Jump to content




Sheva

Alvaro Morata


Recommended Posts

On 11/21/2017 at 18:04, Munkworth said:

Would he go back a third time? He’s playing for a manager he respects and who showed him the faith and trust to make him first choice, not an impact sub. 

He seems like a decent down to earth type and hopefully feels like he owes Conte something.

He's a boyhood Real fan I think if he's guarenteed he would get a starting role he would go back.

Here's hoping you're right though and hopefully he stays and bangs in the goals for years to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
some poor misses from him yesterday. i know it didn't mean much at that point when he came on, but one on one with the keeper he hasn't put much confidence in me. he is fantastic with his head, but when the crosses dry up i hope he can go up a level and show a different aspect to his goal scoring. 


Normally I'd be worried but morata seems like the type of player that will win you the UCL in the 93rd min with a piece of magic, best striker since drogba for me already as costa was a complete prick when not scoring and tried to derail our title winning season in Jan to go to China the f**king mug!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What of the previous seasons prior to those 5 months at the end? If we're judging the players against each other, there is no way Morata is better than Costa. As it stands today,in my opinion, there isn't much between Morata and Batshuayi. Most of the time, if it isn't put on his head, it's hitting the stewards each side of the goal. I wanted Morata and it's early days, but I think we need some clarity comparing him to Costa as it stands.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LengmanJedi said:

 


Normally I'd be worried but morata seems like the type of player that will win you the UCL in the 93rd min with a piece of magic, best striker since drogba for me already as costa was a complete prick when not scoring and tried to derail our title winning season in Jan to go to China the f**king mug!!

 

Agree with the first part :) Morata's play is just pleasing on the eye, very smooth. That's the simple reason I already prefer him over several of our previous strikers including Costa. Even if he isn't as prolific or clinical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Mod Stark said:

What of the previous seasons prior to those 5 months at the end? If we're judging the players against each other, there is no way Morata is better than Costa. As it stands today,in my opinion, there isn't much between Morata and Batshuayi. Most of the time, if it isn't put on his head, it's hitting the stewards each side of the goal. I wanted Morata and it's early days, but I think we need some clarity comparing him to Costa as it stands.

 

 

Bizarre. Costa started like a house on fire for us but I wonder if he had as many goals for us after as many games, remembering that Morata has missed a few with injury. Morata's been brilliant and I just can't understand your comparison with Batshuayi, who has no idea how to play up front on his own, although he will score goals. Batshuayi is just a very limited footballer and it's clear Conte doesn't trust him.

 

Morata is better in the air than Costa, by far, he's faster, his link-up play is better, he's more skilful, and he'll get more goals. He'll easily surpass Costa's 20 if he stays fit, because although he misses chances, he also puts them away, and crucially the chances keep coming his way, because his movement and positioning is so good. All strikers miss chances. Morata is scoring crucial goals, big goals in big games, winners, opening goals. Costa invariably went missing in big games. Lest we forget, in both our title winning seasons of late, Costa faded badly in the latter half, when the pressure was on. It was Hazard that drove us over the line on both occasions.

 

Given the choice, I don't see too many people taking Costa over Morata right now, and as for Batshuayi, he's at least one tier below them two in my opinion. I'm not saying there aren't better than Morata out there, but I don't think we could have done much better, given the options. He's been as good as any of us could have expected, and his goal against Utd was simply a great header. When we needed him he produced. He was absolutely brilliant that day.

 

He gets injured and we're relying on Batshuayi our season takes a very different course in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the thing though Davey, it's easy to forget about the player once they've moved on (or it went sour with the club) in which, I think most are doing with Costa. How many games did Costa step up when we needed him, and win the game like Morata vs Utd.

I'm not taking shots at Morata, I like him and hope he becomes a striker that is up there every season for us, but for me, at the moment, he isn't as reliable or confident in front of goal as Costa was for us, not by some stretch.

Quote

Costa faded badly in the latter half, when the pressure was on. It was Hazard that drove us over the line on both occasions.

Yes I saw the same yesterday in the champions league :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Surely his misses can still be fixed by having some extra shooting practice a few times a week? 

If it was that easy, he'd be religiously banging them in week in, week out. All strikers, world class or otherwise, have off days because that's the nature of the role they play but Morata has kept his to a minimum up to now. I'm highly delighted he's at our club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Davey Baby said:

 

Bizarre. Costa started like a house on fire for us but I wonder if he had as many goals for us after as many games, remembering that Morata has missed a few with injury. Morata's been brilliant and I just can't understand your comparison with Batshuayi, who has no idea how to play up front on his own, although he will score goals. Batshuayi is just a very limited footballer and it's clear Conte doesn't trust him.

 

Morata is better in the air than Costa, by far, he's faster, his link-up play is better, he's more skilful, and he'll get more goals. He'll easily surpass Costa's 20 if he stays fit, because although he misses chances, he also puts them away, and crucially the chances keep coming his way, because his movement and positioning is so good. All strikers miss chances. Morata is scoring crucial goals, big goals in big games, winners, opening goals. Costa invariably went missing in big games. Lest we forget, in both our title winning seasons of late, Costa faded badly in the latter half, when the pressure was on. It was Hazard that drove us over the line on both occasions.

 

Given the choice, I don't see too many people taking Costa over Morata right now, and as for Batshuayi, he's at least one tier below them two in my opinion. I'm not saying there aren't better than Morata out there, but I don't think we could have done much better, given the options. He's been as good as any of us could have expected, and his goal against Utd was simply a great header. When we needed him he produced. He was absolutely brilliant that day.

 

He gets injured and we're relying on Batshuayi our season takes a very different course in my opinion.

