Vidahost - UK Web Hosting
Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

junio_oscarSY

Our New Stadium

2,382 posts in this topic

Managed to grab this list of top 30 attendance list out in Europe.

Borussia Dortmund

Manchester United 

Barcelona

Bayern München

Real Madrid 

Schalke 04

Arsenal FC

Hamburg

Newcastle

Ajax

Stuttgart

B Mönchengladbach

E Frankfurt

Manchester City 

Celtic

Inter

F Düsseldorf 

Glasgow Rangers 

Feyenoord

Liverpool

Hannover 96

Atlético Madrid

Milan

Galatasaray

Paris St. Germain

Benfica

1. FC Nürnberg

Chelsea FC

Shakhtar Donetsk 

1. FC Köln

Really do believe we need to expand to a 65k stadium in the near future, but it has to be in the right place and time, dont want to suffer like Arsenal either.

so you've both stopped going to premier league games, and you call the people who go every week day trippers ??

I'm sorry but this thing about non true fans going to games at the bridge each week is utter horse sh*t, Of all the people i know who had season tickets before Roman took over, Only one has given up his season ticket and that was due to the fact he lost his job and couldn't find work. The rest all go week after week.

The atmosphere might not but be the same as old, but that's what happens with success, it breeds expectation.

Have to agree. I am from Belfast, I watch every game but can only go to a handful of games at best every year because of all the travel costs, I am a day tripper, but not through choice...

I have noticed the atmosphere drop over the years, I honestly don't think its just because the more vocal fans have been priced out - sure there is an element of that, but I think our success is every bit to blame. Fans expect a lot more now and the barrier has been set higher. People get restless, don't want to scream their lungs out against Stoke as there is an expectation to hammer them.

There's always a big noise for the big games, as sad as it is that's how modern football is now.

Its no longer just hammered men wrecking the place, its a family event - sit down, don't make too much fuss and don't forget to stop at the mega store on your way out!

Not sure how those attendance figures are arrived at.

That would imply that City & Arsenal are at capacity every week which they are not, there are always empty seats....

Strange if true, that would suggest they have 30k empty seats most weeks! 

With regards to our own stadium, my opinion is that we need to have a capacity of 55-60k if the club want to continue to develop.

Of the various things I have read it would be near impossible with regards to planning permission and H&S regulations to expand Stamford Bridge to 60k.

The club would take a huge loss in revenue if they were to knock down any of the current stands and redevelop, it would take maybe 12-18 months from start to end and I imagine a logistical nightmare too. 

Strange if true, that would suggest they have 30k empty seats most weeks!

With regards to our own stadium, my opinion is that we need to have a capacity of 55-60k if the club want to continue to develop.

Of the various things I have read it would be near impossible with regards to planning permission and H&S regulations to expand Stamford Bridge to 60k.

The club would take a huge loss in revenue if they were to knock down any of the current stands and redevelop, it would take maybe 12-18 months from start to end and I imagine a logistical nightmare too.

Definitely!

I havent given up i had no choice, i was a st holder for years i got made redundant & my mrs was pregnant at the same time, i had two st's back then but had to give them up the following season, that was 2002, i'm a club member & last season done about 18 games, two PL aways QPR & Spurs, QPR i was owed money so that paid for my ticket, Spurs i was in the home end on a st & paid £35,one friendly away(bha) & the rest league cup/FA cup/CL group & every home europa games, but only becuase tickets are £15/£20 cheaper than a basic PL ticket, it doesnt sound a lot that i'm saving but add it up with travel, food,booze ect then it adds up.

By day trippers i mean tourists like Japs ect obviously not every match going fans, in my area alone there must be at least 20/30 older mates that hardly go now, for various reasons, work, family, prices, tv ect

Look don't get me wrong mate, i understand that through circumstances through no fault of their own that people cannot afford to watch the football week in week out. It's a luxury

but to say the people who attend chelsea matches are day trippers just because you don't know them just get's to me, It's something jealous liverpool or west ham fans say, Not our own fans ! I myself emigrated to australia, and just because i only get to see a game at stamford bridge once every couple of years doesn't mean i'm any less a fan, I get up at all times in the night to watch chelsea whether it be 10 pm, 12 pm, 1am, 5 am it really doesn't matter. Either way i still have blue blood, either way i after that barcelona 2nd leg i come out of my living shaking like a leaf i was so nervous during that match

And even if they are day trippers, it might be the only time they ever get to see chelsea live, doesn't make them any less of a chelsea fan.

