Vidahost - UK Web Hosting
Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

JMaher94

Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

3,910 posts in this topic

Yeah I think Fabregas is meaning Hazard needs to have more of a killer instinct rather than purely being "selfish". 

6 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

imo Hazard doesn't need to change his ways, he's already bloody amazing.

I can see what Fabregas is trying to say but Hazard isn't that sort of player.

Depends if he actually wants to be one of the best in the world or not. He's very good, but he tends to drift in and out of games a lot. He'll have a great first half and then disappear in the 2nd, or have a great 20 minutes, then fade. The very best players will dominate a whole game.

ntonio Conte would consider winning the Premier League title this season with Chelsea as the greatest achievement of his managerial career to date, with the feat carrying greater weight in the context of the lavish sums spent by both Manchester clubs last summer.

While City and United prepare for the derby at the Etihad Stadium on Thursday with Champions League qualification their priority, Chelsea can move seven points clear at the top of the Premier League with victory against Southampton on Tuesday at Stamford Bridge. Re-establishing that imposing lead would potentially inflict further psychological damage on second-placed Tottenham Hotspur, whom they beat in the FA Cup semi-final on Saturday.

“For sure, it would be my greatest achievement,” said Conte, who claimed three Serie A titles with Juventus and took Italy to the Euro 2016 quarter-finals. “Now, to win the title in England is a great achievement. A top achievement for the coach, the players and the club.

“To win in England these days is not easy. To win this league is difficult, so we must be proud in our work. We must know that, now, it’s a good season. It will remain a good season. But we want it to become a great season, a fantastic season. To become a great or fantastic season there is only one way: to win [the title]. This is a crucial week for us.”

Conte had inherited a side who had finished 10th last season, their worst placing under Roman Abramovich’s ownership, with that actually representative of a recovery under the interim stewardship of Guus Hiddink after the unravelling of José Mourinho’s second spell in charge over the first half of the campaign.

The Italian added David Luiz, N’Golo Kante – whom Conte described as “a silent leader” in the dressing room – Marcos Alonso and the under-used Michy Batshuayi to the ranks for around £100m over the summer, a significant outlay eclipsed by the £150m spent by United and £165m by City in the transfer window.

“This season it’s very important to understand it’s not always about who spends more money who wins,” said Conte, who should have his captain, Gary Cahill, fit after illness and will recall Diego Costa and Eden Hazard against Southampton. “Otherwise, in this league, this season the name of the [title-winning] team wouldn’t be Chelsea or Tottenham or Arsenal or Liverpool. You understand?”

Asked if he anticipated the Manchester clubs spending as excessively again over the summer ahead, he said: “Yes, like every year. You’ve seen the past. You can see that every season they spend a lot of money. But it’s right for every team to do what they think is best. Every single club decides their own strategy. But this season isn’t the only season the Manchester clubs have spent a lot of money. Look at the past. It’s normal. It’s right for them to do this, to reinforce their teams, if they think this is the right way to win the title.”

The Italian has already discussed Chelsea’s plans for the summer with the director, Marina Granovskaia, and the technical director, Michael Emenalo, with the leaders hoping to strengthen significantly themselves before their return to the Champions League next season. The likes of Alexis Sánchez, Romelu Lukaku, Virgil van Dijk, Tiemoué Bakayoko, Álvaro Morata and Alex Sandro feature on a hefty wish-list.

“In every situation it’s important to find the right balance: If you have to spend money, try and spend that money in the right way to take players with the right characteristics for your idea of football,” Conte said.

“But, for us, I repeat: this season is very important because we are trying to build something important for the present, to put the foundations down and be strong, stronger for the future. And to build, also, slowly, slowly to become a real power. A real power in the future.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/24/antonio-conte-chelsea-southampton

47 minutes ago, Zeta said:

Depends if he actually wants to be one of the best in the world or not. He's very good, but he tends to drift in and out of games a lot. He'll have a great first half and then disappear in the 2nd, or have a great 20 minutes, then fade. The very best players will dominate a whole game.

I agree, I think what Fabregas is trying to say has been lost in translation so to speak. He's not telling him to be greedy and not pass the ball, to me he's telling him to have the ruthless streak that the best in the world have. 

