Diego "the guv'nor" Costa

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

12 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

I agree Morata has potential, but for me, and without wishing to offend anyone on here, he will never be as good as Costa was for us, I do hope I am proved wrong on that

No that's completely your opinion & that's fine with me, don't see how that can offend anyone and I'm a big Morata fan have been for a while. 

But surely you didn't rate Costa's link up play? I can't tell you how many times he ruined counter attacks, he looked like a Championship player compared to Hazard, Pedro & Willian whenever he linked up with them. 

21 minutes ago, Slojo said:

No that's completely your opinion & that's fine with me, don't see how that can offend anyone and I'm a big Morata fan have been for a while. 

But surely you didn't rate Costa's link up play? I can't tell you how many times he ruined counter attacks, he looked like a Championship player compared to Hazard, Pedro & Willian whenever he linked up with them. 

Fair comment, I just think Morata lacks the killer instinct Costa has, Morata isn't one to terrorize defences as Costa did, in my opinion.

25 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Fair comment, I just think Morata lacks the killer instinct Costa has, Morata isn't one to terrorize defences as Costa did, in my opinion.

Two different styles of players tbh. One is more of a physical player with limited heading ability, and the other has more skill, elegance and is great with their head. Both have to be watched carefully by the opposition.

I prefer Costa to Morata, you know Costa will be fighting the whole 90 mins and his great desire to wreck havoc on defenders, being a massive nuisance.

Morata is more like a silent assassin, he’s quiet for long periods of the game then bang he scores.

Costa is more entertaining to watch but Morata can be just as effective. I think he needs to toughen up and stand his ground against defenders abit like Costa did.

9He was a good effective player for us. Will miss him. Hated his antics, loved the man and deep down he's got a good heart.

It's not obvious because he never truly settled in the UK and gave his heart to the country. But he showed that heart every time he stepped on the pitch and bruised opponents for the shirt, for his team mates, for the fans, for his club.

No surprise why he is very well regarded amongst his team mates. 

We need a bruiser in the team, we have always had at least one  and hence we have held our own. Hope one of the ones left can take up that role. I see Baka as a good candidate.

When Diego was up for it he was unplayable. However, from my point of view, I was always worried about which Diego would be on the pitch. You could normally tell after 5 - 10 mins. You either got a fully focused Diego, and a match winner, or you got the Diego that wanted to fight the world, and in that case he was a passenger, and you worried about his concentration and if he was going to get sent off.

I appreciate what he has done for Chelsea, but in my opinion, I believe he only showed interest for a collective one and half seasons out of the three he was here. Wish him all the best, now time to move on.

Greatful for all that Diego done for us, helped to fire us to two league titles in three seasons, that's a very good return on our £30m odd investment.

I liked his combative style, it did get to me the rolling around and when he stepped over the line as well, but a terrific striker to watch when he was firing, he was a goal scoring machine on form.

All that said, good riddance to him, no name on the back is bigger than the badge on the front. The club will always come first and he was an absolute PR nightmare for the club, the constant angling for a move every transfer window was frustrating as well, never seemed to really want to be here and then threw his toys out the pram when he was told he could do.

It's ended horribly and it does leave a bit of a bitter taste the way he's behaved for me personally. On the plus side we have made a huge profit, got two league titles and probably his best years out of him. The club have done brilliantly to get what they have for him. 

I have my reservations if we'll see the same Costa again after an 8 month odd lay off with no gametime. 

I wish him the best unless he faces us but thank f**k that's over.

Just now, Strider6003 said:

Everton offered £75m for him, according to this

http://www.football365.com/news/everton-were-unsuccessful-in-e75m-summer-bid-for-costa

That might explain why AM were surprisingly willing to pay over £50m.

In view of Everton's results so far, they certainly could use a good striker :rolleyes:

If London didn't agree with Costa, imagine how he would feel in Liverpool :biggrin:

On 9/23/2017 at 14:44, EdinburghBlue said:

Greatful for all that Diego done for us, helped to fire us to two league titles in three seasons, that's a very good return on our £30m odd investment.

