Welcome Asmir Begovic

Bobbywoodhogan
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

9 hours ago, KrazyTea said:

It's funny that apparentl Begovic "wants to leave for first-team football." I have some trouble believing this statement, I'm not sure what he was expecting when he signed for Chelsea in the first place!

One or two season's on the bench for a bigger wage and experience of being at a big club then went back to first team football?

5 hours ago, bola said:

ditto.. should have at least wait till the summer to pick up his epl medal or maybe trophy/medal don't actually matter that much for players??

If we win the league he is unlikely to feature until the title is sown up, i doubt he's too fussed about being part of celebrations that he had no part in making happen.

3 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Supposedly any deal for Gordon has broken down so Begovic likely to remain at Chelsea until at least the end of the season. 

I'm glad he's staying. I wasn't too keen on having Gordon as our second choice keeper.

Honestly I think we should be trying to keep Begovic, we aren't going to get another backup keeper of his quality, I think he gets harshly criticised because he's not as good as Courtois/ Cech when they were our two options, but he's a very solid keeper in my opinion, much moreso than most teams have as a second choice. 

On February 1, 2017 at 11:52, RMCM said:

Honestly I think we should be trying to keep Begovic, we aren't going to get another backup keeper of his quality, I think he gets harshly criticised because he's not as good as Courtois/ Cech when they were our two options, but he's a very solid keeper in my opinion, much moreso than most teams have as a second choice. 

He doesn't get criticised for that, anyone with a brain cell knows having a keeper like Cech on the bench was a one off privilege. I think were the criticism  (if you can call it that) comes from is some people thought he was good enough to take the # 1 spot from Courtois, which he clearly isn't.

As a #2 you are right he's the best we can get, maybe if Antonio guarantees him all domestic cup games and CL group stage games next season (which we will have barring a disaster) we might just might convince him to stay, that's the chance of 3 medals at the end of the day.

Edited by Argo

12 hours ago, Argo said:

He doesn't get criticised for that, anyone with a brain cell knows having a keeper like Cech on the bench was a one off privilege. I think were the criticism  (if you can call it that) comes from is some people thought he was good enough to take the # 1 spot from Courtois, which he clearly isn't.

As a #2 you are right he's the best we can get, maybe if Antonio guarantees him all domestic cup games and CL group stage games next season (which we will have barring a disaster) we might just might convince him to stay, that's the chance of 3 medals at the end of the day.

I agree with you there, I don't think he was ever a threat to Courtois, but he was one of the best keepers in the league at stoke, I suppose the lack of game time would affect his confidence/ make him a little rusty, but we need him in case Courtois were to suffer a bad injury, i'd be happy knowing we have a good quality backup keeper. I guess the decision will really lie with him though, whether he wants to play more often or pick up more medals

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...

Good luck to him, he came to us,did a job a done wants first team football which is fair enough. Good price for him, bigger challenge will be to attract a top class no 2 who is preferably home grown. Not an easy job but as we do pay our players well not insurmountable.

Lee Grant or Connor Ripley are two that spring to mind. Peter would be nice though of course.

Edited by charierre

Guest Sindre

According to SSN we have accepted a £10 million offer from Bournemouth.

He was really poor for us i think.

4 minutes ago, Sindre said:

According to SSN we have accepted a £10 million offer from Bournemouth.

He was really poor for us i think.

I think so too. He let in a lot of goals when he was deputising for Courtois. 

Edited by Blueblur

I was really pleased when we signed him - I didn't think we'd get someone so good as a second choice, but I was generally disappointed in him when he played for us. 

A transfer fee in double figures is decent business, hopefully we have an adequate replacement lined up.

3 hours ago, charierre said:

Good luck to him, he came to us,did a job a done wants first team football which is fair enough. Good price for him, bigger challenge will be to attract a top class no 2 who is preferably home grown. Not an easy job but as we do pay our players well not insurmountable.

Lee Grant or Connor Ripley are two that spring to mind. Peter would be nice though of course.

Jack Butland or Jordan Pickford hopefully but that's probably too much to ask (if he stays fit I think Butland will be England's #1 at next summer's WC)

Tim Krul is homegrown but as it's a WC year he may have doubts.

Just hope we don't sign another Ross Turnbull.

Edited by the special one

Tim Krul has been absolutely horrific and all the AZ fans want him out. I don't want a situation where we're biting the entirety of our nails every time the ball enters the GK area a la Ross Turnbull and we'd get that if we signed Krul.

Ruddy who was released by Norwich because of wages would be good, as would an attempt at somebody like Stockdale. 

Edited by MANoWAR

51 minutes ago, the special one said:

Jack Butland or Jordan Pickford hopefully but that's probably too much to ask (if he stays fit I think Butland will be England's #1 at next summer's WC)

Tim Krul is homegrown but as it's a WC year he may have doubts.

Just hope we don't sign another Ross Turnbull.

I think Pickford will be the number 1 in a years' time. I think he is absolutely quality and would walk into Everton's first team. 

Forget HG, we can sort that out in other area's. Any HG keeper around is either not good enough even for back up or too good/expensive to be one. Rumours we are after Muslera, have doubts he will accept that role but if he did that would be incredible. Courtois, Muslera and Eduardo would be the strongest trio of keeper's we and probably English footy have ever had. A bonafide world class number 1, a number 2 good enough to be number 1 and a number 3 good enough to be number 2, would be almost to good to be true.

Here's one totally from left field. Valdes has been let go by Middlesbrough. Seems to be preparedto sit on the bench and has it seem accepted not be guaranteed as number 1 at both Man Utd and Borough very experienced at the top level

Edited by terraloon