Zouma - If Kurt's Happy, I'm Happy!

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

• 2 weeks later...

I thought he looked very ropey today, yes he is coming back after a serious injury but I question if his all round game is upto the standards we require. His passing was poor and he appears to have a spatial awareness problem. All to often he appears to lose the flight of the ball when its in the air. Come the end of the  season It wouldn't surprise me if he is deemed surplus to requirements and let go.

9 hours ago, charierre said:

I thought he looked very ropey today, yes he is coming back after a serious injury but I question if his all round game is upto the standards we require. His passing was poor and he appears to have a spatial awareness problem. All to often he appears to lose the flight of the ball when its in the air. Come the end of the  season It wouldn't surprise me if he is deemed surplus to requirements and let go.

I think I agree. Christensen is coming back and I think we will try to sign one more. He's not looked convincing since he came back from injury. Primarily for me he doesn't look comfortable on the ball.

First of all, he needs his confidence back, he was a starter and then hasn't played for one year because of an injury. It's very hard, but he's trying his best. He needs few games before we can even think how he will look in future for us.

As a coach, I had my player U16, hasn't played for 5 months. I told him before every training, that sometimes injuries can do the opposite to a player, the recovery can be an upgrade and can make the player better. I believe in this philosophy, I can see Zouma coming better to us, it will take some time, but he will. 

12 hours ago, charierre said:

Positioning has always been a weak point of his, that's why he does so many last ditch recovery tackles because he loses his man a lot. 

He's never been the slickest passer of the ball, generally looks a bit clumsy and awkward on the ball, especially compared to players like Luiz and JT.

The back three just seems to magnify his weaknesses, playing out from the back is a big part of what we try to do and he doesn't seem comfortable doing it.

Personally I think Ake will be ahead of him because not only is he a lot more comfortable in possession, no doubt having played as a defensive midfielder before has helped but also his versatility of being able to play in defence, wing back and midfield makes him a good asset. 

No question Zouma is a very talented young player but for me I'm not sure he has the attributes required to play in Conte's system. 

On 19/02/2017 at 12:29, ForeverCarefree said:

Positioning has always been a weak point of his, that's why he does so many last ditch recovery tackles because he loses his man a lot. 

He's never been the slickest passer of the ball, generally looks a bit clumsy and awkward on the ball, especially compared to players like Luiz and JT.

The back three just seems to magnify his weaknesses, playing out from the back is a big part of what we try to do and he doesn't seem comfortable doing it.

Personally I think Ake will be ahead of him because not only is he a lot more comfortable in possession, no doubt having played as a defensive midfielder before has helped but also his versatility of being able to play in defence, wing back and midfield makes him a good asset. 

No question Zouma is a very talented young player but for me I'm not sure he has the attributes required to play in Conte's system. 

Agree. Still, he began to show a surprising range of passing toeards the end of the game. Maybe he has the passing talent and just needs some finetuning.

I think his passing is actually better than GCs. Of course, GC is better at every other aspect of defending at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Zouma is an interesting case. He needs to go on loan for two reasons. Firstly, he needs to get all that rust off and get some consistent game time, get a feel for regular football again. He's been out for so long, it's not a surprise he looks off the pace. Secondly, I'm not sure he fits the 343 schematic as it stands now. I have a feeling we won't forever play 343 to be honest - I might be completely wrong, we'll only know in the summer. However, as of right now, Ake and when he comes back, Christensen, are ahead of him in the pecking order. That's without mentioning Azpi as well. 

That leaves us next year with:

Luiz
Azpi
Christensen
Ake
Cahill

Which I'm quite comfortable with. Also don't forget Marcos Alonso can always fill in, which is why it's imperative we sign a top LWB. People might say 'injuries - need more bodies at CB' but the most important thing is for Zouma to get game time. Putting a recall clause in his loan would be smart in this case. If it ever gets so bad, we call him back in January, and he'll probably have loads of game time under his belt by then too so will be a lot sharper. 

• 4 weeks later...

2 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Any news on why he was subbed off? Thought he looked comfortable before the change, certainly no worse than the beyond average Matic.

Tactical change apparently. 

I think Conte thought we was getting overrun in the middle so bought Matic on to stop City being able to play through the middle. 

Guest Sindre

I wouldn't say comfortable. Everything dangerous came from his side.

It's really unfortunate but he just isn't very suited to a back three thats very possession oriented for me. Huge talent so i hope Conte can find a way to make him comfortable in it but i am not convinced. Just not the type.

Maybe he wasn't at his best against City, but it was his first start in the PL since his injury, one game will never rate him as a player. Just put yourself instead of him, after the operation, after all he passed and now after all this you're starting in one of the most important matches this season. 

More of games and we will get his best back, just matter of time. Big Zouma!

Would like to see him start again against Bournemouth if Moses isn't fit, just to give him a run out under less pressure, let Azpi play wingback and if it isn't working then we can change it up again, but I would like to see zouma get a run. 

Was always going to be rusty...but looked like he's lost a yard of pace...fact Conte said change at half time was tactical is significant too...don't want to write him off, but thought his display showed why Conte hasn't been playing him all these weeks

3 hours ago, RMCM said:

Would like to see him start again against Bournemouth if Moses isn't fit, just to give him a run out under less pressure, let Azpi play wingback and if it isn't working then we can change it up again, but I would like to see zouma get a run. 

With what we have to give up offensively to play him Id rather not. This isnt the time to try and force Zouma into the team, Id much rather play Pedro at wingback if Moses cant go. 

he wasn't bad but it is true that it isn't the most natural role for him and more importantly, it is the only position in the back three I think he could play and he's up against probably the best defender in the league.

if he goes out on loan then I reckon playing for a manager who uses a back three would be more important than staying in england.

3 hours ago, g3.7 said:

he wasn't bad but it is true that it isn't the most natural role for him and more importantly, it is the only position in the back three I think he could play and he's up against probably the best defender in the league.

if he goes out on loan then I reckon playing for a manager who uses a back three would be more important than staying in england.

Maybe gladbach would be an option.