Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loz

Shed End 2016 Running Costs

Like multiple toilet runs after a prawn vindaloo the inevitability of hosting costs is once more knocking on our door like a politician in the run up to an election.

I have just paid our hosting fees and it has left us with the glorious amount of 1p left in the forum bank account (at least providing the assurance that we  aren't asking for excessive donations!).

We also have a new version of the forum software available now which we will probably need to upgrade to and that brings about compatibility issues with old moderations and skins.

So I guess what I am crassly building up to is a request for some donations so that we have the funds available when these things need to be paid for and also set aside for next year's hosting fees.

I have set up a new 2016 Running Costs target which you can see if you click on the Donate link at the top of the page.

Cheers

Loz

Like multiple toilet runs after a prawn vindaloo the inevitability of hosting costs is once more knocking on our door like a politician in the run up to an election.

I have just paid our hosting fees and it has left us with the glorious amount of 1p left in the forum bank account (at least providing the assurance that we  aren't asking for excessive donations!).

We also have a new version of the forum software available now which we will probably need to upgrade to and that brings about compatibility issues with old moderations and skins.

So I guess what I am crassly building up to is a request for some donations so that we have the funds available when these things need to be paid for and also set aside for next year's hosting fees.

I have set up a new 2016 Running Costs target which you can see if you click on the Donate link at the top of the page.

Cheers

Loz

Donation on the way. I can't be the only one, though, who dreads the software upgrade. This site runs so well that I am dubious that the new software will improve it, and - in my experience of other internet forums - the new software often lacks some of the features of the old version and makes the forum really slow. Hopefully this one will be seamless upgrade, but take your time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donation on the way. I can't be the only one, though, who dreads the software upgrade. This site runs so well that I am dubious that the new software will improve it, and - in my experience of other internet forums - the new software often lacks some of the features of the old version and makes the forum really slow. Hopefully this one will be seamless upgrade, but take your time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From a security point of view forum updates are a must time to time.

Would rather not purely because I get mobile payments for other things and I don't want to mix up forum donations with other stuff.

Just ask people to tag the payment so you know which is which.

So "forum" for payments to here and "whips, chains, nipple clamps" for your ahem...other business.

maybe we could have a box at bottom of text section next to 'post' or 'more reply options' taking the person to a paypal transfer section  ...  with a minimum of £1 per year to become a full member and gain access to areas like tickets??

maybe we could have a box at bottom of text section next to 'post' or 'more reply options' taking the person to a paypal transfer section  ...  with a minimum of £1 per year to become a full member and gain access to areas like tickets??

It already does take you to Paypal - I always pay by Paypal.

We are all full members of the Shed End - I don't understand what you mean.  Everyone who has made the required number of posts has access to all of the forum.  It's not a huge number of posts required.

Go to Donate, choose the amount you want to donate, then you will be sent to Paypal.

It already does take you to Paypal - I always pay by Paypal.

We are all full members of the Shed End - I don't understand what you mean.  Everyone who has made the required number of posts has access to all of the forum.  It's not a huge number of posts required.

Go to Donate, choose the amount you want to donate, then you will be sent to Paypal.

What Les means is that in future make full access dependent on donating at least £1 to the forum.  Unless you donate, you can't access all areas.  

What Les means is that in future make full access dependent on donating at least £1 to the forum.  Unless you donate, you can't access all areas.

The policy has always been that financial contributions are voluntary.

sorry, yea I didn't make it clear enough ....although in my beer brain it did seem clear....    ok try again...

As you say keep membership free,     however.... if people wish to gain access to certain sections of your choice then they need to be a paid up or errr  'premium' member??   i.e must make a donation of at least £1 per year, it's not a lot to ask and people are willing to spend that on the mag available at all the games...   I get swamped with people all wanting face value tickets so think how much they save considering the price from touts and other retail sites....

Therefore I would suggest that at the very least the ticket section needs a pay to view policy.... it could show titles but no content unless you cough up a donation.... 

any clearer.......