He's a very very good player at the moment but I think that would take him to that elite level if he scored more goals.

Conte just comes across as a really top notch guy who's really down to earth, I hope he's at the helm for a long time!

JoseBlues likes this

3 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

The Italian added David Luiz, N’Golo Kante – whom Conte described as “a silent leader” in the dressing room – Marcos Alonso and the under-used Michy Batshuayi to the ranks for around £100m over the summer, a significant outlay eclipsed by the £150m spent by United and £165m by City in the transfer window.

“This season it’s very important to understand it’s not always about who spends more money who wins,” said Conte, who should have his captain, Gary Cahill, fit after illness and will recall Diego Costa and Eden Hazard against Southampton. “Otherwise, in this league, this season the name of the [title-winning] team wouldn’t be Chelsea or Tottenham or Arsenal or Liverpool. You understand?”

Asked if he anticipated the Manchester clubs spending as excessively again over the summer ahead, he said: “Yes, like every year. You’ve seen the past. You can see that every season they spend a lot of money. But it’s right for every team to do what they think is best. Every single club decides their own strategy. But this season isn’t the only season the Manchester clubs have spent a lot of money. Look at the past. It’s normal. It’s right for them to do this, to reinforce their teams, if they think this is the right way to win the title.”

I can't believe he went there. I know it doesn't change anything, but for any Chelsea manager in the last fifteen years to make any comment on spending is just inviting a load of abuse to be directed at the club.

5 minutes ago, Snedger said:

I can't believe he went there. I know it doesn't change anything, but for any Chelsea manager in the last fifteen years to make any comment on spending is just inviting a load of abuse to be directed at the club.

I get what your saying but the Manchester Clubs have blown everyone else out of the water with their spending over the last 2/3 years and despite that they've not even come close to winning the league. 

It's a fair point Conte raises that money spent won't necessarily equate success and the last two seasons have shown that to be true. 

It's all well and good targeting marque signings but look at Real Madrid... One league win in the last 8 years using their galactico model. 

Perhaps, it's a subtle word of warning to us Chelsea fans from Conte not to expect big spending, big names come the summer but more Alonso styled, under the radar players? 

Indeed, and we do look to be gently heading that way based on the last few summers transfer activity. It's definitely not the case that I disagree with what he said, it's just that in his position I'd give the subject a very wide berth.

ForeverCarefree likes this

I'm not sure he was trying to be dismissive or critical of their spending, on the contrary he affirmed that every club has the right to do what they think is necessary to win. That is a huge departure from the sanctimonious whinging we have witnessed from the likes of Wenger et al.

Scott Harris likes this

Drops two biggest players in Hazard and Costa in a semi final against Tottenham, title rivals. Win the game 4 - 2.

Returns Costa to the team tonight and he gets two goals and an assist.

2523812_heroa.jpg

Edited by dansubrosa
Argo likes this

13 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I get what your saying but the Manchester Clubs have blown everyone else out of the water with their spending over the last 2/3 years and despite that they've not even come close to winning the league. 

It's a fair point Conte raises that money spent won't necessarily equate success and the last two seasons have shown that to be true. 

It's all well and good targeting marque signings but look at Real Madrid... One league win in the last 8 years using their galactico model. 

Perhaps, it's a subtle word of warning to us Chelsea fans from Conte not to expect big spending, big names come the summer but more Alonso styled, under the radar players? 

To me, he was simply saying that in order to win the PL, you do not need Pogba, Mourinho, Guardiola etc. You need just Antonio Conte.

That is: give me Southampton (to say a team) and I'll win the league. Not a matter of money. Just a matter of human material, spirit and will.

The same spirit (soul spirit) that a coach instills or manages to create in any player.

We are talking here of winning mindset.

Look at players like Marcos Alonso or Cahill. They defend, score, they give their soul on the pitch. With great elegance and class. 

Always on high head (I don't remember now the exact term in english to define that posture).

To conclude, Conte said, among the lines, that Mourinho or Guardiola are not good managers, unlike Pochettino and Klopp. (Has ever been Wenger a coach?).

Ciao.

Zola likes this