Vidahost - UK Web Hosting
Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Sheva

Alvaro Morata

1,403 posts in this topic

If Costa does leave, then whoever we bring in are going to have a question mark over their heads.

Is lukaku's touch good enough, will he start to show up on the big occasions?

Higuain is very expensive for his age, and there's also doubts about him turning up in the big games.

Morata will be a gamble as well, but I would back him to be a success here, and I think he will become a more prolific striker, when he is the main man at a big club.

I think all 3 could do well here tbh.

Who would be your pick Chelsbear if Costa left?

If Costa does leave, then whoever we bring in are going to have a question mark over their heads.

Is lukaku's touch good enough, will he start to show up on the big occasions?

Higuain is very expensive for his age, and there's also doubts about him turning up in the big games.

Morata will be a gamble as well, but I would back him to be a success here, and I think he will become a more prolific striker, when he is the main man at a big club.

I think all 3 could do well here tbh.

Who would be your pick Chelsbear if Costa left?

Although I don’t particularly rate Higuain as a footballer his goal scoring is the best out of everyone we have looked at so it would need to be him. If Costa did leave we would need 2 strikers though as Pato and Falcao are clearly not going to work.

Higuain would cost upwards of £30 million and I don’t think we have the money to spend that amount again on a second striker (especially if we are looking to bolster the defence and midfield too!).

Costa leaving would be a huge blow IMO.

Essien19 likes this

Although I don’t particularly rate Higuain as a footballer his goal scoring is the best out of everyone we have looked at so it would need to be him. If Costa did leave we would need 2 strikers though as Pato and Falcao are clearly not going to work.

Higuain would cost upwards of £30 million and I don’t think we have the money to spend that amount again on a second striker (especially if we are looking to bolster the defence and midfield too!).

Costa leaving would be a huge blow IMO.

It will be a massive blow to lose Costa.

Realistically I can only see him going back to Atletico, so if we hold onto him this window, he will likely be here for at least 2 more seasons, as Atletico will be banned from making transfersure next summer.

Maybe if we managed to get greizmann in for Costa, and then looked at bringing in one of the aforementioned 3 names we would be in a better position.

I don't know what our funds are going to be like though, and whether we could even persuade greizmann to come here.

Chelsbear likes this

Don't think anyone on here said he was sh*t....

He isn't at the same level of Costa though and it's not judged over just one season.

Costa has been proven in Spain and England scoring 20 goals and over in each 3 seasons.

Morata in Spain in 23 games had 8 goals while 2 years ago at Juventus he has 8 goals in 29 games and this season scored just 7 in 34 games. Whatever way you try to look at it that’s a woeful return in goal to games regardless of sub appearances, he has never scored more than 8 goals in the league in a single season.

So again you can’t simply say people who are not impressed with him as a striker have not watched him.

Last season 8 goals 5 assists in 1321 minutes again involved in a goal every 100 minutes and scoring every 165 minutes.

2 seasons ago 8 goals in 559 minutes (from 20 sub appearances and 3 starts) scoring every 70 minutes so more than a goal a game. 

His goal scoring does need to improve a little but he has never really had a long string of games as he has always been an emerging player at top clubs, so to claim he isn't a goal scorer on a small sample of stats is is like saying Traore only has 4 goals in 16 appearances this season so he isn't a goal scorer. It is hard to judge an emerging young talent who is primarily second fiddle on stats alone.

Edited by PedroMendez
RMH likes this

Huge fan of this guy.

In the past year he has scored 2 in CL semis, a CL final, Coppa Italia final and 3 in the derby with Inter. Big game player. Would be very pleased if we went in for him.

DidierDrogbalala likes this

Would much prefer him over Costa tbh.

The only strikers i will take over Costa or that can come here and immediately relegate Costa to the bench are Suarez, Aguero, Aubameyang and Ibrahimovic. The likes of Morata, Cavani, Lewandowski, Gameiro, Kane, Benzema and Lukaku are good but cant come here and be an instant hit and then get a better goal ratio than Costa.

So if Morata wont be upset when he comes here and ends up as second choice to Costa, then he will be a good signing.

The only strikers i will take over Costa or that can come here and immediately relegate Costa to the bench are Suarez, Aguero, Aubameyang and Ibrahimovic. The likes of Morata, Cavani, Lewandowski, Gameiro, Kane, Benzema and Lukaku are good but cant come here and be an instant hit and then get a better goal ratio than Costa.

So if Morata wont be upset when he comes here and ends up as second choice to Costa, then he will be a good signing.

Agreed.

You can't swap your top scorer with a guy who struggles big time to score over 7 goals a season in the league. Scoring important goals is great but if you struggle to score against the rest then it's not going to end in success.

We need Costa because we are highly unlikely to replace his goals

wallosh likes this

I don't think Morata is better than Costa right now but he's 23 and will only get better. Wouldn't be surprised if he outperforms Costa next season - not taking anything away from Diego, I still think he's fantastic. I just think that in the next 2 years or so, Morata will surpass him as he clearly has a huge amount of potential and has a much bigger frame allowing him to bully defenders more than Diego can.

I've no idea how Conte will have us setting up but Morata and Costa up top would be fantastic.

RMH likes this

How on earth can people say that certain players wouldn't come here and hit the ground running and have a better goals ratio than Costa. You can't possibly know that, and then to include Lewandowski who is one of the best strikers in the world ahead of Costa easily IMO is ridiculous.

