Vidahost - UK Web Hosting
Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

JMaher94

Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

4,438 posts in this topic

I have not read a single response saying they don't think it's a good thing, just people wondering why there's no extension. But don't let that affect the narrative that people just complain about everything, are negative about everything, and are never happy. Because it's such a nice, like-inducing narrative.

Edited by Zeta

1 hour ago, Sindre said:

I am sure it must be pretty rare for a player or manager to get a hefty payrise without having to extend his current contract. To me this sounds like the club knows Conte is really unhappy with how we have looked in the transfer market and the club is trying to make up for it by paying him £3 million more a year. Like a "we are sorry we have fecked things up again, but here have another £3 million a year and stay pleeeeeeeease"

It would work for me :wink:

For me it shows a level of commitment. It would be a PR disaster if Conte were to leave in the next few months, and being a club that has had several PR disasters in the past I think we're keen to avoid this. He's signed for another 2 years, meaning if he stays that's 3 years in the role. 3 years at Chelsea is seen as longevity really, and Conte doesn't strike me as someone who wants to build a 'dynasty' and be here for 10+ years and that just isn't the way our club works either. I'm hoping for another successful 2 seasons and a serious crack at the Champions League!

erskblue likes this

So, who didn't want to extend the deal? It's very rare, to the point it's almost unheard of nowadays for a manager to sign a new contract but not extend the length of the deal. 

Conte? Does he not want to commit to a long term contract and wants to keep his options open for the future? Guardiola often signed 12 month deals at previous clubs, similar tact from Conte? 

Or was it the board? We were burned pretty badly after giving Mourinho a 4 year contract after the title win only to end up paying out the best part of £10m in compensation when we sacked him. 

I think the board is not interested in doing another 'José'. That deal was f**king stupid in retrospect of course.

Lets just see how this season goes.

From what I read regarding Mourinho's pay out. We only actually up 1 year of his contract, So I don't believe fear of compensation would've been an issue. Most likely it was agreed that conte deserved a pay rise, but there was no rush to extend. 

I'm happy for him to sign as it will hopefully put rumours of him leaving to bed. 

He's been pretty well backed so far, with 2 of his top targets, and 2 of his own staff, but the striker situation is starting to look desperate, and I think conte has to take some blame for that. We could've kept costa sweet, whilst working on bringing someone in.

Now we are in an ugly predicament. 

dansubrosa likes this

Nice to see Conte getting some reward. I have no doubt he's frustrated, but so far he has kept quiet. I'm sure he will be asked 100 times about our slow transfer dealings, be interest to hear his thoughts. The striker situation is getting desperate with each passing day, look like the only realistic signing is Belloti , maybe we should have made a serious bid weeks ago and could have sorted by now. We aren't even looking into other options, I reckon even Hernandez is worth a shout, he'd score 15-20 goals if given 25-30 games. In the worst case, we could end up with  Batshuayi, Lorente and Remy for the new season

2 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Does he not want to commit to a long term contract and wants to keep his options open for the future? 

To me it sounds like he wants to stay BUT is happy to consider AC Milan perhaps as early as next summer.

:hiding:

lchk likes this

6 hours ago, the special one said:

To me it sounds like he wants to stay BUT is happy to consider AC Milan perhaps as early as next summer.

:hiding:

What are you on mate? He's Juve through and through, him going to one of the Milan clubs would be akin to JT managing the Spuds or Gary Neville at Liverpool... It won't happen in a million years.

Just thinking about this when I posted about Aurier; I'm impressed/happy/relieved Conte came out on top with the Costa drama. Back this guy with whatever he wants please

erskblue and Brutos like this