Vidahost - UK Web Hosting
Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

ForeverCarefree

The John Terry Appreciation Thread

2,185 posts in this topic

Which is particularly impressive for a defender who doesn't take penalties. Five more league goals and JT will be the highest scoring defender in PL history. He's currently behind David Unsworth (most of Unsworth's were penalties).

It makes me laugh when he gets pigeon-holed as an old-fashioned hard man centre half when he's also a very good footballer technically. A good tip-off is that you can't tell if he's right or left footed. He's equally accomplished with either and has an excellent range of passing.

He's a lesson for young players too. When he came through he had the World Cup-winning pair Leboeuf and Desailly in front of him, but he took the opportunity to learn from them and by the age of 22 he'd broken up that partnership

Importantly also is that he always speaks very highly of both, I've read interviews where he's said that Desailly would be constantly talking to him throughout matches regarding his positioning. 

Of Leboeuf he speaks of his distribution from the back (Frank was one of the first Premier League defenders to be an exceptionally good passer of the ball) and that he would work with him and try to emulate that style of ranged distribution. 

He always sounds like he was willing to listen and learn and also speaks very fondly of Dennis Wise and Desailly for teaching him what it means to be a good captain. 

His average score for the whole season so far is a 9. Absolutely on top of his game. Would be fun if he was asked about Rafa vs Jose.

If Eto'o keeps up with this form we have a backbone of Cech-Terry-Matic-Hazard-Eto'o this season. Average age..not very young.

The best leader and best, most consistent defender the premier league has had, and if anyone thinks they can argue the case for anyone else I'll out reason them. Likt him or not he is simply the best.

Edited by Barn
Backbiter and g3.7 like this

Slow news day: John Terry swims with dolphins while England teammates prepare for inevitable failure in Brazil

article-2636134-1E1A1BCF00000578-268_634

article-2636134-1E1A1C4600000578-131_634

article-2636134-1E1A1B7800000578-40_634x

article-2636134-1E1A1BA000000578-912_634

(the winter clothes bit was interesting though - seems like quite a good idea)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2636134/John-Terry-smiles-Florida-England-train-ahead-World-Cup-Portugal.html

How do the press get these pictures? They're official shots, unless Sea World (or whoever) has sold them.

Ploks!!!  You have brought a link from the Daily Mail into my house!  I thought better of you!!!  :happy001:

Lovely pictures though!

Slow news day: John Terry swims with dolphins while England teammates prepare for inevitable failure in Brazil

article-2636134-1E1A1BCF00000578-268_634

article-2636134-1E1A1C4600000578-131_634

article-2636134-1E1A1B7800000578-40_634x

article-2636134-1E1A1BA000000578-912_634

(the winter clothes bit was interesting though - seems like quite a good idea)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2636134/John-Terry-smiles-Florida-England-train-ahead-World-Cup-Portugal.html

I bet Wayne Bridge has kissed it first and all hell breaks loose.

Seriously. JT let us down once in the Camp Nou, but he is without a doubt one of our greatest ever players. Captain. Leader. Legend

Edited by AnIrishTrueBlue

Dolphin claims JT was caught riding another Dolphin moments earlier.

I bet Wayne Bridge has kissed it first and all hell breaks loose.

Seriously. JT let us down once in the Camp Nou, but he is without a doubt one of our greatest ever players. Captain. Leader. Legend

Although it could have turn out so different, as it did not, he let his self down more.

Yeah JT was stupid at the Nou Camp but ya know what he paid the price for it and missed the final. End of on that for me really, the great stuff he's done far outweighs the bad. What makes me laugh about that situation is people were having a go at him for it and we have no idea what Sanchez said to him etc not that it was justified but sometimes people can be wound up and ya know all that proves is that he's only human and sometimes emotions get the better of him. Opposing fans were the ones who mostly had a problem with that but that's just because they hate him anyway and refuse to say how good he is just because he's done some questionable things in his private life. End of the day he's the Premier Leagues greatest centre back of all time and I'd even say quite possibly Europe's in the past 10-15 years.

How do the press get these pictures? They're official shots, unless Sea World (or whoever) has sold them.

I was wondering that too, it looks like he's posing for them. Maybe he invited the press himself? (although I'm not sure why he would care)

Ploks!!!  You have brought a link from the Daily Mail into my house!  I thought better of you!!!   :happy001:

Lovely pictures though!

Sorry about that Moi - I included all the pictures in the post so no one would have to go through the horror and indignity of actually clicking the link.

moi likes this

There was a programme on TV a few years back about the Youth Team at Chelsea. Was when Graham Rix was in charge of the Youth Team. During the programme there was a clip of some young supporters having a kick-about outside the East Stand after a game. Whilst they were playing football, John Terry and Eidur Gudjohnsen came out and joined in with the kick-about. All credit to JT and Eidur for that. Must have made the kids' day.

Some help, please. I'm sure that there was a game during the mid to late nineties when JT came on the pitch at half-time to sign youth team forms. Is that correct or is my mind playing games?

We will not see another CB like him for us again in our lifetime IMO.

A true leader, a guy who goes in head first and worries about the results after the ball is cleared.

I love JT, I can't imagine us without him now (I was like that with Wise too), hope he stays for another season at least because he is sheer class.

He's won it all with Chelsea and will forever be an inspirational figure in this clubs history.

Captain, Leader, Legend.....and WINNER.

Great post, and just to add.............. mmm actually there's nothing to add, perfectly put fella  ::clap2::

There was a programme on TV a few years back about the Youth Team at Chelsea. Was when Graham Rix was in charge of the Youth Team. During the programme there was a clip of some young supporters having a kick-about outside the East Stand after a game. Whilst they were playing football, John Terry and Eidur Gudjohnsen came out and joined in with the kick-about. All credit to JT and Eidur for that. Must have made the kids' day.

Some help, please. I'm sure that there was a game during the mid to late nineties when JT came on the pitch at half-time to sign youth team forms. Is that correct or is my mind playing games?

Yes, there was a picture of him signing on the pitch.

I remember the TV documentary on the youth team (but don't remember JT featuring!). Jody Morris was the star of that side and Rix's blue-eyed boy, who the other apprentices seemed to resent a bit, as Rix kept holding him up as a model of how young players should conduct themselves. Which is a bit ironic, given how his career went a bit off the rails

Yes, there was a picture of him signing on the pitch.

I remember the TV documentary on the youth team (but don't remember JT featuring!). Jody Morris was the star of that side and Rix's blue-eyed boy, who the other apprentices seemed to resent a bit, as Rix kept holding him up as a model of how young players should conduct themselves. Which is a bit ironic, given how his career went a bit off the rails

Thanks for confirmation about him signing on the pitch. As for JT being in the programme, could be mixing it up with another programme. All the whisky over the years must be getting to me!

JT apparently could be going to the World Cup....

as an ITV pundit replacing Roy Keane... this is brilliant, for once we could have a CFC representative in the media 

I know its Daily Mail but still

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2647709/John-Terry-World-Cup-ITV-look-replacement-Roy-Keane.html

JT apparently could be going to the World Cup....

as an ITV pundit replacing Roy Keane... this is brilliant, for once we could have a CFC representative in the media

I know its Daily Mail but still

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2647709/John-Terry-World-Cup-ITV-look-replacement-Roy-Keane.html

Chiles will be a right cock to him

I honestly think he would turn down the offer.. I just don't see John sitting in a studio commenting on a team (well the FA) that's treated him so poorly... More trouble than it's worth for him, I dare say he'll just enjoy the time with his family instead. 

No way, he's far too knowledgeable and doesn't have a face like a sponge to be an ITV commentator.