Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huttsey

The Shed End.com - A History

I have been a regular user of this site for over a year now, after the BBC 606 site closed, and I must say what has drawn me to remain on this site has the been the buzzing community and the general quality of well thought out, respectful posts. This is unusual for an Internet forum, as they're normally full of abusive prepubescent's or are like the Mary Celeste. What we have here is on my opinion the best Chelsea forum there is, and quite possibly the best forum I've ever been on.

What I have also noticed here is that there is a layer of close-knit posters who have been around for a long time, even on first name terms!

I noticed a certain post here this morning:

Learnt the news from the old Shed End site

This got me thinking, 'Wait, there was an old Shed End site?'.

It has opened my curiosity today, when did this site begin? Who was the founder, and why did they start it?

To get to the point, we have a forum division here titled 'The Shed End Forum Chelsea History'. Why not include a thread there that includes the history of this site? I think it may prove a good read to those newbies like myself.

As a club, Chelsea is regularly accused of having no history, yet there seems to be a fair bit of history on this site alone. If one of the regulars is able to write it then I'd be intrigued to read it.

Just a thought, on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

In the beginning Loz created the headers and the borders. Now the site was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the screen, and the Spirits of Loz were hovering over a glass of gin & tonic.

And Loz said, “What a load of sh*te,†and he was right. 4 Loz saw that the Blues were good, and he separated the Blues from the Spurs. 5 Loz called the Blues “Shed Enders†and the Spurs he called “w**kers.â€

(and so on)

The Shed End started as a sort of fork off from another forum called the CSR Forums (Chelsea Supporters Registry). The main site is still active, though long been updated

http://www.chelsea-fc.com/csr/

PR ran/runs that site and I believe the forum originally started in 1996. During 2006, PR switched off that forum. I believe, it was switched off due to personal attacks etc and PR just had enough of it (I now understand why). Regular members on it accessed the site expecting to go post and read the forum, and one day, it was all gone.

I was in touch with a member called Rizza on the old forum and through her, got in touch with Loz (who was originally a moderator on the CSR. Loz had started a freebie forum site for the old members to go and start afresh, but the site, even then, couldn't cope with all the newly registered members posting, so I teamed up with Loz and we built a forum on its own hosting with phpBB.

PR was reluctant to pass on the SQL back-up so it all started again.

It was originally called CSR Forums 2 as it was mainly put together so all the old members still had a place similar to the old one.

We had another site on The Shed End domain, which was articles and write-up's on players etc that linked to the forum. Shortly after, when the forum grew and became its own, we moved everything on The Shed End domain and dropped the old scripts and built it into Invision Board.

Through various links in and a good Google ranking, the forum grew over the years, and while there is a still a core of old CSR posters here, The Shed End has evolved itself. The forum has also been helped by media coverage (links in newspapers and breaking the sacking of Jose news in 2007)

I hope that helped out a little more than Plokoons summary. :smile:

Mod, wasn't the CSR forum at some point a separate site (separate from the CSR registry) as well, or do I remember it wrong? I mean before it became CSR2? I seem to remember accessing it via the CSR registry site at first, but then going straight to the forum without ever going to the registry site.

Maskimov is correct the current site was started by some Internet savvy and Ambrovich like old members of the Chelsea Supporters Registry when that site closed down . There are quite a few old regs from the CSR on here

Mod, wasn't the CSR forum at some point a separate site (separate from the CSR registry) as well, or do I remember it wrong?

Yea although the registry linked to it and was known as the CSR, it was on dogsy.com domain name.

During 2006, PR switched off that forum. I believe, it was switched off due to personal attacks etc and PR just had enough of it (I now understand why). Regular members on it accessed the site expecting to go post and read the forum, and one day, it was all gone.

I remember that day well. It was a real shock, as I had no inkling anything was up. Luckily I had Loz's email address as I'd sent him some stuff a while before, and he told me about his - and your - plans to rescue the site and get as many members back as possible. It didn't take like for everything to get back to normal and move on to bigger and better things.

The forum has also been helped by media coverage (links in newspapers and breaking the sacking of Jose news in 2007)

That was unreal. I was on here at the time. Some guy just joined to break the news - can't remember his name - before the rest of the media had carried the story.

I remember him being banned not long after for posting some pretty extreme views about immigrants.

In the beginning Loz created the headers and the borders.

Oit, I created those! Well, the logo that we still use today and the old/original forum banner.

Loz was a fussy moo though so I didn't have much room for freedom of expression. 

Oit, I created those! Well, the logo that we still use today and the old/original forum banner.

Loz was a fussy moo though so I didn't have much room for freedom of expression. 

Entirely correct you are!  I'm surprised you didn't tell me to sod right off back then.  Mod and Gem, more than anyone, can tell you how bloody anal I am when changing colours and graphics. If I agree on version 78 you have done well!

Entirely correct you are! I'm surprised you didn't tell me to sod right off back then. Mod and Gem, more than anyone, can tell you how bloody anal I am when changing colours and graphics. If I agree on version 78 you have done well!

You, bloody anal? Surely not!

Ahh! the old CSR, great days, great days.

I can remember being on there the night rumours about abramovich first appeared. Everyone Googling him to try And find out if it was true or a hoax. I cant remember who it was but someone posted a link to how much he was worth. no one knew What to say.....

I can remember being on there the night rumours about abramovich first appeared. Everyone Googling him to try And find out if it was true or a hoax. I cant remember who it was but someone posted a link to how much he was worth. no one knew What to say.....

I don't remember hearing any rumours - just hearing on the radio one morning about it and thinking "sh*t, is that good or bad news"?

Interesting reading this -  back when I first got the internet in '96 I discovered the Chelsea match chat on the old CSR site. Imagine a teenager never having used the web and suddenly finding a live chat room full of people from the whole world talking about Chelsea as well as a load of keyboard shortcuts to post cool things on the screen eg /beer /goal

I was also a subscriber to the Chelsea email discussion list - remember my favourite acronym FIOTT (found it on the train) to describe the sun and any stories linked to it. I even was a winner of the highest average points score in the butch's prediction league one year!

I wasn't as active in the old CST forum but I was a bit surprised when it closed down and when I eventually found my way here found my old username had been taken! Didn't know the full story until I read it on this post and in awe of the people who put all the work in to make this forum. Even if it's become a bit depressing over the last year hopefully that will change now! Now I must stop being so cheap and make a donation!