JMaher94

Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

7 hours ago, Davey Baby said:

I think yesterday was a very harmful defeat for Conte. We played like a small team, City were a big team, with big ambitions, ambitions to play, to impose themselves on title rivals away from home, ambitions to express themselves. We were meek by comparison. We showed no ambition at all.

Tactically, the substitution was horrible, it was clearly not working but he didn't change it. If you want to play without a striker, bring Pedro and Hazard on and take off Morata and Fabregas, and go 343, or just swap Morata with Michy. Swapping Morata for Willian was defensive beyond belief and more or less surrendered all the initiative to City. At half-time he had a chance to change it. He refused.

Atletico was as good as I've seen from Conte but that was against a team who like to play counter themselves. City was as bad as I've seen from Conte. It was embarrassing. We were humiliated. Forget the score, that flattered us, the way we played, the way they played, the contrast in mindsets. It was embarrassing. 

Worse than that it was harmful. Harmful for our chances this season and not just because we dropped points to a rival. Harmful psychologically. Champions can lose. Champions can play badly. Champions don't play like a small team. We will feel smaller after that defeat and all our rivals will feel bigger. We exposed a weakness.

Yes we had a day less to recover, which played its part. I also think Conte was badly let down in the window and he will know that. Morata went off and he didn't have another striker he trusted. We haven't upgraded the crucial WB positions. The shame of it is City's defence is their weak spot. We never even tested them. Stones and Otamendi, they can be got at. We barely touched the ball, let alone offered anything going forward. If Hazard's not on the ball you have find a way of getting it to him, because we are so reliant on him, but we couldn't, and that's the manager's doing. By contrast City aren't reliant on any one individual. Unlike us they have invested in attacking players, in creative players, in players with that bit of spark. That's their philosophy and it paid off yesterday. They were as good as any league team I can remember at the Bridge. I don't think any English side has come to the Bridge in the Roman era and outplayed us so comprehensively. People say Arsenal play good football, well Arsenal have never played us off the park in the Roman era. City did.

Going forward Antonio needs to pick the team on merit. Christensen in the team. If you play well you keep your spot. Rudiger in the team. Fabregas out. Fabregas is a massive problem for Conte. He wants to play him more partly I suspect because he senses Cesc isn't happy with a bit-part role but the bit-part role Cesc played for us last season was perfect. Stick to that blueprint Antonio. You know it makes sense.

I agree & disagree, I do love your posts regardless though.

We set up defensively, that's not a bad thing, it was the right thing to do given the circumstances. It's also a very good way of playing against Pep, he's tactically naive against big sides and it was no different yesterday, we just performed very poorly and they were brilliant. 

But I also think you're overreacting, we got outplayed by many teams under Mourinho, the Spurs 5-3 one? AVB 5-3 against Arsenal? What about the time when PSG outplayed us with 10 men at home and ended up winning? It happens, you shake it off, it's a long season. 

But I agree with the last paragraph of your post absolutely, the team from now on must be on merit, Fabregas has to be pushed to the bench, so does Willian. The performances from those two players, in particular, are unacceptable, especially Willian. Even Pedro has been poor, I really wish we never loaned out Boga, would love to have been able to give him a run out with Hazard next to him. 

4 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

True enough but let's not forget they had three very big players out. I don't think the money quite mitigates the fact we were outplayed so comprehensively at home.

KDB, David Silva, Bernardo Silva, Sane. A very very good attack, even Sterling who I find very overrated is having an amazing season. 

If we can get Pedro & Willian back on form to the way they were playing last season we'll be up there, but if we don't then we have a problem on our hands, Willian looks off. 

38 minutes ago, Slojo said:

I agree & disagree, I do love your posts regardless though.

Thank you I appreciate that. I would say against Arsenal and City at home we were too cautious. Nothing wrong with being cautious but we took it too far, yesterday especially, but I take your point.

8 hours ago, JM7 said:

Worrying to see rumours that Conte wants out at the end of the season. Hopefully it’s just nonsense and negativity after a poor performance. 

When you take this week as a whole, I think most of us would have take a 4-0 win away at Stoke, a superb 2-1 win at AM and may have accepted a loss to City. 