I thought Costa produced in the big games but agree completely otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ashwin said:

I thought Costa produced in the big games but agree completely otherwise.

 

He produced against City last season at their place. Second-half he was unplayable. I think you'll find most big games he was anonymous. Let's also remember he went completely missing for half a season for every season he was here. Morata all day long for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Davey Baby said:

 

He produced against City last season at their place. Second-half he was unplayable. I think you'll find most big games he was anonymous. Let's also remember he went completely missing for half a season for every season he was here. Morata all day long for me.

Morata all day long for me too. 

During the first half of each season he was with us, Costa was hardly a flat track bully. He scored 10 of his 59 goals against Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, City and United. Also against PSG. That is quite impressive. If, however, you consider only matches in the second half of a season as 'big', then he hasn't done very well. But that has little to do with showing up in the big games, is it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/11/2017 at 22:20, Mod Stark said:

What of the previous seasons prior to those 5 months at the end? If we're judging the players against each other, there is no way Morata is better than Costa. As it stands today,in my opinion, there isn't much between Morata and Batshuayi. Most of the time, if it isn't put on his head, it's hitting the stewards each side of the goal. I wanted Morata and it's early days, but I think we need some clarity comparing him to Costa as it stands.

 

Can't agree with this at all, Morata is far better at playing with his back to goal than Costa ever was and a much better footballer. 

Costa was incredibly frustrating to watch on the ball, even Torres was far better than Costa on the ball. But Costa's attitude on the pitch was sublime, he always gave it 100% even through the rough patch. I would say he's our best goal scoring striker we've ever had at the club since Roman arrived, Morata could surpass if he keeps consistency in front of goal. But I don't think he's as clinical as Costa is in front of goal sadly. 

But with the ball to his feet, incomparable absolutely, Costa was way behind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer Morata too, Costa was our best striker since Drogba and it would take two defenders to mark him.

With Morata he adds another dimension of being able to develop understanding with other players like Hazard, Fabregas and Azpilicueta. Too early to say he is the better striker though it looks promising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morata fits in to the brand of football Abramovich wants us to play, Costa was a Mourinho type player. Both great, both with their own individual strengths and weakness. 

I’d rather they were both at the club though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's early days, but he's the most complete striker we had since Drogba, whether he will match the great man only time will tell. He's getting stronger, the first 4-5 games he had he got pushed off the ball way too easily, in the last few games he's winning a lot of physical duels against some big muscular dudes. He's a very likable guy, even the haters couldn't find a reason to bash him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Slojo said:

Can't agree with this at all, Morata is far better at playing with his back to goal than Costa ever was and a much better footballer. 

Costa was incredibly frustrating to watch on the ball, even Torres was far better than Costa on the ball. But Costa's attitude on the pitch was sublime, he always gave it 100% even through the rough patch. I would say he's our best goal scoring striker we've ever had at the club since Roman arrived, Morata could surpass if he keeps consistency in front of goal. But I don't think he's as clinical as Costa is in front of goal sadly. 

But with the ball to his feet, incomparable absolutely, Costa was way behind. 

Just adding that I was more meaning goal-scoring ability and confidence in front of goal than technical ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mod Stark said:

Just adding that I was more meaning goal-scoring ability and confidence in front of goal than technical ability.

Fair enough Stark, I didn't read the rest of the thread where you elaborated I just saw that post. But yeah Costa was a machine in front of goal, Morata has been wasteful in front of goal for me, and I highly rate him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We definitely got the better deal with Morata than Utd have got with Lukaku

Apart from scoring a few goals against the smaller sides, Lukaku really hasn't done much to justify his price tag and a few Utd fans are starting to see his limitations, he reminds me of a faster Mario Gomez, great at putting the ball in the back of the net against the weaker sides but goes missing when it really matters and offers nothing else 

Morata has already shown that he can stick the ball in the net on a regular basis, turn up against the big sides and has produced some fantastic link up play with the likes of Hazard and Fabregas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/11/2017 at 09:10, Slojo said:

Can't agree with this at all, Morata is far better at playing with his back to goal than Costa ever was and a much better footballer. 

Costa was incredibly frustrating to watch on the ball, even Torres was far better than Costa on the ball. But Costa's attitude on the pitch was sublime, he always gave it 100% even through the rough patch. I would say he's our best goal scoring striker we've ever had at the club since Roman arrived, Morata could surpass if he keeps consistency in front of goal. But I don't think he's as clinical as Costa is in front of goal sadly. 

But with the ball to his feet, incomparable absolutely, Costa was way behind. 

Costa’s attitude a couple of years back was terrible, he likes to stand on the left hand side of the pitch but through the beginning of that dreadful season he was obsessed with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Lukaku and Morata comparisons...I've done some digging.
Points they've secured for their team through their goals e.g not including scoring when the game was already won.
Lukaku: 7
Morata: 12

Therefore, if you take away all of Lukaku's goals:
2nd Man United - 29
down to 
7th Man United - 22

If you take away all of Morata's goals:
3rd Chelsea - 26
down to
12th Chelsea - 14

LEVELS
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has plenty to improve on, I hope he starts with his attitude. He looks like a pretty strong athletic guy, there's no need for him to go ground as much as he does. His constant moaning at the ref is getting tiresome too.

He's not getting anything from the refs at the moment, but that's because he spends as much time on the ground as on his feet. They don't know what to believe anymore, and I'm sure his constant moaning at them doesn't help.

He is a technically sound player, he's got speed and tremendous heading ability, he needs develop his finishing and change his attitude a little and I think we've got a real winner on our hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×