Kodi

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

As a technophobe I've been reluctant to subject myself to yet another gadget but finally caved in and bought a Kodi box.

I've only had it a couple of days but first impressions so far have been positive. Now if I could just find an idiot proof way of running it in conjunction with my surround sound system. There are a number of tutorials out there on the web but my eyes tend to glaze over reading most of them.

I've been pleased with the picture quality when watching films but I think my poor broadband speeds ( about 15 Mb/s ) is going to limit things when watching live football. I watched our cup game this afternoon and picture quality was just about watchable...at least there was no buffering.

Hoping to learn as I go along but so far, not too bad.

2 minutes ago, WeatherMan said:

As a technophobe I've been reluctant to subject myself to yet another gadget but finally caved in and bought a Kodi box.

I've only had it a couple of days but first impressions so far have been positive. Now if I could just find an idiot proof way of running it in conjunction with my surround sound system. There are a number of tutorials out there on the web but my eyes tend to glaze over reading most of them.

I've been pleased with the picture quality when watching films but I think my poor broadband speeds ( about 15 Mb/s ) is going to limit things when watching live football. I watched our cup game this afternoon and picture quality was just about watchable...at least there was no buffering.

Hoping to learn as I go along but so far, not too bad.

don't worry mate - I am a computer geek & I am continuing to find ways to tweak my Kodi setup for optimal uses. So keep up the cause & let us know if you have any other breakthroughs in your kodi usage

29 minutes ago, robdog said:

don't worry mate - I am a computer geek & I am continuing to find ways to tweak my Kodi setup for optimal uses. So keep up the cause & let us know if you have any other breakthroughs in your kodi usage

Cheers RobDog but strewth don't rely on me for breakthroughs mate, I'm just pleased to have got it working in the first place. Any tips and advice welcome. :JC_doubleup:

52 minutes ago, WeatherMan said:

Cheers RobDog but strewth don't rely on me for breakthroughs mate, I'm just pleased to have got it working in the first place. Any tips and advice welcome. :JC_doubleup:

I am personally scouring/searching the internet for ideas - also I have a wealth of users close by me to give me tips - like using Real Debrid or using private vpns to enhance the streaming experience

• 3 months later...

I've been trying to watch the new Mystery Science Theater episodes from Netflix but I can never find any sources, which is strange since they're quiet new and popular. I have Exodus and SALTS and a Real Debrid account but still no sauces. Anybody else having the same problem?

7 hours ago, daledotman said:

Whats the best add-on people are using for football at the moment, I used to use NJM Soccer but hasn't been working well recently. 

I use plexus so you can play acestream and sopcast links. Phoenix sports has pretty reliable links,  I used to use castaway but that's hit and miss at the moment. 

If you can't get plexus working for whatever reason. UK turk is good for flash streams. 

On 25/04/2017 at 18:25, big blue said:

I use plexus so you can play acestream and sopcast links. Phoenix sports has pretty reliable links,  I used to use castaway but that's hit and miss at the moment. 

If you can't get plexus working for whatever reason. UK turk is good for flash streams. 

If you join the kodi forums on Facebook, members tell you what's working best at the time. 

• 3 weeks later...

On 5/21/2017 at 19:32, dan_cfc said:

Still struggling for a good live tv addon using UKTURK but it's not great.

You and me both. 

After 8 odd years, my card sharing sky box has come to an end, sky have changed the encryption, so the stuff through the dish is no longer working. Gutting but the party was always going to stop some day!!

May be IPTV from here on out. Which means I will need a solid Kodi Addon. 

4 hours ago, Zola said:

You and me both. 

After 8 odd years, my card sharing sky box has come to an end, sky have changed the encryption, so the stuff through the dish is no longer working. Gutting but the party was always going to stop some day!!

May be IPTV from here on out. Which means I will need a solid Kodi Addon. 

Are you in a cable area??