We shouldn’t be getting too worked up by the loss, this team has shown that it work beat big teams and perform in big moments. The timing of the AM game had a major impact and we have been on the other side when other teams have played mid week (see Everton). 

Keep your chin up. 

these rumours always seem to surface with us, and it's usually because it is chelsea. anyone else, this wouldn't happen. They did it before the spurs game earlier this season and they're doing it again. i read the rumours were started (or perpetuated) by duncan castles, who seems to be an avid chelsea hater. conte still has a contract with us, and unless he walks away i don't see roman getting rid if we have a good (if not winning the league, then 2nd or 3rd and good cl campaign) season.

Edited by enigma

6 hours ago, JT_<3 said:

I think after this game Conte can draw some conclusions:

1.We need improvement in the RWB position

2.Cesc is a liability

3.He must find new tactics against high pressing teams

lwb is the area which needs improvement, but improvement means being better than alonso which isn't going to be easy as he's showed he can be important for us. alex sandro was targeted as the upgrade, but not viable this summer. drinkwater would play over cesc, but he's out until the middle of this month so we do lack in the central midfield at the moment until he returns. as for tactics, it's something conte needs (and i'm sure has been doing previously during his time here) to practice against in training. 

Glad you are realising that Fabregas has to spend much more time on the bench.

The problem with this match was we had neither Luiz (suspended) or Drinkwater (injured) that could have provided more strength in midfield. Alonso was always going to be overrun against a strong side like City.

Conte had his hands tied due to player availability, also Hazard has played very few times  with Morata and is just back from injury. 

Conte should not be judged on this match except for the substation of Willian, could another have done better perhaps Bats.

We lost to a great goal rather than an error that I think is worth mentioning.

I'm surprised so many are ready to relegate Cesc. I don't think he should be an automatic selection but he serves a purpose in the squad and knows how to use a player like him. We have nobody else to replace his quality and I expect to see him regularly the rest of the season 

8 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Conte had his hands tied due to player availability, also Hazard has played very few times  with Morata and is just back from injury. 

Conte should not be judged on this match except for the substation of Willian, could another have done better perhaps Bats.

We lost to a great goal rather than an error that I think is worth mentioning.

Totally agree, this game was a particular game who come after 2 massive games already, players was tired, but in fact the only mistakes from Contes is the swapping Morata for Willian... Otherwise City wasn't made a great game, they make turn the ball without nothing set up for score... Their goal come after a great personnal action.. 

I wouldn’t blame Conte for leaving, due to how poorly supported he was in the summer. He would’ve wanted at least 2-3 top signings to compliment the squad and instead we lost a whole host of players, and failed to bring in anyone really top drawer, apart from Morata, who is now the only recognised class centre forward we have.

When you get crowned Champions, you have to go for the jugular & reinforce further to remain ahead of the pack. We lost signings to both Manc clubs, and even Spurs for christ’s Sake! Not good enough. And now, as Gerarrd rightly said on the weekend, we will have to prioritise which trophy to fight for as we don’t have the squad to go for everything. I’m sure Conte expected better. 

I can guarantee you this "story" about Conte leaving won't have happened if we had won on saturday. Wasnt he on the verge of being sacked last septmber when we lost back to back against Liverpool and Arsenal?

Wasnt he also about to sacked and replaced with Tuchel after we lost to Burnley?

And all the stories about conte falling out with the board and about to leave because we lost out on Ox and Barkley :laugh2:

The media are full of liverpool and Utd fans and now that Liverpool are out of the title race watch them do everything they can to destabilise us as soon they smell blood.

These stories seem to appear whenever theres a loss and quickly dissapear when we start winning again. 

8 hours ago, Elliott said:

I wouldn’t blame Conte for leaving, due to how poorly supported he was in the summer. He would’ve wanted at least 2-3 top signings to compliment the squad and instead we lost a whole host of players, and failed to bring in anyone really top drawer, apart from Morata, who is now the only recognised class centre forward we have.

