Willian

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

14 hours ago, EmeraldBlue said:

Didn't he lose his mother last year? And I don't believe she was very old. I think Willian has been an 8+ for us since he arrived.

His work rate has been 8+ since he arrived, but his ability for a winger has been anything but that. The way Willian is playing now is better than anything he has ever shown at the club. He consistently looks threatening now, in the past he would show promise until it came to producing end product. His passing has been very erratic until recently too.

• 4 weeks later...

Every player has this reaction in him, I can't blame him, to be honest, and Conte must understand this. Conte has to remove his ego and speak to Willian in private, motivate him and praise him. 

Dropping him would be just a mistake, Hazard and him are leading us, he finally became a real class and losing him would be a stupid mistake.

4 minutes ago, IliyaKrostin said:

Every player has this reaction in him, I can't blame him, to be honest, and Conte must understand this. Conte has to remove his ego and speak to Willian in private, motivate him and praise him. 

Dropping him would be just a mistake, Hazard and him are leading us, he finally became a real class and losing him would be a stupid mistake.

Meh, he's slipped back into that frustrating player again in the last month. Touches are heavy again, passing is erratic, end product has dried up, decision making is 50/50. He probably had one really good moment all game, and that was when he ran through the Southampton midfield, other than that, he was having a pretty average game. 

I had no problem with the sub today, it was who he was subbed for that annoyed me.

I don't understand some of these things I am seeing.  I thought he was pretty good on Sunday and didn't deserve to be subbed.  Especially since the moment he was subbed off for Bakayoko we immediately got worse.  Willian relieved pressure along with Hazard all game when we had no other outlets.  He sprinted past players and got into dangerous areas.  

When we switched to 3-5-2 we immediately sat back and invited even more pressure, then hoofed it upfield hoping Hazard or Giroud could control it and bring it down.  This mistake in sub was masked by a header from Morata later but the initial sub of Willian for Bakayoko left me dumbfounded.  If Conte wanted to switch formation it should have been a double change instead of a 1 for 1 Willian for Bakayoko, especially considering the form of both players and the impact both before and after the sub of the two players involved.  

Overall I think Willian is still playing good football

4 minutes ago, TheChelsRVA said:

I don't understand some of these things I am seeing.  I thought he was pretty good on Sunday and didn't deserve to be subbed.  Especially since the moment he was subbed off for Bakayoko we immediately got worse.  Willian relieved pressure along with Hazard all game when we had no other outlets.  He sprinted past players and got into dangerous areas.  

When we switched to 3-5-2 we immediately sat back and invited even more pressure, then hoofed it upfield hoping Hazard or Giroud could control it and bring it down.  This mistake in sub was masked by a header from Morata later but the initial sub of Willian for Bakayoko left me dumbfounded.  If Conte wanted to switch formation it should have been a double change instead of a 1 for 1 Willian for Bakayoko, especially considering the form of both players and the impact both before and after the sub of the two players involved.  

Southampton had started to come back into the game as we had sat back like we usually do after going ahead. Baka sure'd us up in the middle. 

Just now, RIP Mourinho said:

Southampton had started to come back into the game as we had sat back like we usually do after going ahead. Baka sure'd us up in the middle. 

I'm sure that was the intention but I didn't see that from a man who stands on the left. I would have kept Willian on playing alongside Fab and Kante, Willian actually moves and closes down and has good transition from defence to attack. He had to bring on Pedro anyway.

9 minutes ago, TheChelsRVA said:

It's been the same all season, Conte was trying to hold on for the 1 nil but the defence has been poor for a while and always gifts chances. It was the hope Hazard does something special formation. Luckily Southampton had to open up but if they did score we would have had to go more attacking anyway. 

10 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

That's the natural flow of football though.  When you go down you attack more..it happens in every game for most teams.  Willian still relieved pressure and had better work rate when Southy got more attacking.  It got worse when Bakayoko came on, not better.  At least from what I saw.  

5 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

It's been the same all season, Conte was trying to hold on for the 1 nil but the defence has been poor for a while and always gifts chances. It was the hope Hazard does something special formation. Luckily Southampton had to open up but if they did score we would have had to go more attacking anyway. 

Yes I like calling it that.  The Hazard prayer formation.  same with False 9. Please Hazard do something!!  fans will really miss him if he leaves this summer...

There's not many better players than Willian at driving forward with the ball at pace on the counter. Guy can transition from defence to attack in an instance

The main issue I have with Willian though is that sometimes his final ball is lacking at times, other than that he's been class for us and has 13 goals so far this season which is a very good return and his highest goal scoring season in his career

Hopefully we keep hold of him during the Summer

16 minutes ago, Sparkz said:

There's not many better players than Willian at driving forward with the ball at pace on the counter. Guy can transition from defence to attack in an instance

The main issue I have with Willian though is that sometimes his final ball is lacking at times, other than that he's been class for us and has 13 goals so far this season which is a very good return and his highest goal scoring season in his career

Hopefully we keep hold of him during the Summer

I fully agree. I think Willian is a player that we need to keep. At times he can be frustrating even a bit wasteful at times, especially when him and Hazard get going on their blind flicks :slap_face:. But his pace when he explodes out of the back is perfect for our counter attack.

• 3 weeks later...

Had his little purple patch, scored a couple of goals and has reverted back to type where his decision making is poor and execution isn’t good enough.

He’s at fault for the goal, holds the ball too long, runs into trouble in the middle of the pitch and leaves us exposed on the counter.