Non-league

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

A very performance by Dulwich Hamlet in a 2-0 win against a surprisingly poor Maidstone United last night. Another good crowd of 800+ which was lower than expected probably due to the rain and closeness to Xmas. Non-stop singing for 90 minutes from the rabble behind the goal.

Carshalton Athletic, family ties with the club going back to the 40s, haven't watched them for a few years as the owner has raped the club, changed our kit colour & badge, sacked managers put himself in charge, got them relegated now quit as manager, now struggling at the bottom of the league again, few years ago we were a pen kick from promotion to this shambles now.

Dipre out.

Carshalton Athletic, family ties with the club going back to the 40s, haven't watched them for a few years as the owner has raped the club, changed our kit colour & badge, sacked managers put himself in charge, got them relegated now quit as manager, now struggling at the bottom of the league again, few years ago we were a pen kick from promotion to this shambles now.

Dipre out.

Home to Dulwich Hamlet on New Years Day, I can't go and another ground I've never been, it'll probably be a few years before the opportunity arises again. I went to Cray Wanderers (0) v The Hamlet (6) yesterday so Hayes Lane has now been visited, a really nice ground too.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bromley have installed new seating behind one of the goals. This is required for them to compete in the play-offs and the Conference Premier. I look forward to watching Bromley from the view of those seats for many years to come!  They were used for the London 2012 aquatic centre so a piece of Olympic history is now at Bromley.

Used to go to Tooting & Mitcham in the 70's, and Wimbledon too when they were in the Southern League - the good old days!

In recent years I've been to a few AFC Wimbledon games, home and away, and the occasional Hastings United game. Better atmosphere at some non-league games than in the Premiership.

Used to go to Tooting & Mitcham in the 70's, and Wimbledon too when they were in the Southern League - the good old days!

In recent years I've been to a few AFC Wimbledon games, home and away, and the occasional Hastings United game. Better atmosphere at some non-league games than in the Premiership.

Too right mate.  

Dulwich matches are pretty much non-stop singing for 90mins, plenty of people have a go at starting the chants and some of the supporters are absolutely nuts as you can see by the pictures above, even "Harry Robert's..." was sung against the Met Police on Tuesday, upsetting a few .

Away support can vary between 40-100 for normal away games apart from trips to Suffolk midweek where it can drop considerably and understandably but rise to a couple of hundred such as at Kingstonian, amazing really when you consider that was about the average home gate a couple of years back.

I can see a potential 1000+ home gate against Bognor later in the season, unfortunately the other biggy against Maidstone was rescheduled for the second successive season for a wet Tuesday and was a few hundred less than if it had been on a Saturday.  

Wealdstone also have great support so the away match there should be a good one.

If only there were covered ends at Champion Hill!

Just next door.  You'll probably remember the playing fields in front of the old ground which is now partly a landscaped park and the rest the car park for Sainsbury's which was built over the ground and training pitch with anew stadium built back a bit.  It's quite a nice modern ground but with no terracing other than a few steps behind the goals in the middle, same on the side which does have a tiny cover but a nice main stand and bar, gym, etc but this is too big and a drain due to the cost of its upkeep.

After tomorrows match there's a public meeting as the lease expired and has been bought by a property developer.  There's room behind the ground for a new stadium but this has a preservation order on it as its Metropolitan Open Land although it's nothing more than a space for burnt out mopeds and dog sh*t.

The ground you remember was superb for it's time though, huge and traditional, especially the side terrace.  It started to fall down though and the old wooden stand was closed down by the Fire Brigade.

Anyone that does live nearby, come down one day you'll love it.  The football's good too!

I have visited Champion Hill once. It was to watch what was by a huge margin the worst game of football I have ever seen (and I have seen some shambolic matches following Bromley). It is the only time EVER I have come close to being bored at a football match. It was a 0-0 draw when we (Bromley) played Hamlet in a pre season friendly in 2012.

However, the ground is really nice. A fantastic non-league ground. I really would love Bromley to get Hamlet away in a cup some time. I would really like to go back to Champion Hill. My only criticism is the burgers but that doesn't matter too much because I can just grab a McDonalds before haha :D

One last thing. Didn't a match get abandoned last season because some fans knocked over a gate after Hamlet scored? I also heard they were all dressed in onesies. Peckham blue, were you at that match and what exactly happened?

Edited by BromleyBlue

I have visited Champion Hill once. It was to watch what was by a huge margin the worst game of football I have ever seen (and I have seen some shambolic matches following Bromley). It is the only time EVER I have come close to being bored at a football match. It was a 0-0 draw when we (Bromley) played Hamlet in a pre season friendly in 2012.

However, the ground is really nice. A fantastic non-league ground. I really would love Bromley to get Hamlet away in a cup some time. I would really like to go back to Champion Hill. My only criticism is the burgers but that doesn't matter too much because I can just grab a McDonalds before haha :D

One last thing. Didn't a match get abandoned last season because some fans knocked over a gate after Hamlet scored? I also heard they were all dressed in onesies. Peckham blue, were you at that match and what exactly happened?

You're quite right about the wall incident.  Two seasons before Dulwich lost to Leatherhead in the play-off final conceding an equaliser in the 97th minute and then lost in extra time, Leatherhead went up, came straight back down but were a promotion rival last season.  The game was about two thirds of the way through the season and after the second goal to put hamlet two up with about ten minutes to go the fifteen or so teenagers who went to the match in onesies celebrated but the single course brick wall collapsed during the celebration.  As you can see by the picture with the green flare at Tooting above these lads are a bit boisterous but nothing worse than that.  The debris was cleared but the Leatherhead players did everything they could to get the ref to abandon the game which he did and the Leatherhread players celebrated like they won the cup.  Dulwich lost the rearranged match which could have cost promotion, thankfully it didn't but as a result there's a lot of bitterness with hamlet fans towards Leatherhead which is a shame as there was always respect between two old non-league clubs.  

I last saw Bromley down there probably the last time the clubs played a proper match with hamlet losing 3-0 the third goal being a thunderbolt into the top corner and one of the best I've ever seen.  Good away support that day too.

The burgers aren't bad these days either.

Have seen my local team, Welling United a few times over the years. Club has a very good supporters bar. A few years back they were managed by our former full-back, Paul Parker. It's also where Andy Townsend started his career.

• 1 month later...