Vidahost - UK Web Hosting
Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Sheva

Alvaro Morata

Has he had a shot on target with his feet yet? I don't actually remember one. In fact apart from a shot which was blocked by a defender against Leicester, which might have been going wide anyway, I don't recall any shots with his feet at all.

Edited by Zeta

He didn't have too much support really and when he did we generally screwed it up.  I noticed that quite a few times he drifted wide, and his running / dribbling style is very much Torresesq.    I like him a lot, he is still learning and once he starts playing more often with Hazard they could become the best double act to watch this season. 

Hazard will give him a lot more space to operate. Right now he's getting mauled because he's all we have up front. When Hazard is playing a full 90 they'll have to scale back their marking of him.

Think the officials weren't very fair to him as well. He showed a good burst of pace and skill to get past the defenders more than a couple of times but they were always physical with him. Shoving, pushing and when he wised up to it and also shoulder barged for a 50-50 ball he got a yellow. The officiating didn't help us as it was double standards throughout I feel. 

RIP Mourinho, RMH and Scott Harris like this

The final ball was never there for him in the last match, we tried to do the Azpi early cross and it only succeeded the first time, but he was offside and the header went wide. After that Arsenal cut off the supply from the source and blocked Azpi from the early cross position and it never happened again.

From what I have observed so far - Moratta is not like Costa where in he can create a shot all by himself or convert on half chances. This may be more down to the fact that he is still learning the league, the team and himself. He plays good when there is support and in the Arsenal game we really offered nothing going forward. Willian and Pedro were shockingly poor and Cesc was bad as well - that is pretty much more than half our attacking support. 

I echo what everyone has said about Torres, it's like we signed the Torres of atletico when Liverpool got him. Although I'd argue a version better in the air and better technically although not as fast.

All in all I couldn't be happier with him, boy have we signed some player. You know you've signed the right player when you start thinking " crap if he carries on like this Madrid will be back in for him" same feeling we all get with hazard. I was gutted in the summer we never signed a marquee proven player (alexis) but I'm adamant we signed a world class striker. I now fully believe Baka and morata are improvements on Costa and matic. 

Edited by I Am Gay 4 Diegod
Bobbywoodhogan likes this

I wouldn't compare him to Torres TBH.

Torres at his peak was an Owen-style poacher who primarily relied upon his pace and finishing ability, whereas Morata is more rounded. He doesn't have Torres' pace or finishing ability but he is definitely sturdier and more of an aerial threat. 

7 minutes ago, DaRick said:

Torres at his peak was an Owen-style poacher who primarily relied upon his pace and finishing ability, whereas Morata is more rounded. He doesn't have Torres' pace or finishing ability but he is definitely sturdier and more of an aerial threat. 

Morata reminds me of a young Peter Osgood. Similar height and build, skillful, elegance, and glides around the pitch. He just needs to be a bit more aggressive, and I think he's more prolific than Osgood. I think we have bought a gem.

EmeraldBlue, yorkleyblue and DaRick like this

Great game from our newest Spaniard, and he definitely looks like he's 'found his feet' now in the Premier league (ahem).

Definitely makes up for the somewhat sad loss of Costa, and hopefully Morata grabs his 7th in the league against City next weekend.

Have to be honest I thought he was a massive gamble.

It's paying off handsomely though. Looks a top player. 

If he's scoring goals like this the Costa debate falls away. Costa was a terrible footballer but an awesome goalscorer. This guy is both by the looks of it. 

3 hours ago, DaRick said:

I agree, if you want to compare him to an ex-chelsea player, i'd say much closer to Falcao in his prime. 

DaRick likes this

That second goal sums it up, he is capable of creating an opportunity from a ball in midfield with his pace, capacity to keep the ball and fantastic finish. He's quality. I had to had a laugh with my sister in law, who is a Real Madrid life long fan, and thanked her for keeping Benzema and selling us Morata. She is desperate.

robdog likes this