Matt Miazga

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

we are searching for the next JT. At the moment it doesn't look like Zouma or Cahill; Christensen? - who knows. Miazga? we might as well try him - but the key to this is giving this young players a chance in the first team.

I'm sorry but the youths are right. If we have kids joining at 9, we can expect they'll give to Chelsea all they've got. And the likes of Miazga who we don't know if they are good or not, as with the Chelsea youth, and we give them preference? I just don't get it. Now that the deal is done, I hope he becomes the future JT, but I doubt it if only for the love to this club.

The sad thing is that this signing will have no impact on Clarke-Salter's chances aren't harmed at all by this as he had no chance anyway. And ironically Miazga equally has no chance. It's player farming plain and simple.

I wonder if we'll follow this signing by tempting Vidic out of retirement and offering him a 4 year contract.

I can see why the youth players reacted in that way, I'd be frustrated if I was a youth player at this club, with no chances on the horizon for most of them any time soon and the sad thing is we're about a season away from a probable full foreign eleven..depressing. Miazga has potential and I'm actually pleased to see the MLS grow, but a lot of young players we sign get sold on for profit, same will happen with Hector.

Miazga has potential and I'm actually pleased to see the MLS grow, but a lot of young players we sign get sold on for profit, same will happen with Hector.

IMHO if Young Matt can get to the level of where Ryan Bertrand or Jack Cork are at, then I will be happy. True, they didn't make it at CFC, but I would consider both of those players decent enough EPL players. That would be a bonus for the US Nats in the future.

clark salter doesn't come across as a stand out in the academy. even when he played with us on tour pre season he didn't look that good. not every youth player will be good enough, otherwise we'd have a whole new first team on our hands. 

I suspect apart from the occasional non used, sub appearance Matt will then be sent out on loan ... never to be seen again in a Chelsea first team shirt ... maintaining the depressing reality of our never take a risk, youth potential policy ...

clark salter doesn't come across as a stand out in the academy. even when he played with us on tour pre season he didn't look that good. not every youth player will be good enough, otherwise we'd have a whole new first team on our hands.

He's barely 18( toured at17),in a position were strength,height and experience really matters. Far too early to write him off,you are though correcting saying that al won't make it to the top.

I hope he gets a game and good luck to him. But joking apart, I can't help thinking the suits only signed him because its based purely as a business decision.......

He's obviously a good prospect, and gives us an opportunity to sell more merchandise in the USA and also an opportunity to shine him up with a year on loan somewhere, with the ultimate aim to market him with glossy Chelsea fc wrapper, and in year 2, sell him for a nice profit.

That I'm afraid is how our club is being run.

I think this is a pure business decision. 

1) To increase the awareness of the club in the U.S. 

2) The club likely has convinced itself that they can groom him and sell him on. I agree with all the comments about our youth academy, but from a business perspective it makes sense I guess. I think he will be loaned out, and three things can happen I reckon. 

1) Loan him out and sell him on at a profit if he turns out to be quality, but not good enough for us. 

2) Loan him out and sell him at a loss if he turns out to be a fluke. 

3) Loan him out; he flourishes and we cash in our real option and bring him back into the first team squad. 

Even if it ends up being 2), the net loss will be minimal. 

The key risk, as many has pointed is indeed that our youth players lose motivation and leave because they feel they will never get the chance. But then again, PART of the reason to have a good youth academy from the club's point of view is exactly to have players to loan out, and then hope to sell them at a profit or re-integrated them. It's actually just balance sheet management in the end, like it or not. 

Of course, I hope he does well in the first team from the get go, but I struggle to see how that can happen.

I think this is a pure business decision. 

1) To increase the awareness of the club in the U.S. 

2) The club likely has convinced itself that they can groom him and sell him on. I agree with all the comments about our youth academy, but from a business perspective it makes sense I guess. I think he will be loaned out, and three things can happen I reckon. 

1) Loan him out and sell him on at a profit if he turns out to be quality, but not good enough for us. 

2) Loan him out and sell him at a loss if he turns out to be a fluke. 

3) Loan him out; he flourishes and we cash in our real option and bring him back into the first team squad. 

Even if it ends up being 2), the net loss will be minimal. 

The key risk, as many has pointed is indeed that our youth players lose motivation and leave because they feel they will never get the chance. But then again, PART of the reason to have a good youth academy from the club's point of view is exactly to have players to loan out, and then hope to sell them at a profit or re-integrated them. It's actually just balance sheet management in the end, like it or not. 

Of course, I hope he does well in the first team from the get go, but I struggle to see how that can happen.

I agree with your most of your points there.

The lack of first team opportunities for the academy players though will eventually come back to bite us on the arse. If we are to continually to treat them like commodities, sooner or later the advice to a young up and coming player will be to give us a miss in favour of clubs were they might progress the careers quicker.

To me this is a great signing and makes a lot of sense, it does however(and gladly) in my eyes end our ambition of signing Stones.

We were in a position where we only had 4 players in the squad that could play CB; Terry(35), Cahill(30), Zouma(21) and Ivan(31).
3 of those players are heading towards the end of their careers, with Ivanovic primarily being a RB, which means we needed an extra defender who could provide cover in case of an injury crisis and also that we are very likely to need to ether bring in or promote another 3 CB's to the first team squad in the coming years. Personally I would prefer this transitioning period to be managed by slowly integrating in a few younger players through into the first team whilst transitioning the older players out of the side.

So to bring in a young defender who can currently provide squad cover (Djilobodji quality) and might have the potential to be a first team squad player is ideal for our current squad composition.

I also think the suits have been clever with how they have identified and dealt with this potential transitional problem.

We currently have been introducing a 21 year old powerhouse in Zouma who has now seemed to make a starting spot his own, gaining valuable playing time alongside one of the greatest CB's in history. Whilst also giving a very talented even younger ball playing CB in Christensen a fantastic loan opportunity (rather than being surplus to requirements in our squad) where he has been getting huge amounts of game time in a champions league quality side in one of the top leagues. Both players look like they should synergise perfectly together a look set to make a very good partnership in 2-3 seasons time when Cahill will no doubt be transitioned out of the side.

I also don't think it does overly impede our youngsters chances at making the first team squad (some would say it was minimal anyway) as every top squad needs at minimum 4 very good CB's.
So even if Miazga does fulfill his promised potential and proves to be a first team squad player, with both Ivan and Cahill needing to transitioned out of the squad in the coming season there is still a minimum of 1 squad space empty. 

The transfer also has extremely little risk financially, since there was only 6 months left on his contract, we picked him up at a very reduced price of only £3.5m (peanut for a club like us), and is therefore already worth more than what we bought him for.
It also has the massive financial bonus of an increased interest towards our club in the American market which will likely prove fruitful.

Is this gonna be a slam dunk signing? He's gonna be protecting our end zone by stopping headed goals and break up the plays. I hope he can drop back and punt to our enemies end zone to push it over the goal line

MURICA!