Official: David Luiz to PSG

DawesRoad
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

The clue is in my user name but I heard today that David will sign for Barcelona and the money will be used to purchase Costa from Athletico Madrid to ensure we keep within the fair play rules.

Don't worry about Stim Dawsey my son. He thinks our curly haired jester is the reincarnation of Bobby Moore and Franz Beckenbauer.

If Jose isn't minded to use Dotty David regualrly in midfield, and it appears he isn't, then I'm all for the sale to get Costa. Anything that keeps Luiz out of our back four and potentially strengthens our front line is a win - win in my book.

I would be sad to see Luiz go. I don't particularly want to see him at centre back but he is handy cover to have if JT & Cahill are out. I do like him in midfield though and I also think that sides need characters like Luiz. He is the type of player who will up the tempo and make things happen when the team is struggling and has become an important part of the squad.

I would be sad to see Luiz go. I don't particularly want to see him at centre back but he is handy cover to have if JT & Cahill are out. I do like him in midfield though and I also think that sides need characters like Luiz. He is the type of player who will up the tempo and make things happen when the team is struggling and has become an important part of the squad.

Agreed. Luiz has impressed in big games playing as a holding midfielder, and it would be a shame to end the experiment at the end of the season.

However, in the age of FFP, financial pragmatism will win out in these situations. If we are to purchase Luke Shaw and a top striker (Costa, Cavani), then we will need £70million or so and in all likelihood will need to sell someone. At the moment, as someone who has been unreliable at the back and is not yet an established midfielder but is a wonderfully gifted footballer, Luiz would be the obvious candidate.

I would sell him.

The guy has got potential but I can't see him getting much game time or clearly not enough as he should be getting. We all know that he is full of quality, just needs to clean up in a lot of places in order to be come a really talented centre back but this is a complicated one.

If there is a chance we are getting Varane and personally I would believe it because Carlo isn't good with youngsters and probably would put him up for sale then I would definitely sell Luiz and grab him. Luiz is good rotation option for the midfield yes but his natural trade is centre back and he's not the type of person I like at the back when he only plays a few times. He is sloppy and even fails to do the simplest of tasks such as marking a player tightly, Luke De Jong and Anichebe for example when John Terry was out.

Would only sell for a good price and I mean something like 30 million and above but these days transfers like that happen often so it wouldn't surprise me if Barca went all out on this one, he is almost ideal for them.

I like Luiz in CM and i prefer him in there over Mikel, Like to see Luiz and Matic played together in midfield more often and see how it goes. We can sell Mikel if we need funds, Mikel can generate a good fee.Say we buy Shaw he can play LB while Azpi goes back to RB and Ivan rotates at CB with Cahill and Terry.

Although Luiz is great in CM, that is not his position and to halt a move to Barcelona where he will play in his natural position is a bit unfair. Business and footballing wise it is not the correct decision. He should be sold for the good of both parties.

The problem is as soon as he starts playing for Barcelona, he WILL become known as the best centre back in the world. He was born to play for them.

He's worth about £20m to us, about £50m to them. But £20m is what he'll go for and we'll come out of it looking like fools. Even though there's nothing else we can do.

Agreed. Luiz has impressed in big games playing as a holding midfielder, and it would be a shame to end the experiment at the end of the season.

However, in the age of FFP, financial pragmatism will win out in these situations. If we are to purchase Luke Shaw and a top striker (Costa, Cavani), then we will need £70million or so and in all likelihood will need to sell someone. At the moment, as someone who has been unreliable at the back and is not yet an established midfielder but is a wonderfully gifted footballer, Luiz would be the obvious candidate.

I agree it would make financial sense, however we don't need to sell anyone due to FFP reasons. £70m over 5/6 years is nothing to clubs like us. Over half of that will be regained in the new TV deals alone.

Guest RFC_CFC

No point keeping him if Jose won't play him much.

If Barca need a CB then I can see him going, we'd use the cash to bring in a striker and a left back. Means Ivan could play CB with Azpi at RB

The problem is as soon as he starts playing for Barcelona, he WILL become known as the best centre back in the world. He was born to play for them.

He's worth about £20m to us, about £50m to them. But £20m is what he'll go for and we'll come out of it looking like fools. Even though there's nothing else we can do.

The only way he will become known as the best centre back in the world is if he changes his name to David Best Centre Back in The World.

He won't suddenly learn how to hold his position or properly mark an opponent just by wearing a Barcelona shirt.

The only way he will become known as the best centre back in the world is if he changes his name to David Best Centre Back in The World.

He won't suddenly learn how to hold his position or properly mark an opponent just by wearing a Barcelona shirt.

He'll very rarely need to, more often than not he'll get to bomb forward and spray passes to all corners of the pitch. Barcelona are built on fluidity not solidity and he'll fit them like a glove.

Except that Luiz's attacking game is nowhere near as fluid or as solid as Barcelona would need it to be. He's just as speculative/rash in his passing as he is in defense. 

I really had hopes he could be a ball-playing defender alongside Cahill but he just hasn't evolved as a player since 2011.

Doubt he'll be regarded as the best centre back in the world as part of a team that average 66% possession. Barcelona centre backs are not tested defensively often enough to be regarded as the best, pure and simple. Christ, they don't even need to be centre backs - they've had Mascherano playing as a rushing sweeper for the best part of 3 years now while Pique holds. 

That said, David Luiz is exactly that kind of player: aggressive, constantly tries to nick the ball. Add his fairly decent passing ability/drive going forward and he pretty much is the perfect fit for the Barcelona model.

I'd be sad to see him go purely for the lol factor attached to him. The guy's just a naturally funny lad. He'd be a loss to team morale but if we get any bids over £25M I can't see us declining, and truth be told, he's not dependable enough for the system Mourinho's building.

He will probably leave, but not before we make a 10M+ profit. Barcalona isn't our best mate , why gift them a defender, or anything for that matter? As usual, Alves and Neymar will talk about ' Luiz is desperate to join us' for the next few months, however unless they pay up, we won't sell. It's not like he only has 12 months left on his contract.

Terry hasn't got many years left. Luiz is still a good replacement for him. However what I've noticed is how. Often he is injured.

I really don't think he is. Terry has been consistently excellent for Chelsea for over 10 years. Luiz has not shown the qualities that come close to matching Terry, i have seen enough of Luiz over the last 3 years to come to this conclusion. He doesn't contain, he get's beaten in the air too often, he struggles under intense pressure, he is sloppy with his passing, he is prone to making mistakes. The things he doesn't do are vital in what makes a defender great. It's been 3 years now since he signed and i haven't really seen much progression in him. It may sound harsh but that is how i feel. Mourinho builds from the back, he likes his defenders defending and so do i. Luiz's game doesn't suit Mourinho's style and i can only see this going one way and that is Luiz being sold.

Personally i would like to see Luiz in midfield because i think his best performances have come from there. He gives us needed aggression and keeps the opposition guessing. I also feel his passing style is more suited to that position. I don't think that he is in Mourinho's plans though, so like i said above, i can only see him leaving in the summer.