Also suggesting Morata is a £10m player is laughable in my option.

If you watch him play yes absolute class at 23, his goals/assists by minute is terrific as per the previous posts is actually good, you can't just look at how many games they play because it could be 2 minutes of injury time at the end.

He'd be a great addition to the squad, him and Costa would link up really well if we go to a 2 up front formation.

RMH, Sheva, Samdwich and 1 other like this

How on earth can people say that certain players wouldn't come here and hit the ground running and have a better goals ratio than Costa. You can't possibly know that, and then to include Lewandowski who is one of the best strikers in the world ahead of Costa easily IMO is ridiculous.

If you watch him play yes absolute class at 23, his goals/assists by minute is terrific as per the previous posts is actually good, you can't just look at how many games they play because it could be 2 minutes of injury time at the end.

He'd be a great addition to the squad, him and Costa would link up really well if we go to a 2 up front formation.

Let's be fair then, you can't possibly know he would be a hit for us. You gotta wonder why he is so often on the bench for Juve, if he is class like you say then he should be starting every game. I say he shouldn't cost us more than £10m because anything over that should be getting you more goals. If we was to spend £20-£30m on a striker, we should be expecting a lot of goals. You spend that kind of money on proven goalscorers, not players who may score a lot of goals. Too often this club is over spending on players.

wallosh and Chelsbear like this

Can't say I know anything about him really, but his goal tally in recent years isn't great. Even the top youtube compilation i'm watching is mostly just tap-ins.

Edited by Zeta Orionis

Let's be fair then, you can't possibly know he would be a hit for us. You gotta wonder why he is so often on the bench for Juve, if he is class like you say then he should be starting every game. I say he shouldn't cost us more than £10m because anything over that should be getting you more goals. If we was to spend £20-£30m on a striker, we should be expecting a lot of goals. You spend that kind of money on proven goalscorers, not players who may score a lot of goals. Too often this club is over spending on players.

Apologies as putting its my opinion twice doesn't seem to be enough, the last line about him linking well with Costa was clearly my opinion as we don't even know if we'll play 2 up front.

You'll need to ask Allegri that one, maybe he doesn't rate him, maybe he's a bad trainer, Juve have great forward options? But that's not my job to work out, it's the clubs. To me the stats of contribution per minutes are there for you to see. You say he should score more but how can he do that without more minutes on the park?

There's a reason he's being linked with some of Europes top clubs.

If you think in a world of £50m for Sterlings & £25m for a Ramires , you'll get a player like Morata for £10m then that's a little silly mate.

Edited by EdinburghBlue

Tell you what striker I would not mind if Costa goes, or even stays.  One that stays in the box, scores tap ins and likes to shoot. Someone like van Nistelrooy would be absolutely ideal way we play

Lewandowski would hit the ground running anywhere. We have no hope of signing him but he'd be brilliant here

If you think in a world of £50m for Sterlings & £25m for a Ramires , you'll get a player like Morata for £10m then that's a little silly mate.

Yep. Prices are ridiculous in general. I think we are well past the point where any price is ridiculous... Luiz 50 mln...

Yep. Prices are ridiculous in general. I think we are well past the point where any price is ridiculous... Luiz 50 mln...

The Luiz price was actually 40 million Pounds, the 50 was in Euros. 

Tell you what striker I would not mind if Costa goes, or even stays.  One that stays in the box, scores tap ins and likes to shoot. Someone like van Nistelrooy would be absolutely ideal way we play

Costa is that type of striker, we just haven't been playing to his strengths. Costa is at his most dangerous when he is in the box scoring tap ins or finding the the bottom corner of the net. We bought him knowing his strengths, so i don't understand why we don't play in a way that suits him.

wallosh and TheChelsRVA like this

Costa is that type of striker, we just haven't been playing to his strengths. Costa is at his most dangerous when he is in the box scoring tap ins or finding the the bottom corner of the net. We bought him knowing his strengths, so i don't understand why we don't play in a way that suits him.

well you know the reason. Jose would never allow his player (even a striker) to just sit and wait in the front. everyone needs to drop and build from the back

I also think that you have to ask why he's coming off the bench? Some players are more effective that way (Hernandez springs to mind) but aren't very effective if they start matches. Just something to consider.

That's a good point but as you mentioned Hernandez, look at what he has done in the Bundesliga playing every game. 17 goals in 28 games and linked with several big clubs. Yes he is good coming off the bench, maybe he'll be even better starting every game? 

The Luiz price was actually 40 million Pounds, the 50 was in Euros. 

40 million pounds is still 25 million more than he was worth hahaha

just likes this

Anybody who has watched Juve regularly will know that Morata is a good player on the verge of becoming a world-class striker. I'm convinced that he'll be one of the best strikers in the world over the next few years and he has absolutely everything a top striker needs - speed, strength, movement, agility, a good shot. The only thing that has kept him from playing and scoring more is his temperament.

Don't let his goal tally deceive you, it says a lot that despite his lack of goals Juve will do whatever they reasonably can to sign him permanently. And it's well known that Conte is a huge fan (he was the one who wanted to sign him at Juve in the first place).

Samdwich and RIP Mourinho like this

Well, yes, but there's absolutely no chance of Dybala going anywhere for the foreseeable future.