Charlie Colkett - not Josh Mcechran v 2.0

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

• 2 months later...

It seems that Josh is on the verge of signing for Brentford.

I expect a similar scenario for Colkett + a few others in 2 or 3 seasons time.

Yep. Be staggered if Colkett kicks a ball for the first team, at least for more than 20 mins anyway. Him and plenty of others.

It's not what people want to hear and certainly not what I want but it's an educated prediction based on some pretty indisputable evidence.

Edited by bjd

Yep. Be staggered if Colkett kicks a ball for the first team, at least for more than 20 mins anyway. Him and plenty of others.

It's not what people want to hear and certainly not what I want but it's an educated prediction based on some pretty indisputable evidence.

yep, just farming them through and out.  Make a bit of profit and have a few sniff around the first team to give glimmers of hope.

Without trying to sound completely pessimistic here, though; what would be a definition of success for our Academy?  I'm sure that there is a certain level of success seeing some of our youth move on to other premiership teams, or top leagues throughout Europe.  At least they are forming careers out of training they received from us.  In actual Chelsea terms though, is it a youth team once per generation, once every 5 years?  Currently, we only have Terry....so is the aim to have someone for when Terry is done?  If so, is that "success?"

• 2 weeks later...

Think he has the talent and potential to eventually replace Fabregas in the deep-lying playmaker role. Excellent passer with wonderful vision and is much more combative than his frame would suggest. Think his major obstacle will be his lack of size and supreme athleticism, and whether Mourinho overlooks that, as he did for Fabregas & Ozil, for an unproven player.

yep, impressed by him when he had those cameo appearances during the end of season games in australia; did not put a foot wrong in those games. It would be great for our academy to produce 2-3 young english players to break into the first team squad.

• 9 months later...

So he has finally signed a 3-year extension to his contract which was ending this summer. For sometime I was worried that we will lose him to one of our rivals this summer.

Despite not being the most talented player in our youth ranks, he is surely one with the drive and attitude to make it big. No drama like the belgians and no laziness like the other english ones.

Very very good work by the club in convincing him to stay.

So he has finally signed a 3-year extension to his contract which was ending this summer. For sometime I was worried that we will lose him to one of our rivals this summer.

Despite not being the most talented player in our youth ranks, he is surely one with the drive and attitude to make it big. No drama like the belgians and no laziness like the other english ones.

Very very good work by the club in convincing him to stay.

He reminds me of lampard in attitude, work as hard as possible to extract the maximum of his talent and work hard on any weaknesses. Great news hes signed a contract.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...