Andreas Christensen

T-val
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 hour ago, dkw said:

I expect cahill to stay as a squad player, unless he actively wants to leave. No idea what will happen to the other 2.

On Christensen, though its only one player it does show that if a young player is good enough he can get into our first team, but they need to be a special talent.

Agreed it’s terrific news that he’s extended his contract with us and no doubt has been financially rewarded for it as well which is good for him! 

Same as you, I reckon Cahill will stay, I think Zouma will too but I think Luiz will be off in the summer personally, not sure what kind of fiancial hit we’ll take on that but he was a massive part of our league winning season so not a big deal really.

In regard to that Ampadu has the potential to be another, I know he was bought technically and doesn’t play regularly but the fact that’s he’s 16, in the squad most weeks and rubbing shoulders with some of the best players in the world it just shows even if they’re young. They will get a look in, they just have to be exceptionally talented, which in all honesty is what you would expect at a top tier club. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hard to believe he's only 21. For me he's our best defender.
Azpi isn't as good without Christensen beside him and everything seems to fall apart defensivly when Andreas isn't available.

Potential to be the best CB in the world for many years.

Only thing thats holding him back is physically he is weak needs to work hard in the gym because right now he can get bullied by big target man if he does this then he will be one of the best young CB. 
He's 21, lot's of time to bulk up but he rarely gets bullied

12 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

He did last night

Think that's a bit unfair @yorkleyblue

Yes, Rondon did cause him some issues but I though he showed real composure and class last night, bearing in mind he was returning from injury. Bar the time he tried to be clever when he should have put the ball into Row Z, he was pretty outstanding. Don't think there are too many defenders about with his brain and who read the game as well and I don't mind him making the odd mistake as long as he learns from it.

Sorry, @Nibs, that came out wrong.  I totally agree with you and he is most definitely the future and, even now, one of the better centrebacks in the league.  He was getting pushed around a bit, and that was my point, that if even he could get bullied by Rondon, then throwing Ampadu into that would have been silly.  Cahill was a much better bet, given his experience, and he didn't get bullied at all. 

There's a time for youth to gain experience and learn their trade, and a time for old bruisers.  Last night wasn't a time for youth, in my opinion.

When JT came into the team as a young player, he came in alongside Marcel Desailly, so he had great experience next to him as he learnt the game and that was a major reason why he developed so well.

Christensen is coming in at 21 with basically the expectation of being our best defender. He's got Dave, but you can't really compare Dave to someone like Desailly in terms of experience or what you can learn from them. He could really use a much more experienced defender alongside him, to help guide him as he learns.

Don't even think it was his fault to be honest. It was just an all round team error so he shouldn't beat himself up about it. 

He was gesturing to Rudiger that he didn't want the pass back in the first place, Fabregas wasn't even looking when Christensen played the ball and Dave should have stood his ground instead of diving in. I can understand Dave diving in, I would have done the same myself but the other two mistakes leading up to the goal is just poor play. 

11 minutes ago, Remodez said:

Don't even think it was his fault to be honest. It was just an all round team error so he shouldn't beat himself up about it. 

He was gesturing to Rudiger that he didn't want the pass back in the first place, Fabregas wasn't even looking when Christensen played the ball and Dave should have stood his ground instead of diving in. I can understand Dave diving in, I would have done the same myself but the other two mistakes leading up to the goal is just poor play. 

Imho if a simple pass isn't on Christensen should have just hoofed it up the pitch so the team could regroup and defend facing the ball. Fabregas probably wasn't looking because he didn't expect such a naive mistake.

Edited by the special one

5 minutes ago, the special one said:

Imho if a simple pass isn't on should have just hoofed it up the pitch so the team could regroup and defend facing the ball. Fabregas probably wasn't looking because he didn't expect such a naive mistake from Christensen.

It was a simple pass though.

I'm no body reading expert but judging from Christensen's body language and hand gestures he wanted Rudiger to simply turn around and pass it to Fabregas who at the time was looking and waiting for the pass, Fabgregas even makes a slight movement to Rudiger anticipating the pass. He doesn't and plays it back to Christensen who then does what Rudiger should have done in the first place but unfortunately in that split second Fabregas was looking side to side and didn't react in time. 

Fantastic performance from him, marshalling the defence against probably the best attack in the world, despite only being 21 years old. What a future this lad has.

I know he made a fatal mistake, but it happens to the best of us at times. Cahill did it a few times despite all the experience. I wouldn’t swap Christensen for anyone.

4 minutes ago, Remodez said:

It was a simple pass though.

I'm no body reading expert but judging from Christensen's body language and hand gestures he wanted Rudiger to simply turn around and pass it to Fabregas who at the time was looking and waiting for the pass, Fabgregas even makes a slight movement to Rudiger anticipating the pass. He doesn't and plays it back to Christensen who then does what Rudiger should have done in the first place but unfortunately in that split second Fabregas was looking side to side and didn't react in time. 

But why risk it in the first place? As a defender you simply don't hit square passes across goal unless you know for sure where the ball is going. Christensen didn't have control of the situation so for me it's on him unfortunately.

It was certainly a Christensen error.  Anyone denying the pass was bad would absolutely be killing Cahill right now.  It's OK to say Christensen made a mistake.  Certainly not the only mistake, but absolutely the biggest error of the bunch during that span of time.  

He will learn from it and he answered the media like a champion: I will not dwell on it and I will grow from this.  For what it is worth he played an absolutely dynamite game defensively just like he has all season.  He is club bred and a future captain if he continues his path...

Huge test of the young lads character coming up now as we play both Manchester clubs away before Barca away in a few weeks.

I suspect it wont affect him at all and he'll learn from it.

Part of the problem and everyone as guilty of it is that Barca were closing down the channels to pass it into, thats how they pressed us, the only space for us was an aimless long punt to Hazard or a quick switch to the opposite flank, 99% of the time those square balls arent punised but with Messi and Iniesta on the pitch its a different story.

Christensen and Azp were outstanding last night and I'm willing to bet he'll learn from that and become a better player,  we played the perfect game plan for roughly 93.50 mins of the 94mins of the game I've every faith in us doing the same in the Camp Nou and Christensen will pocket Suarez again.

16 hours ago, Famous CFC said:

Just imagine if Andreas had the skills on the ball that JT had. Holy smoke. That guy would be a machine. 

Lesson learned. Next time, Andreas, just clear it. 

He doesn't have the long range passing ability of Terry (as of yet) but other than that he is very comfortable on the ball and you seem him often, when the time is right take the occasional dribble with the ball and play a pass. Has good acceleration with the ball too.