Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

JMaher94
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

7 minutes ago, Kentonio said:

2018: "OMFG!! We've gone and bought squad players instead of all world class starters!! How can the idiot board have ruined the team like this!?!?"

Along with we should sell 3 squad players and buy 1 player!

Edited by Stim

6 minutes ago, Kentonio said:

2017: "OMFG!! We have such a thin squad!! How could the idiot board allow us to be this short on players?!?!"

2018: "OMFG!! We've gone and bought squad players instead of all world class starters!! How can the idiot board have ruined the team like this!?!?"

I never thought I'd see the day when Chelsea fans were slagging off our own players after 5 minutes at the club. Bakayoko has had a mare but writing him off already is ridiculous, and anyone slating Drinkwater needs to have a word with themselves. Zappacosta might not be the best talent in the world, but he runs his arse off and gives it everything he's got. Not every player we buy is going to be an incarnation of Messi but if they wear the shirt and work hard they deserve our support.

This.

I think the new signings need some time. 

But we did need another world class player - the board/conte have put their faith in morata to develop into one, lets see how that goes.

8 minutes ago, didierforever said:

This.

I think the new signings need some time. 

But we did need another world class player - the board/conte have put their faith in morata to develop into one, lets see how that goes.

Generally like your points, though would argue we needed another world class player like a Sandro. We didn't get it and teams have quickly worked us out. 

We now need Conte to change something to put the fear back into teams otherwise we risk mid-table mediocrity.

Whether that is formation change or different personnel something has to change keep us in the top four, the current 3-5-2 is not working.

2 hours ago, Kentonio said:

2017: "OMFG!! We have such a thin squad!! How could the idiot board allow us to be this short on players?!?!"

I never thought I'd see the day when Chelsea fans were slagging off our own players after 5 minutes at the club. Bakayoko has had a mare but writing him off already is ridiculous, and anyone slating Drinkwater needs to have a word with themselves. Zappacosta might not be the best talent in the world, but he runs his arse off and gives it everything he's got. Not every player we buy is going to be an incarnation of Messi but if they wear the shirt and work hard they deserve our support.

Welcome to the world of FIFA and Football Manager playing modern fans, who see everything in black and white and immediates. A player is either sh*t or amazing, no player is allowed time to fit into a new squad, unless its the ones we sold too early of course who weren't given enough time (with hindsight). 

If we go by some fans thinking that KDB and Salah was given a fair chance then Baka has been given more than enough chances :wink:

5 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

I've not seen Bakayoko put in as bad a performance as Kdb did against Swindon, if that's what you are alluding to

I've seen plenty, Arsenal away was one of the worst performances I have seen from a Chelsea player. He should never have started, never come back on at half time and never played the whole match. Chelsea done well to get a draw from a match they was playing with 10 men. His played over 20 games with most of them being awful.

19 hours ago, Nickcook26 said:

Shocking to see the bashing Danny Drinkwater is getting here. I think he had one poor performance against Arsenal alongside the rest of the team but has largely been effective in midfield when he has played this year.

Our poorest performances of the year Drinkwater hasn't played in (West Ham, Palace, Roma, Leicester this weekend, Burnley). I think he deserves a run in the team ahead of Bakayoko who no doubt is struggling to settle and has confidence issues.

Shocking to see him getting bashed on here basically because he isn't an overseas household name.

drinkwater has started 4 games and 2 of those he didn't play well, arsenal and norwich. He had a great game against stoke, and decent game against newcastle, and in the remaining sub appearances he's done okay. 

I just don't think we would've been any worse off with rlc. £35m for a player with no resale value, and will likely not improve much at 28. It just isn't the best use of funds in my opinion, especially when funds are tighter these days. 

For what it's worth, I think drinkwater has been a little better than I expected, but it doesn't change my opinion of him being a limited footballer bought because of nationality rather than abilility.

When are you going to just accept that letting KDB go was a mistake? You hang onto this Swindon game like it is the most important thing in his career and all the good performances, assists and goals he's got since then are irrelevant, because he played badly against Swindon. Everyone has bad games every now and then. I've yet to see Bakayoko have a particularly good game.

2 minutes ago, Zeta said:

When are you going to just accept that letting KDB go was a mistake? You hang onto this Swindon game like it is the most important thing in his career and all the good performances, assists and goals he's got since then are irrelevant, because he played badly against Swindon. Everyone has bad games every now and then. I've yet to see Bakayoko have a particularly good game.

I think he's making the point that Bakayoko could wind up being brilliant too, yet plenty of people here are ready to give up on him already.

11 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

Oh, @Ernie_blue, I don't disagree that he was pants in that match, but still not as bad as Kdb against Swindon.  And you haven't seen any Bakayoko performances worse than that, let alone plenty.