When you get crowned Champions, you have to go for the jugular & reinforce further to remain ahead of the pack. We lost signings to both Manc clubs, and even Spurs for christ’s Sake! Not good enough. And now, as Gerarrd rightly said on the weekend, we will have to prioritise which trophy to fight for as we don’t have the squad to go for everything. I’m sure Conte expected better. 

he got morata, bako and rudiger first team ready.. and few fringe players like danny, zappa etc. and a massively improved christensen back.. tbh good addition to a title winning squad..

and i think its not easy to get a good 2nd forward in these days when we / most teams play with 1 striker up top.. nobody likes to be that bench player...

22 minutes ago, acidicleo said:

he got morata, bako and rudiger first team ready.. and few fringe players like danny, zappa etc. and a massively improved christensen back.. tbh good addition to a title winning squad..

and i think its not easy to get a good 2nd forward in these days when we / most teams play with 1 striker up top.. nobody likes to be that bench player...

It should have been easier for us to get Llorente than Spurs, much easier.

16 minutes ago, Barry Bridges said:

It should have been easier for us to get Llorente than Spurs, much easier.

agreed...but that aint a disaster imo..wud have been better agreed...

but i wud rather try to develop batman..

'It is important to write the truth'

Crystal Palace v Chelsea (15:00 BST)

89ef3434-e520-4f5e-a8f5-709a030cbb63.jpg

Chelsea

Chelsea boss Antonio Conte: "I did an interview two weeks ago and the translation was wrong. All I said was that one day in the future I would like to go back to Italy. But you know my position. I have two years contract with Chelsea and am happy to work for this club and with my players. I like to have this great feeling with our fans.

"My family stay here with me, not in Italy. My daughter goes to school here. It is important to write the truth.

"Every coach, when they start, they work with the club and hope they will stay for a long time and build something important. At the same time, I always say our job is difficult and is strange."

Hopeless, Pathetic, Gutless and honestly Cowardly decisions from him today.

Starting with the "tried and tested", rather than the players who actually DESERVED to start.

Cahill over Rudiger? Luiz over Andreas? Willian starting?

This defeat will be on him. 

To be honest, the last 2 performances have been so sh*tE. Literally 2015-16/10-11 level.

Get your sh*t together and play players who DESERVE to play.

53 minutes ago, dynamite said:

He needs to show more faith in Rudiger and Christensen. Both should've started this match today and needs to drop Willian until he shows some form and confidence. 

If last season proved anything it was that Willian was much better for us as a squad player. He's back to being a regular this season and he's been worse than ever.

1 minute ago, Scott Harris said:

If last season proved anything it was that Willian was much better for us as a squad player. He's back to being a regular this season and he's been worse than ever.

I can't believe how bad he's been this season. Hope he's on the bench against Roma otherwise it could be a long night.

1 hour ago, dynamite said:

He needs to show more faith in Rudiger and Christensen. Both should've started this match today and needs to drop Willian until he shows some form and confidence. 

Poor selection from Conte today. With no Kante, we needed some pace in that defence and I honestly think Christensen and Rudiger would have negated the threat Zaha and Townsend caused us. That's where we lost it today. Gutted.

1 minute ago, Nibs said:

Poor selection from Conte today. With no Kante, we needed some pace in that defence and I honestly think Christensen and Rudiger would have negated the threat Zaha and Townsend caused us. That's where we lost it today. Gutted.

i don't understand his team selection either. Those 2 have been our best defenders this season when given the chance. Cahill has been our worst and yet he still plays him. It blows my mind.

All summer i was right. Now it`s shows. I did told you, that you will start jumping on Conte ....

It`s so easy to blame when the match is finish.

Last time arround i heard why Conte did not played Batschuay. What he did today?
You can always find something to complain, when the match is over.

There is only 1 man to blame, and that is not Conte.

1 minute ago, brakeit said:

All summer i was right. Now it`s shows. I did told you, that you will start jumping on Conte ....

It`s so easy to blame when the match is finish.

Last time arround i heard why Conte did not played Batschuay. What he did today?
You can always find something to complain, when the match is over.

There is only 1 man to blame, and that is not Conte.

3 guarantee's in life. Death, taxes and you posting sh*t after a bad result.

Back to RAWK you go.......