Diego Costa to Chelsea

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

From the reliable dimarzio

#diegocosta: @chelseafc is considering to pay the exit clause of €42M expected in his contract with @Atleti

11:32pm - 19 Mar 14

Chelsea appears ready pay the 42 million euro exit clause to acquire him. Atletico Madrid is considering Inter striker Icardi to replace, but they also have other options. But there is also another development with Icardi, an English fund with investors from Qatar is interested in owning his rights, something he we often see with Brazilian players.

Guest RFC_CFC

That's £35m.... That's cheap in today's market.

That's not cheap at all.

You are comparing that to Falcao and Cavanni deals which were more because they are far better players than Costa.

Including this guys wages hed want on top of that £35 million plus deal it would be a fortune.

I know theres not many other options but I feel that a big risk.

That's not cheap at all.

You are comparing that to Falcao and Cavanni deals which were more because they are far better players than Costa.

Including this guys wages hed want on top of that £35 million plus deal it would be a fortune.

I know theres not many other options but I feel that a big risk.

Got to disagree with you here, £35m for a tried and tested player like Costa is cheap.

Van Persie at 29 with a year left on his contract cost United £24m.

We would be buying a much younger player with potentially his best years ahead of him for just £10m more. 

Cavani and Falcao were £50m.

Higuain was £35m.

Anything in the £30m+ region is what we are going to have to pay if we want the best. 

Guest RFC_CFC

He isn't the best though IMO.

He is average compared to the Agueros, Suarez and other top strikers.

I have a feeling he would flop here and based on what I have seen he has limited ability as a footballer.

Guest RFC_CFC

Ideally Cavanni but as I have already said we are short on targets due to the top strikers being tied down or suffering bad injuries.

We might HAVE to go with Costa but if we do I suspect we will still be looking for another striker the summer after next....

He isn't the best though IMO.

He is average compared to the Agueros, Suarez and other top strikers.

I have a feeling he would flop here and based on what I have seen he has limited ability as a footballer.

Hes up there with Suarez and Aguero. Maybe not in terms of technique but hes more athletic than both of them.

Im confident hed be scoring 20+ league goals at chelsea

Guest RFC_CFC

Hope you are right but I don't think he's anything special at all.

It would be a Soldado type flop in England IMO.

Hope I'm wrong if he does come though

Diego Costa to us is worth £50m.

Physically built, skilful, absolute w**ker.

Him throwing himself around tirelessly up front while Hazard/Oscar/Willian create behind him, getting into opposition defenders' faces, sparking matches into life with either his ability or abrasiveness when things are going badly... He'll fit us like a glove. He doesn't quite have the panache of Cavani/Falcao but he has no weaknesses and that infectious never-say-die attitude that is so rare in younger players these days.

Got to disagree with you here, £35m for a tried and tested player like Costa is cheap.

He's hardly tried and tested. He's having his first good season and it's not even over. You'd be spending £35m on a player and hoping he's not a goalscoring flash in the pan. 

sign both Costa and Falcao? 

That'd be something, really something.

So much so that I cannot see it happening, at all.

We'd need to at least win the Premier League and use some of the revenue from that to even come close to recupperating the mammoth cost of those two combined. It would also almost certainly spell the end of Lukaku, which I'm not keen on.

He's hardly tried and tested. He's having his first good season and it's not even over. You'd be spending £35m on a player and hoping he's not a goalscoring flash in the pan. 

last season, 20 goals in 44 appearances as a second striker

season before that, 10 goals in 16 appearances for rayo

hardly a flash in the pan

I dislike when people claim a player is only having their first good season when they clearly don't ever watch the league that said player plays in. He's been racking up goals for a good amount of time, but this season has been his best. Don't judge players just because you've only heard about them recently. 

last season, 20 goals in 44 appearances as a second striker

season before that, 10 goals in 16 appearances for rayo

hardly a flash in the pan

Not to mention those 20 goals last season were playing in attacking midfield behind Falcao who is hardly a selfless provider