Baka against Arsenal was one of the worst games I have seen someone play for a long time, Chelsea played with 10 men. I can't remember the game against Swindon, seems you have it saved on the computer.

So KDB has one bad game and his out and you agree with this, Baka has played over 20 games for Chelsea and alot have been piss poor but you like posts critising people not giving him a chance, where's your consistency :laugh2:. Make it up as you go along.

5 minutes ago, Zeta said:

I guarantee KDB has had bad games since he joined City, every player has them. Letting KDB go was not a mistake but Baka hasn't been given enough time :face_palm:.

22 minutes ago, big blue said:

drinkwater has started 4 games and 2 of those he didn't play well, arsenal and norwich. He had a great game against stoke, and decent game against newcastle, and in the remaining sub appearances he's done okay. 

I just don't think we would've been any worse off with rlc. £35m for a player with no resale value, and will likely not improve much at 28. It just isn't the best use of funds in my opinion, especially when funds are tighter these days. 

For what it's worth, I think drinkwater has been a little better than I expected, but it doesn't change my opinion of him being a limited footballer bought because of nationality rather than abilility.

Good points and this is why its so hard for youngsters to break through. Be careful you're be accused of bashing Drinkwater.

24 minutes ago, big blue said:

While we may not have been much worse off with RLC, you have to look at the long term picture. 

They are at two completely different stages of their careers. Drinkwater is at the stage of his career where he has accepted less playing time for the challenge of playing for a top team.

RLC needs as much playing time as possible. The loan deal is good for him (good senior playing time experience and even getting a call up for England). Would having started 4 games at this stage of the season have been any good for him? (Like DD has done).

We have a very talented player in RLC but I back the club's decision that a loan move was right for his development this season. Let's hope he develops whilst on loan and can do what Christensen has done next year when he returns.

26 minutes ago, Nickcook26 said:

While we may not have been much worse off with RLC, you have to look at the long term picture. 

They are at two completely different stages of their careers. Drinkwater is at the stage of his career where he has accepted less playing time for the challenge of playing for a top team.

RLC needs as much playing time as possible. The loan deal is good for him (good senior playing time experience and even getting a call up for England). Would having started 4 games at this stage of the season have been any good for him? (Like DD has done).

We have a very talented player in RLC but I back the club's decision that a loan move was right for his development this season. Let's hope he develops whilst on loan and can do what Christensen has done next year when he returns.

Totally agree. It's just a shame that the loan move didn't happen before, then he might have been useful to us this season.

55 minutes ago, Zeta said:

@Zeta You know where I stand on this.  The whole "selling Kdb was a huge f**k up by the club because he was obviously the new Pele" is disingenuous revisionism, and the Swindon game is an exemplar of that very thing.  I only brought it up because some arse keeps on with the Bakayoko is the worst performer in the history of Chelsea Football Club, and I noted that he has not played as badly as the performance I quoted.

Without going over the whole Kdb thing again, I have never said that he isn't a good (even great) player NOW, but that he never showed that while he was with us.  I have asked many, many times for one, just one, example of anything Kdb did in a Chelsea shirt that even HINTED at what sort of player he would become, and none of the DeBruyne-boys have come up with anything.  Nothing.  Nada.  Sweet fanny adams.  the only thing that anyone can say is he scored in a friendly, and injured himself doing it.

I am quite happy to reconsider my opinion if anyone could show me anything at all of Kdb in a Chelsea shirt that showed that he could be anything more than another McCreachan or Kakuta.

1 hour ago, Nickcook26 said:

Some good and fair points there. 

However I think rlc could've gotten plenty of games here, especially with us playing 352. Drinkwater might have only started 4, but he was also injured for a while at the start of the season, so there were games and minutes he has missed out on. 

The loan system is hit and miss. It's difficult to say whether rlc hs improved significantly. He got a decent run centrally under de boer, but he's been playing wide alot under Hodgson, I don't see him as a wide player long term, so how much experience has he actually had centrally? 

Maybe I'm wrong and he is going to be a wide player. 

5 hours ago, Kentonio said:

Agree with the end part of your post, but regarding the first two sentences, not far off the mark.

In the transfer window it was known we needed more depth and some of the inbounds had to be starting 11 quality for a side with our ambitions (aka world class or close to) if we were to have any chance at said ambitions.

In the transfer window no real depth was created and, aside from a returning loanee, at this point in time I fail to see where on the pitch the team was actually improved. I think some players will improve, but right now we do not have a team as strong as it was a year ago... but we do have more and tougher fixtures.  I agree people have been over the top go after some of the newer players, but discontent with the squad size and lack of quality coming in where it's needed are legitimate concerns/grievances.

