overdrive and we'll see a lot more tourists at games as it becomes more of a theater like experience.

Chelsea's biggest challenge in terms of fans will be in around 2030, especially if Chelsea have fallen out of the top 6 in the league. People my age will be 40, and many will have never gone to SB on a regular  basis and they thus won't take their children on a regular basis and the cycle will continue.

Building a stadium is an investment for the LR. But this issue will need to be taken into consideration when questioning whether it is a viable business model. If the board are confident that in 2030 Chelsea will still be a Champions League outfit, by all means go for it. The stadium can still be filled by day sitters. If this can't be garunteed, then the club will need to rethink some policies before pumping half a billion into a project like this.

so you've both stopped going to premier league games, and you call the people who go every week day trippers ??

I'm sorry but this thing about non true fans going to games at the bridge each week is utter horse sh*t, Of all the people i know who had season tickets before Roman took over, Only one has given up his season ticket and that was due to the fact he lost his job and couldn't find work. The rest all go week after week.

The atmosphere might not but be the same as old, but that's what happens with success, it breeds expectation.

I agree with your points entirely Carshalton. I mean I'm 21, so I didn't experience 'the good old days with the good old lads' as it were. I was an ST holder for several years, but had to stop going due to work commitments. I still go to the odd cup game and a few away games up north (at uni at Newcastle), but I've found my viewing experience a lot more enjoyable not at the bridge, which is a real shame. You still get that thrill of knowing you're there at SB, but as an overall package watching the game with mates or fellow Chelsea fans at a pub is just overall better. There is no way it should be like that, but it is for many fans who would create for a better SB (Not saying I would contribute positively- although I like to think I do).

On any new stadium (which I cannot see happening in this decade), if anybody thinks the prices will come down because of the extra seats, you must be bonkers. That stadium will have to be paid for and we the fans are the non-fixed source of income. The CFC marketing team will go into overdrive and we'll see a lot more tourists at games as it becomes more of a theater like experience.

Chelsea's biggest challenge in terms of fans will be in around 2030, especially if Chelsea have fallen out of the top 6 in the league. People my age will be 40, and many will have never gone to SB on a regular  basis and they thus won't take their children on a regular basis and the cycle will continue.

Building a stadium is an investment for the LR. But this issue will need to be taken into consideration when questioning whether it is a viable business model. If the board are confident that in 2030 Chelsea will still be a Champions League outfit, by all means go for it. The stadium can still be filled by day sitters. If this can't be garunteed, then the club will need to rethink some policies before pumping half a billion into a project like this.

And thats one of the problems mate, young fans being priced out so where will they come from in the future? My boy is 19 & cant afford a st & no way can afford to be paying £50/£60 a game, & thats if those tickets are available, if there sold out v the top sides tickets then go up to £82, so a 19 year old is looking at £120+ to watch us live, its even worse if the game is on sky & the club charge that, still we sell out every game so some people dont mind paying it & all the time it sells the club will charge what they want.

so you've both stopped going to premier league games, and you call the people who go every week day trippers ??

I'm sorry but this thing about non true fans going to games at the bridge each week is utter horse sh*t, Of all the people i know who had season tickets before Roman took over, Only one has given up his season ticket and that was due to the fact he lost his job and couldn't find work. The rest all go week after week.

The atmosphere might not but be the same as old, but that's what happens with success, it breeds expectation.

I havent given up i had no choice, i was a st holder for years i got made redundant & my mrs was pregnant at the same time, i had two st's back then but had to give them up the following season, that was 2002, i'm a club member & last season done about 18 games, two PL aways QPR & Spurs, QPR i was owed money so that paid for my ticket, Spurs i was in the home end on a st & paid £35,one friendly away(bha) & the rest league cup/FA cup/CL group & every home europa games, but only becuase tickets are £15/£20 cheaper than a basic PL ticket, it doesnt sound a lot that i'm saving but add it up with travel, food,booze ect then it adds up.

By day trippers i mean tourists like Japs ect obviously not every match going fans, in my area alone there must be at least 20/30 older mates that hardly go now, for various reasons, work, family, prices, tv ect