Thibaut Courtois

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

33 minutes ago, Zeta said:

What the f**k is expected goals and who decides what that number is?

I don't know for sure but I 'expect' it to be things like one on ones and they probably calculate the speed of the shot and how far away it is from the keepers starting position, maybe how much it curls and how much of the player/ball the keeper can see before it was hit.

Basically expected goals prevented I imagine are stopping one on ones and saves that make you go 'How did he save that?'

It's basically a system of analysing how many goals you would 'expect' a team to score based on the chances they had over the course of a match. It will take each chance, and give it an xG value based on the position of the shot, how it was taken (right foot, left foot, head, etc.). Basically it's a stat-crunching way of measuring the quality of a team's shots.

Detailed methodology explained here: https://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2015/10/19/9295905/premier-league-projections-and-new-expected-goals

Example:

image.png.452d313c19c30a00624c406a13076183.png

5 hours ago, Argo said:

It weren't his fault because of his head injury but Cech was all over the place at the same age, 2008 and 2009 he was costing us a lot of goals with his indecision (for prime example watch the highlights of that 4-4 vs Liverpool where he was so erratic he could almost have passed of as a striker for Liverpool), it's easy to look back with nostalgia now and pretend it wasn't the case, but it was.

It's a shame Tibo's all round game is so underappreciated because he isn't pulling a Gordon Banks save from Pele mark 2 every week, control of your area and decision making from crosses and set pieces is much more important an attribute to have than being an amazing shotstopper, why? Because if you crack the former then you seriously limit the shots you have to face and the chances you concede. It's easy to look at a save made by De Gea, Oblak or wherever the grass is greener this week and say "Tibo wouldn't have saved that" when the real question that should arise is would Tibo have let the situation escalate that far in the first place? And more often than not, the answers no.

I am not really sure you understand the meaning of "underappreciated" if you cofuse Van Aanholt as "Pele MK2". That's besides the point though.

11 minutes ago, Orpington_Blue said:

I am not really sure you understand the meaning of "underappreciated" if you cofuse Van Aanholt as "Pele MK2". That's besides the point though.

When exactly did i call Van Aanholt Pele mark 2? I can't wait to hear this.

10 minutes ago, STATS said:

3 goals in the past 2 games where he has been beaten with low-driven shots. Ridiculous and this has been an ongoing trend. You put DDG in goal tonight and the score stays 0-0. That is the frank truth. The keeper has really let us down tonight.

Except for the liverpool semi in carling cup, has he ever even been confidence inspiring?

If we replaced him with say Butland, would we really be lacking?Except for his aerial presence, I fail to see what he brings to the table that is not EASILY replacable.

Edited by didierforever

1 hour ago, IliyaKrostin said:

The fault for the first goal, I also believe he could save the second as well. 

First goal was 100% his fault. No doubts about it. Second goal could go either way, better keepers than him have conceded those type of goals. It's tough. Third goal wasn't his fault, that's just standard goalkeeping. Even the almighty De Gea would have done the same. He had to stay big and you can't do that with your legs together. 

Wasn't his finest 90 mins though.

7 minutes ago, Remodez said:

First goal was 100% his fault. No doubts about it. Second goal could go either way, better keepers than him have conceded those type of goals. It's tough. Third goal wasn't his fault, that's just standard goalkeeping. Even the almighty De Gea would have done the same. He had to stay big and you can't do that with your legs together. 

Wasn't his finest 90 mins though.

That is when his reflexes should be called on though. As soon as Messi takes that shot, his reflexes should force him to quickly snap those legs back together to block the ball. This is what the very best goalkeepers are paid to do, if you can't do it now and again then you shouldn't be playing at this level.

20 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

That is when his reflexes should be called on though. As soon as Messi takes that shot, his reflexes should force him to quickly snap those legs back together to block the ball. This is what the very best goalkeepers are paid to do, if you can't do it now and again then you shouldn't be playing at this level.

He's done that in the past for us though which is why I'm not concerned. I just think it's an all-round great goal from Messi, doesn't matter who's in the net in that situation he's scoring regardless. 

Edited by Remodez