I liked his combative style, it did get to me the rolling around and when he stepped over the line as well, but a terrific striker to watch when he was firing, he was a goal scoring machine on form.

All that said, good riddance to him, no name on the back is bigger than the badge on the front. The club will always come first and he was an absolute PR nightmare for the club, the constant angling for a move every transfer window was frustrating as well, never seemed to really want to be here and then threw his toys out the pram when he was told he could do.

It's ended horribly and it does leave a bit of a bitter taste the way he's behaved for me personally. On the plus side we have made a huge profit, got two league titles and probably his best years out of him. The club have done brilliantly to get what they have for him. 

I have my reservations if we'll see the same Costa again after an 8 month odd lay off with no gametime. 

I wish him the best unless he faces us but thank f**k that's over.

Brilliant post.. Especially love the ''no name on the back is bigger than the badge on the front'' Spot on.
He'll never hold a place in my heart like many that have gone before him, can't be doing with anyone that is always blabbing on about wanting to leave !!

29 minutes ago, chelseablueboy said:

Brilliant post.. Especially love the ''no name on the back is bigger than the badge on the front'' Spot on.
He'll never hold a place in my heart like many that have gone before him, can't be doing with anyone that is always blabbing on about wanting to leave !!

Been playing connect the dots from what's been in the media last week. It may be that Simeone had a hand in him never truly settling here even with all the Brazilians and Spaniards in the squad.

Most managers when they lose their prized possession, they give the player their blessings and move on. With Simeone he always made it clear that he wanted Costa back from the day he got sold to us. The dirty git.

Should have kept him in the first place rather than sell and have the player unsettled throughout the whole period at his new club.

Since Costa joined us, I have never liked him probably because of his troubles on the field but pertaining to how clinical he is, I will put him among my top 5 strikers in the world. I use to think am fed up with all his troubles and I won't give a f**k any day we eventually sell him. But honestly I have a sort of weird negative feeling I can't really explain maybe sympathetic feeling knowing that I won't ever see him again play for us.
Thanks for the fights that won us games Diego!
We will certainly find it difficult to replace him. I don't think Morata will ever be as clinical and consistent Costa was for us. But just like Torres, Morata will score some important goals for us. I hope he prove me wrong.

1 hour ago, wallosh said:

Since Costa joined us, I have never liked him probably because of his troubles on the field but pertaining to how clinical he is, I will put him among my top 5 strikers in the world. I use to think am fed up with all his troubles and I won't give a f**k any day we eventually sell him. But honestly I have a sort of weird negative feeling I can't really explain maybe sympathetic feeling knowing that I won't ever see him again play for us.
Thanks for the fights that won us games Diego!
We will certainly find it difficult to replace him. I don't think Morata will ever be as clinical and consistent Costa was for us. But just like Torres, Morata will score some important goals for us. I hope he prove me wrong.

Morata will be more clinical, plus he'll probably play the whole season rather than the first part of it like Diego did in 14/15 and 16/17. Let's not forget the awful 15/16 season to!

Edited by Malcolm9

Grateful for what he did for us, but his behaviour this year has been disgraceful. At this point I'm just glad he's gone. Also very glad Morata has started so well, so we don't have to listen to as much crap from commentators rehashing the whole thing every 2 minutes.

On 25 September 2017 at 19:40, abister1 said:

Been playing connect the dots from what's been in the media last week. It may be that Simeone had a hand in him never truly settling here even with all the Brazilians and Spaniards in the squad.

Most managers when they lose their prized possession, they give the player their blessings and move on. With Simeone he always made it clear that he wanted Costa back from the day he got sold to us. The dirty git.

Should have kept him in the first place rather than sell and have the player unsettled throughout the whole period at his new club.

Yes I sussed that out some time ago....when Simeone came over to London in December last year.....he blatantly tapped him up during dinner with Costa and his agent back then.........everyone knows Simeone is a very slippery sly c*nt ......