I think the money spent could also have been done more shrewdly. Quality over quantity even if both are needed.  Instead of Zappacosta, Drinkwater and Barkley(no slight on them) why not get one top top player and use some of our loanees/youth?  Two of Van Ginkel/RLC/Pasalic with Dave filling in at LWB when needed (due to how many CBs we have, keep Zouma and sell Luiz if need be for additional funds) and get Sandro and/or Sanchez for example.

Anyways, agreed the "support" for some players has been disgraceful but I get some of the unhappiness regarding the personnel situation. 

1 hour ago, yorkleyblue said:

@Zeta You know where I stand on this.  The whole "selling Kdb was a huge f**k up by the club because he was obviously the new Pele" is disingenuous revisionism, and the Swindon game is an exemplar of that very thing.  I only brought it up because some arse keeps on with the Bakayoko is the worst performer in the history of Chelsea Football Club, and I noted that he has not played as badly as the performance I quoted.

Without going over the whole Kdb thing again, I have never said that he isn't a good (even great) player NOW, but that he never showed that while he was with us.  I have asked many, many times for one, just one, example of anything Kdb did in a Chelsea shirt that even HINTED at what sort of player he would become, and none of the DeBruyne-boys have come up with anything.  Nothing.  Nada.  Sweet fanny adams.  the only thing that anyone can say is he scored in a friendly, and injured himself doing it.

I am quite happy to reconsider my opinion if anyone could show me anything at all of Kdb in a Chelsea shirt that showed that he could be anything more than another McCreachan or Kakuta.

I wonder what goes through your head as you are moving the goal posts AGAIN!

The debate is whether KDB was given a fair chance at Chelsea football club? YES or NO? Its nothing to do with how the player works out 2 years down the line, its the question of whether a certain player was given the opportunities at Chelsea when he was at the club.

I mention Baka because he has played over 20 games for Chelsea and you like posts which say he should be given more time, i don't disagree with this and of course he shouldn't be sold but were is your'e consistency?

I think he's making the point that Bakayoko could wind up being brilliant too, yet plenty of people here are ready to give up on him already.

I can't even remember that Swindon game, I remember his Chelsea debut when he got the assist against Hull then he was sidelined for months and months. I don't think that's anything to do with KDB being bad then, he had heaps of talent and he showed it when he went out on loan. 

That is in no way a fair comparison to someone who has played 18 PL games for us already and only has a few good performances to show for it. And this is no disrespect to @yorkleyblue who is one of my favourite posters on here, one of the few level-headed posters (definitely discluding myself). But Bakayoko has just not performed well, and that's not to say write him off or he won't become good, but it's certainly not a given. Arsenal away & Liverpool away were two of the worst performances I've seen in a Chelsea shirt, granted it's against two good teams, but it's quite clear he's not ready.

Should people stop writing him off? Yes I agree, that goes for myself, but I've written him off because I wasn't keen on the player to begin with so I'm more critical

But I also think people should stop saying he's a great talent or could become great like it's a given. We've simply seen no proof of it, we have to be more realistic and prepare for the possibility that this guy just isn't and will never be good enough. 

Edited by Slojo

1 minute ago, Ernie_blue said:

True, so was KDB given the same chance as Baka?

I was always torn on KDB. In terms of time in the first team squad, of course he wasn't given nearly enough time before being sold (as his later progress showed). Then again at that time there was lots of talk about him being lazy in training and expecting automatic game time and demanding a move when he didn't get it. I don't know if there was any truth to that, but combined with Jose seeming to give up on him, I trusted the club and Mourinho to know best. With hindsight, that was a mistake.

3 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Should people stop writing him off? Yes I agree, that goes for myself, but I've written him off because I wasn't keen on the player to begin with so I'm more critical

But I also think people should stop saying he's a great talent or could become great like it's a given. We've simply seen no proof of it, we have to be more realistic and prepare for the possibility that this guy just isn't and will never be good enough. 

I think we're just saying he's a high potential youngster. Seems pretty much beyond question considering the amount we spent on him. Then again no-one knows more than Chelsea fans about how many high potential youngsters end up doing feck all. :laugh2:

1 minute ago, Kentonio said:

I was always torn on KDB. In terms of time in the first team squad, of course he wasn't given nearly enough time before being sold (as his later progress showed). Then again at that time there was lots of talk about him being lazy in training and expecting automatic game time and demanding a move when he didn't get it. I don't know if there was any truth to that, but combined with Jose seeming to give up on him, I trusted the club and Mourinho to know best. With hindsight, that was a mistake.

Without personal views on a player and rumours etc, KDB was never given a fair chance, that's all i want the answer to, it will always be a no.