Live TV you guys will need IPTV like UltimateMania which is a all channel version of Sports Mania.

these of course are sub services but the prices work out about a months sub for sky or Virgin for a year's worth and you get ten times the content. 

Other than that it's dodgey streams , chasing sources and using VPN's. 

1 hour ago, suttoner said:

Just get a cable server instead mate.

I can point you to a good one if you're not sure.

As for a box, get one of these http://www.zgemma.co.uk/Sat-Cable-Terrestrial/zgemma-star-h2

All  your HD channels back too...

Oh! interesting. How long has it been running? I wonder if it will meet the same fate as the card sharing? I suppose its a roll of the dice. 

How much would you typically pay for a server? I was paying £30 a year! :laugh2:

1 hour ago, Zola said:

Oh! interesting. How long has it been running? I wonder if it will meet the same fate as the card sharing? I suppose its a roll of the dice. 

How much would you typically pay for a server? I was paying £30 a year! :laugh2:

I've had mine for over 2 years and it's been going for longer than that.

Prices are £80 for a year, that includes all pay per view etc.

It's more expensive that sat but it's that or IPTV, which isn't the best at the minute. Quite a few of the IPTV channels suffer from low bitrates.

16 hours ago, Chelsbear said:

Live TV you guys will need IPTV like UltimateMania which is a all channel version of Sports Mania.

these of course are sub services but the prices work out about a months sub for sky or Virgin for a year's worth and you get ten times the content. 

Other than that it's dodgey streams , chasing sources and using VPN's. 

I use Sportsmania and that works a charm don't want to have to pay for Ultimate Mania aswell or it really is starting to get pricey.

7 minutes ago, dan_cfc said:

I use Sportsmania and that works a charm don't want to have to pay for Ultimate Mania aswell or it really is starting to get pricey.

I don't really see the point in UM for me as I only watch live sport. I use Exodus and Silent Huntet for TV and films. Unless you watch loads of live TV like sky movies ecy then you don't need it. 

For those running Android less than 5.0 on your Kodi box, you must update as there is a serious security flaw. The latest Kodi cant be installed on versions less than 5.0 also.

I actually got a letter from Virgin they suspect one device on our network may have randsomeware on it. I turned on my Kodi box and the message came up about updating for security. After scanning all devices it must be the Kodi box as its too much of a coincidence. 

I have binned the old box and ordering a new one, as its old and its time for a better spec.

Just about to order this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XGODY-Octa-Core-Android-6-0-Smart-4K-TV-BOX-17-0-Media-Player-3-16G-DDR4-WIFI-UK-/282185201338?hash=item41b38c76ba:g:Y94AAOSw7XBY8KBh#rwid

Any better ones at better price? 

You need to check in the settings of the box first of all that you are using at least Android 5.0.

If you are then just use the web browser on your box to download the latest Kodi from https://kodi.tv/download. Open the file and just install, it all sorts itself. 

I think updating the version of android is a bit more tricky. In the case of my old £30 box with limited ability, I just binned it and will replace. 

39 minutes ago, Zola said:

For those running Android less than 5.0 on your Kodi box, you must update as there is a serious security flaw. The latest Kodi cant be installed on versions less than 5.0 also.

I actually got a letter from Virgin they suspect one device on our network may have randsomeware on it. I turned on my Kodi box and the message came up about updating for security. After scanning all devices it must be the Kodi box as its too much of a coincidence. 

I have binned the old box and ordering a new one, as its old and its time for a better spec.

Just about to order this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XGODY-Octa-Core-Android-6-0-Smart-4K-TV-BOX-17-0-Media-Player-3-16G-DDR4-WIFI-UK-/282185201338?hash=item41b38c76ba:g:Y94AAOSw7XBY8KBh#rwid

Any better ones at better price? 

All bases covered there I think. 4k, 3g of RAM and S912 processor. I have just bought the TZ95 plus, with more or less the same spec.

Edited by Blue Exile