Axel Witsel

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I think if we do sign him, it will be a direct response to the manner in which were eliminated from the champions league. We really struggled to win the midfield against psg, even when we were a man up. Matic, and witsel would be a powerful midfield in the big games. If he comes for under 25m it would be an absolute steal.

I've never really seen him play. Is he a similar player to Matic? What are his strengths and weaknesses?

He's a mix of matic and fabregas. Really strong defensively and is a good playmaker. Doesn't make as many incisive passes as fabregas does, but he is quicker and is a better dribbler than both.

He would be able to play in the pivot with either fabregas or matic, or he could play in a midfield 3 with both.

Would be a fantastic signing imo.

The problem i have with Witsel is that instead of moving a step up from Benfica, he went and picked Zenit. Not many players make it after making a move like that. I don't think he is that great to be honest and we could find better for a cheaper price i think.

Witsel is a good player no doubt.  He could be world class.

As someone that saw him play for Benfica week in week out i can say he was great while with us.

However, ask Benfica fans and 90% will tell you that they prefer Enzo Perez to Witsel.  Both players play a similar position.

The thing with Witsel is he has all the tools to be a super player but he lacks the one thing that fans love.

In Portugal we call it Raça.  It's a combination of drive, passion, workrate and never say die attitude.  Perez has this in abundance and we loved him for it.

This is the one thing that i believe Witsel lacks.  Maybe Jose can bring this out of him, i don't know.  I will tell you that a midfield of Matic and Witsel is pretty formidable.

Maybe Remodez as a Porto fan could give a bit more insight into this, i'd love to hear an opposing fan's view.

For 25 million i think it would be a good deal.

Witsel is a good player no doubt.  He could be world class.

As someone that saw him play for Benfica week in week out i can say he was great while with us.

However, ask Benfica fans and 90% will tell you that they prefer Enzo Perez to Witsel.  Both players play a similar position.

The thing with Witsel is he has all the tools to be a super player but he lacks the one thing that fans love.

In Portugal we call it Raça.  It's a combination of drive, passion, workrate and never say die attitude.  Perez has this in abundance and we loved him for it.

This is the one thing that i believe Witsel lacks.  Maybe Jose can bring this out of him, i don't know.  I will tell you that a midfield of Matic and Witsel is pretty formidable.

Maybe Remodez as a Porto fan could give a bit more insight into this, i'd love to hear an opposing fan's view.

For 25 million i think it would be a good deal.

So he's Mikel.

Sorry to say it but we need some dirty players all the top European teams have them, psg were more streetwise than us and look what happened

Excellent point.

I'd class Vidal as dirty, obviously barca have Suarez etc etc

Need someone who isn't afraid to put the boot in, and mourinho does love imposing figures at the core of his team. Id be all for this

Holy sh*t this still gets trotted out. Amazing

Yeah, it does. Mikel frustrates me as he only seems to pass sideways or backwards. I'm not looking to turn this into another Mikel bashing thread but this is my opinion. If you disagree then feel free to offer your opinion. I'm just stating that Witsel would be an upgrade on Mikel in my opinion

Edited by AndyBlue82

Witsel is class, everytime I see him play he imposes himself on the game works very hard and as I've read I think a 3 in midfield matic, witsel and fabregas in front of them would be a formidable trio. Fabregas imo doesn't work next to matic in the bigger games as he is crowded out doesn't have as much time on the ball as he'd like.

Edited by Chelsea190512

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2015/07/15/13599462/galliani-ac-milan-will-wait-for-ibra-but-witsel-pursuit-is

Meanwhile, Galliani revealed that Milan have ended their interest in Zenit ace Axel Witsel as he believes that they are now well stocked in midfield

“No [we won’t sign Witsel], that’s enough now," he added. "The only objective left is a central defender.”

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/chelsea-owner-roman-abramovich-travelling-to-zenit-st-petersburg-to-negotiate-axel-witsel-deal-rtbf/

Belgian’s Zenit St. Petersburg midfielder Axel Witsel is a new Chelsea target, according to reliable Belgian media outlet RTBF.

They report that Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has travelled to St. Petersburg in order to negotiate a deal for the 26 year old star.

Edited by abramovich