Xfaxtor, ozboy, martimaffs and 1 other like this

When Le Arse moved from Highbury to the Emeriates a lot of my gooner friends season tickets went up from £600 to £1200 .... That's a big increase

Arsenal as a football club had to pay for their new stadium.

Our new stadium would in effect be a gift from the owner.

Not sure how those attendance figures are arrived at.

That would imply that City & Arsenal are at capacity every week which they are not, there are always empty seats....

What one might see are seats not used at arsenal...(but) these could be season tickets paid up but not in attendance ..thats why youll still see capacity as the attendance..................................i think

I really don't want to leave SB. It's been our home for as long as we have been a football club. So if we were to move, the new one would have to be spectacular or I'd be really disappointed. We don't want some soul-less piece of crap like the Emirates or City's new ground.

Personally my favourite ever stadium is the San Nicola. It's unlikely we'd go down that route, but if we had something that looked like that I would be okay with it.

Jezz likes this

What one might see are seats not used at arsenal...(but) these could be season tickets paid up but not in attendance ..thats why youll still see capacity as the attendance..................................i think

Yeah you might be right.

Pretty sure Arsenal announce a sell out every single game but on occasion it is quite clearly nowhere near full- even against Wigan in a crunch game at the end of last season this was the case.

I am pretty sure City still don't sell out all games though...

Have to agree. I am from Belfast, I watch every game but can only go to a handful of games at best every year because of all the travel costs, I am a day tripper, but not through choice...

I have noticed the atmosphere drop over the years, I honestly don't think its just because the more vocal fans have been priced out - sure there is an element of that, but I think our success is every bit to blame. Fans expect a lot more now and the barrier has been set higher. People get restless, don't want to scream their lungs out against Stoke as there is an expectation to hammer them.

There's always a big noise for the big games, as sad as it is that's how modern football is now.

Its no longer just hammered men wrecking the place, its a family event - sit down, don't make too much fuss and don't forget to stop at the mega store on your way out!

Look don't get me wrong mate, i understand that through circumstances through no fault of their own that people cannot afford to watch the football week in week out. It's a luxury

but to say the people who attend chelsea matches are day trippers just because you don't know them just get's to me, It's something jealous liverpool or west ham fans say, Not our own fans ! I myself emigrated to australia, and just because i only get to see a game at stamford bridge once every couple of years doesn't mean i'm any less a fan, I get up at all times in the night to watch chelsea whether it be 10 pm, 12 pm, 1am, 5 am it really doesn't matter. Either way i still have blue blood, either way i after that barcelona 2nd leg i come out of my living shaking like a leaf i was so nervous during that match

And even if they are day trippers, it might be the only time they ever get to see chelsea live, doesn't make them any less of a chelsea fan.

Lads i dont mean the likes of you, Chelsea fans who have been there & seen it, if you look at some of my posts on various threads you'll see i've Chelsea mates in Adalaide, Glasgow & in the north of England who bar my aussie mate come to the odd games, i mean the sort of day trippers that only come because of a holiday in London & because its fashionable now the same sort of people that would jump ship to Man Utd or Arsenal for example, football tourists, who wants to sit next to people like that because i dont, with their phones & camera's out at every throw in, corner ect

I agree though new fans no matter where they come from is good for the club but as long as they stay Chelsea fans then its fine, at least they'll show more emotion to the cause than a "tourist" would.

Zola likes this

They have to bring back terracing. Look at the attendances and atmosphere in Germany. I keep going on about it but it would solve many issues.

You dont have to have entire stadiums, but you could easily have safe affordable standing areas.This would give people an option, people who want to create an atmosphere can all stand together and sing till their hearts content without some Japanese tourist telling him to sit down every 5 minutes cos he trying to take a picture. People who have been priced out would have an affordable option too.

Sadly its probably never going to happen, not because of health and safety.....surely there must be some European law that says if its ok in Germany its ok here. If you can have 250,000 standing in a field all day out there nuts at a concert i'm sure you could have 20,000 people standing safely at a football match for 90mins.

