Drogba or Essien???

BackInBlue
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Drogba or Essien  

31 members have voted

1. 1.

• Drogs
    • Bison

The question is easy. Who should be the player of the season???

The man who will score more than 30 goals this season and has single handedly carried us offensively.

OR

The guy who has given a new definition to the term versatile and wait.........not even whinged bout being played out of position almost all season long.

The choice is yours.

Neither of them. For me it's Hilario. His positioning and decision making reminds me of the quality we had back in the late 70's and early 80's.

Then again if forced to decide between Drogs and Bison I would actually go for the Bison. If he had been able to play in the middle all season my guess is we wouldn't even be having this debate because he would have stood out by a country mile.

I'm going with Bison for now. Drogs has scored alot of vital goals and I thank him for that. But Bison has been great in every game so far and Drogs hasn't. Also the thought of having Ferreira as central defender instead of Bison scares the sh*t out of me.

So it's a close call but I'd say 51% of me say Bison and 49% goes to Drogs.

Please stop having these polls. It's too difficult to chose between two amazing players who have saved us so far this season.

Gotta be Drogba for me. Its been a long time since we had someone have a goalscoring season like this and so for that alone he gets my nod.

Its a bit like Sophies Choice though really!

I voted Drogs. As good as Essien has been, we still have plenty of cover for him (albeit not as good). We couldn't have coped without Drogba this season - his goals or his defensive abilities.

I voted Drogs. As good as Essien has been, we still have plenty of cover for him (albeit not as good). We couldn't have coped without Drogba this season - his goals or his defensive abilities.

Understand what your saying Nibs, but the fact that we have plenty of cover for Essien and not as much for Drogba does not affect the ability or peformance only the importance of the player.

Understand what your saying Nibs, but the fact that we have plenty of cover for Essien and not as much for Drogba does not affect the ability or peformance only the importance of the player.

Yeah, I totally agree. Thing is, it is such a close thing between the two of them as both have been excellant, so I guess what I was trying to get at was who could we NOT have done without, that's why DD gets the nod for me.

I voted for Essien last time this thread was posted but I am now changing my plea to DD.

When voted Essien I was very torn between them and I went for Essien because I had a sneaking suspicion that Essien would maintain his form until the end of the season and Drogba wouldn't.

It would appear I was wrong.

First Chelsea player to get 30 in a season in a season since King Kerry - impossible not to give him the award.

I have reluctantly gone for Drogs.

I say reluctantly because I have really really been impressed with Essien, and would love to see him get it.

But, Drogs goals, and all round work rate and passion sway it for me.

There is plenty left in the season for me to still change my mind.

I think the third candidate should be Petr.

I think the third candidate should be Petr.

Personally i think Riccy deserves a mention too, but still is miles behind Drogba and Essien, both of whom should be up for PFA Player Of The Year - which as we all know the media have decided Ronaldo is going to win assuming the Worlds greatest ever defender 'Carra' doesnt pip him to it (based on one game against a half fit Eto'o and an overweight and mostly disinterested Ronaldinho)

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but I can't even think about comparing the importance of the two this season. The difference to me is just too great.

The answer, of course, is Drogba.

BTW: I also think that Carvalho is doing great so far.

Drogs goals have undoubtably made him the most important this season as without them we would be nowhere, I doubt we have another player who would have scored half of them.

with Essien I think he is massive for us but its far easier to see what Drogs adds in terms of goals than what Essien adds, Power Pace Commitment Versatility and even in defence assurance.

I think possibly money could buy someone to do what Drogs does but I am not sure another player like Ess exists.

just Drogs for me for the ammount of goals but Essien is in a class of his own.

lets hope we keep them both for the foreseable future.

One thing I'm not sure about when we talk about Essien is - is he a better midfielder or a defender?

He is powerful, is he creative? Is power better used defending of playmaking?

Does Chelsea have a playmaker?

If I said that Ballack was the only real playmaker in Chelsea would I get like 100 comments againts me? icon_lol.gif

Maybe that's the reason why he does not fit into the team? Is it me or does every Chelsea player have to fight for the ball? No playmaking?

Does Manchester Untd have something we don't have? Hmmm.

It's simple, all you have to do is ask yourself what the problem is.

PLAYMAKING AND CREATIVITY - something Chelsea is missing!

One thing I'm not sure about when we talk about Essien is - is he a better midfielder or a defender?

He is powerful, is he creative? Is power better used defending of playmaking?

Does Chelsea have a playmaker?

If I said that Ballack was the only real playmaker in Chelsea would I get like 100 comments againts me? icon_lol.gif

Maybe that's the reason why he does not fit into the team? Is it me or does every Chelsea player have to fight for the ball? No playmaking?

Does Manchester Untd have something we don't have? Hmmm.

It's simple, all you have to do is ask yourself what the problem is.

PLAYMAKING AND CREATIVITY - something Chelsea is missing!

Good point - but I don't think Ballack is the solution.

Believe me, I would be more than happy for Ballack to stroll about the way he does and for him not to make any tackles during a match, if he was a playmaker. But other than a couple of passes that spring to mind, most of his play seems to consist of passing it sideways or backwards.

However, both Mikel & Diarra have recently shown signs that they are good on the ball and can spot and execute a good pass, so hopefully we'll see both develop and that problem will be solved.

. But other than a couple of passes that spring to mind, most of his play seems to consist of passing it sideways or backwards.

Ray Wilkins carved a very successful career out of that!

Ballack has the talent, I don't beleive that should ever be in doubt. The question is whether we are using him in a way that will bring out his best performances and why we bought him in the first place if we weren't.

Dare I say it, alot of Chelsea's players aren't being played the way that would result in their best performances for the club.

I think Essien is just Unique. Drogba is amazing, not many teams are proud of having such a striker, if any, but Essien is just unique.

And we are just lucky to have them both. Awaiting moment when Essy will returns to midfield. That will be Chelsea.

"And Bloody God Magra will comes. And anyone who wouldn`t stay on knees would be destroyed. Be scared......."

I wonder why Eto`o was African second and Essien third?? Though answer is simple.......

had to give it to Drogs. He has pulled us out of some sticky situations, and he has scored some vital goals for us. The man is simply EVERYWHERE on the pitch, and he really has changed himself around.

Essien is such a close second though. His goal against le arse was tremendous, and the man has played more positions that RObert Fleck, without complaining once, and doing an infinitely better job

Scott

Does anyone know just how many game winning goals Drogs has scored so far this season? Have to be quite alot of them by now.

If he and Essien continue like this the rest of this year then I'm sure both will be in the top 2 spots of the African Player of the Year (third place to Mikel?).

And they will both be considered for Best Player in the World (and/or Europe).

I'm proud to have them with us.