If the clubs pushed for it they would get it but they wont, they are happy to have waiting lists and demand exceeding supply so they can drive the price up.

Every bodies match day is different and most are catered for and rightly so. If someone wants to sit and watch a game with their kids they have a family section. If someone wants to have a 3 course meal and a bottle of wine they can go corporate. There are more women at football now than ever before and facilities in place to accommodate all types of fans. Disabled, o.a.p's, tourists the lot there all welcomed and all catered for.

Whats so bad about the blokes who cant afford the seats, cant go corperate, has no kids and wants to have a few beers and sing a few silly songs at a match after a hard weeks work.....oh no we dont want him here anymore he's a hooligan. :rolleyes:

Edited by c3blu2
Zola and andy like this

Lads i dont mean the likes of you, Chelsea fans who have been there & seen it, if you look at some of my posts on various threads you'll see i've Chelsea mates in Adalaide, Glasgow & in the north of England who bar my aussie mate come to the odd games, i mean the sort of day trippers that only come because of a holiday in London & because its fashionable now the same sort of people that would jump ship to Man Utd or Arsenal for example, football tourists, who wants to sit next to people like that because i dont, with their phones & camera's out at every throw in, corner ect

I agree though new fans no matter where they come from is good for the club but as long as they stay Chelsea fans then its fine, at least they'll show more emotion to the cause than a "tourist" would.

Those tickets that the "tourist" obtained are available to anyone and likely came from a season ticket holder that sold their ticket.  Are you saying that a season ticket holder that sells some of their games to supplement the cost of the season ticket is not a true fan because they are letting a "tourist" buy their tickets?  I am from the states and if I ever make it to a match at the Bridge, I will be a day tripper.  Does that make me less of a fan? 

Most athletic teams target the prime earning individual for their tickets sales.  That is the 25-50 year old fan.  Unfortunately that limits that attendance of the younger fans.  It is part of the price that is paid to have a high wage team.  As fans, you should want the games sold out at a high price per ticket to ensure that your team can continue to bring in the best players.  

Here in the states, I just recently gave up our season tickets that we have had for 30 years to the Chicago Bears because I got tired of paying for them.  I could afford the tickets but I just got tired of paying for them or trying to sell them.  My choice but another fan bought the rights to the tickets and they can start their season ticket experience.  I will still buy individual games as I choose but the important thing is that someone is going to the game.

Not everyone can afford a season ticket, but that is not the fault of the team.  The team has to make as much as they can while still filing the stadium so they can put the best team on the pitch.

If Chelsea could sell out a 65,000 seat stadium, then that is what all fans should hope for as it will provide for the best possible team year after year.

Sorry if this hurts the feelings of some fans but being a fan with low income does not mean the team should take less money for a ticket just to make you happy when there is another fan (or attendee) willing to pay more.

They have to bring back terracing. Look at the attendances and atmosphere in Germany. I keep going on about it but it would solve many issues.

You dont have to have entire stadiums, but you could easily have safe affordable standing areas.This would give people an option, people who want to create an atmosphere can all stand together and sing till their hearts content without some Japanese tourist telling him to sit down every 5 minutes cos he trying to take a picture. People who have been priced out would have an affordable option too.

Sadly its probably never going to happen, not because of health and safety.....surely there must be some European law that says if its ok in Germany its ok here. If you can have 250,000 standing in a field all day out there nuts at a concert i'm sure you could have 20,000 people standing safely at a football match for 90mins.

If the clubs pushed for it they would get it but they wont, they are happy to have waiting lists and demand exceeding supply so they can drive the price up.

Every bodies match day is different and most are catered for and rightly so. If someone wants to sit and watch a game with their kids they have a family section. If someone wants to have a 3 course meal and a bottle of wine they can go corporate. There are more women at football now than ever before and facilities in place to accommodate all types of fans. Disabled, o.a.p's, tourists the lot there all welcomed and all catered for.

Whats so bad about the blokes who cant afford the seats, cant go corperate, has no kids and wants to have a few beers and sing a few silly songs at a match after a hard weeks work.....oh no we dont want him here anymore he's a hooligan. :rolleyes:

I think I've written this somewhere else, but I don't think there is a need to be so pessimistic over safe standing. Obviously it will take a good while and we would probably be one of the last clubs to do it, but there has been some significant movement on the issue recently. More and more clubs are coming out in support. Nearly the entire championship have done so, with a good number of premier league clubs saying they would support it. Don't be surprised to see some scottish clubs putting it in, as there aren't the same legal restraints up there. As more and more clubs struggle to sell out and attendances at least in the lower leagues falling, standing areas could provide clubs with real options. In my opinion it will only take one club to successfully trial it (probably Villa) for many to follow.

Far too many rumours & not enough concrete movement! I love the Bridge, but a bigger stadium will be needed in the near future!

Those tickets that the "tourist" obtained are available to anyone and likely came from a season ticket holder that sold their ticket.  Are you saying that a season ticket holder that sells some of their games to supplement the cost of the season ticket is not a true fan because they are letting a "tourist" buy their tickets?  I am from the states and if I ever make it to a match at the Bridge, I will be a day tripper.  Does that make me less of a fan? 

Most athletic teams target the prime earning individual for their tickets sales.  That is the 25-50 year old fan.  Unfortunately that limits that attendance of the younger fans.  It is part of the price that is paid to have a high wage team.  As fans, you should want the games sold out at a high price per ticket to ensure that your team can continue to bring in the best players.  

Here in the states, I just recently gave up our season tickets that we have had for 30 years to the Chicago Bears because I got tired of paying for them.  I could afford the tickets but I just got tired of paying for them or trying to sell them.  My choice but another fan bought the rights to the tickets and they can start their season ticket experience.  I will still buy individual games as I choose but the important thing is that someone is going to the game.

Not everyone can afford a season ticket, but that is not the fault of the team.  The team has to make as much as they can while still filing the stadium so they can put the best team on the pitch.

If Chelsea could sell out a 65,000 seat stadium, then that is what all fans should hope for as it will provide for the best possible team year after year.

Sorry if this hurts the feelings of some fans but being a fan with low income does not mean the team should take less money for a ticket just to make you happy when there is another fan (or attendee) willing to pay more.

Well I suppose the argument would be that its not simply about trying to get the biggest attendances and most amount of money in the pocket of the club. The reason its important to get certain fans in is because they are the club. They are it's soul. They're what make it what it is.Not guys who are just interested in the league, liked the look of Chelsea and decided to have a field day at the megastore.I'm sorry if it upsets anyone,but they are simply not the same level of fan who has been following the team for years, home and away,possibly with family connections to the club. 

Well I suppose the argument would be that its not simply about trying to get the biggest attendances and most amount of money in the pocket of the club. The reason its important to get certain fans in is because they are the club. They are it's soul. They're what make it what it is.Not guys who are just interested in the league, liked the look of Chelsea and decided to have a field day at the megastore.I'm sorry if it upsets anyone,but they are simply not the same level of fan who has been following the team for years, home and away,possibly with family connections to the club. 

I will try to say this without stirring up too much trouble....But be careful about assigning levels of fans based on time following a club. New fans are usually beneficial to a club.  They also tend to be more active in positively supporting the club (especially financially).  A longer history with the club does not mean that they are a better or smarter type of fan.  Positive support is still positive support.

Without continual positive financial support, the team can't grow. Why do you think Chelsea is trying so hard to build a big fan base in the states?  New fans = new money.

I will try to say this without stirring up too much trouble....But be careful about assigning levels of fans based on time following a club. New fans are usually beneficial to a club.  They also tend to be more active in positively supporting the club (especially financially).  A longer history with the club does not mean that they are a better or smarter type of fan.  Positive support is still positive support.

Without continual positive financial support, the team can't grow. Why do you think Chelsea is trying so hard to build a big fan base in the states?  New fans = new money.

Yeah of course there is no denying the income generated from attracting new fans to the club is helpful for building the team/generating revenue etc. But again you're quantifying this simply financially. Money isn't the be all and end all support for a club. And of course your right , length of time supporting a club does not immediately make you a better fan, but I'm gonna bet that most of the people who went up to Middlesborough on a Wednesday night for an FA Cup tie didn't just pick up Chelsea last week. What I'm saying is, fine, if you got to appeal to people to sell shirts fine, but they arn't gonna be the ones there when things really go wrong. It's vital for the club to remain accessible for its core fanbase

WeatherMan likes this

What I'm saying is, fine, if you got to appeal to people to sell shirts fine, but they arn't gonna be the ones there when things really go wrong. It's vital for the club to remain accessible for its core fanbase

That's the trick isn't it? The team wants to turn new fans into its core fanbase, making that fanbase larger.  The larger fanbase means that even when people leave if things go wrong there are still plenty of fans to support the team. That leaves a larger core fanbase (new and old). Not all longstanding fans will live forever.  

I do understand what you are saying.  In Chicago, we had no fanbase for the professional hockey team 6 years ago, even though it is one of the oldest in the league.  Through a change in marketing that bought us a league championship three years ago, the fanbase grew astronomically.  A couple less successful years followed and interest started to wane off of the peak numbers.  This year they had the best record in the league and are challenging for the championship again. Now the support is twice what it was in the championship year.  In order to keep the increased fan support, the team has to be competitive each year.  However, to do that the team must put the best team on the ice all the time.  Fan support is required to be able to accomplish that objective.  However, each successful year will cement the support of the fanbase.  Therefore enlarging its core fanbase and exposure everywhere.

That's the trick isn't it? The team wants to turn new fans into its core fanbase, making that fanbase larger.  The larger fanbase means that even when people leave if things go wrong there are still plenty of fans to support the team. That leaves a larger core fanbase (new and old). Not all longstanding fans will live forever.  

I do understand what you are saying.  In Chicago, we had no fanbase for the professional hockey team 6 years ago, even though it is one of the oldest in the league.  Through a change in marketing that bought us a league championship three years ago, the fanbase grew astronomically.  A couple less successful years followed and interest started to wane off of the peak numbers.  This year they had the best record in the league and are challenging for the championship again. Now the support is twice what it was in the championship year.  In order to keep the increased fan support, the team has to be competitive each year.  However, to do that the team must put the best team on the ice all the time.  Fan support is required to be able to accomplish that objective.  However, each successful year will cement the support of the fanbase.  Therefore enlarging its core fanbase and exposure everywhere.

The problem is, the club aren't trying to grow fanbase the same way the Blackhawks did. In a big sports city like Chicago, teams are trying to get people in the arena over the different sports teams. The fanbase grew because people from Chicago embraced the team due to the success.

Its different in London. If Chelsea are going through a particularly bad spell but Harlequins are winning the Rugby premiership every year, it doesn't mean that the people who would be going or supporting Chelsea, start following a different sport. Football is a lot more omnipresent here.Everyone follows a team .People from London and the surrounding area, the people who realistically make the core of the support (domestically at least), choose a team due to geographic proximity, family ties, or how often they go to the ground.

What I'm saying is that the "new" fans, are most likely from overseas. Whilst I'm sure that is great for the clubs finances, it does not then translate into more people coming to the ground every week , or travelling the country. Just because someone from Malaysia has fallen madly deeply in love with Chelsea, I don't think that is the same thing as growing a strong domestic fanbase, which ultimately sustains the club through more difficult times.

Basically the essential problem is that to often these days, people going to stamford bridge, even if they do genuinely care about Chelsea, are interested in getting a photo inside the the ground, buying everything in the Megastore, and taking photos throughout the game on their phone. They're not ingrained in the culture of what it actually means to be a Chelsea supporter, going every week, feeling the agony and the ecstasy.

In that way , its become more like an exchange. Come to Stamford Bridge , buy a shirt , watch the match, and suddenly your a "proper" Chelsea supporter. I'm sorry but its nowhere near the same thing, and I really think that unless the club can find a way of getting younger people in on a regular basis, then the we won't have many of our hardcore left.

Edited by blueboy26

Yeah you might be right.

Pretty sure Arsenal announce a sell out every single game but on occasion it is quite clearly nowhere near full- even against Wigan in a crunch game at the end of last season this was the case.

I am pretty sure City still don't sell out all games though...

On the other side I remeber old Batsey doing a diddle here n there.....One could work out an approx in the ground based on what you knew the stands could hold...Low n behold youd read there was 13,000 +....whhaaaaat..there was near 25000...lol

c3blu2 likes this

I've said before that the least money makers for the club are the die hard match goers as they and very little beyond the ticket. They want the day trippers who come and buy a shirt, scarf, commemorative mug or the corporate box owners.