Vidahost - UK Web Hosting
Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

GoshaRubchinskiy

Romelu Lukaku

3,214 posts in this topic

If we had REALLY been looking forward, then maybe we wouldn't have sold him in the first place?

We were in a tough situation. He wasn't good enough in 14/15 to lead our line so we brought in Costa. He also didn't want to fight for his spot so he took the easy option to Everton.

It was tough for him during his time at Chelsea because he got limited playing time and when he did play he was often stuck out on the right hand side. Asking Lukaku to play on the flank is like asking Michael Barrymore to play with boobies. He'll give it a go but his heart isn't in it and he is found wanting.

That said I'm not in favour of bringing him back. I'm not convinced he is the player some think he is. He is hit and miss for me. Few patches of form where he occasionally looks like Drogba the Second but a few too many patches where he looks like Emile Heskey. His first touch often resembles Bill Cosby's. I certainly wouldn't be entertaining a bid in the region Everton will be seeking.

jack_super_class, Zola, dkw and 4 others like this

don't think that's fair.

we can argue about whether it was right to sell him or not, but he's a young player with his best days ahead of him. if conte wants him we should try to sign him- the fact he was here before is irrelevant. I think it is the same situation as we had with matic.

My personal feeling is that we need to, now more than ever, move on and evolve as a team and as a club.

Lukaku is a sideways step for us and for the transfer fee being touted I think we could sign a more complete player.

If we had REALLY been looking forward, then maybe we wouldn't have sold him in the first place?

Yeah, probably.

Although ultimately I don't think we could have given him the amount of playing time that he craved.

We was always going to sign a "first choice" striker which is why we pursued Rooney and Costa.

The main question is does he have it in him to perform at a club like Chelsea where he will not be an automatic first choice and when you get minutes you have the pressure of performing. Personally I think he is far too similar to Costa & I wouldn't start him over Costa. Even if we were to play with 2 strikers I would prefer going with Traore & Costa as that combination brings a different dynamic in terms of the brute of Costa and the energy of Traore.

However on the other hand Lukaku has excellent stats at an incredibly young age averaging a goal every 168 Mins & those stats are only set to improve playing alongside superior players, but £50m+ appears a little overpriced. 

My personal feeling is that we need to, now more than ever, move on and evolve as a team and as a club.

Lukaku is a sideways step for us and for the transfer fee being touted I think we could sign a more complete player.

that's fair enough- I suppose I think he'll prove to be a better player than you do. all i'm saying is that I don't think signing at him would be an example of "looking backwards".

which strikers do you think we could sign this summer? I can't see many realistic targets for us.

that's fair enough- I suppose I think he'll prove to be a better player than you do. all i'm saying is that I don't think signing at him would be an example of "looking backwards".

which strikers do you think we could sign this summer? I can't see many realistic targets for us.

A striker should be way down the list of what we need at the moment. In fact it's pretty much he last position to strengthen. We need a midfield, centre back, full back and possibly keeper.

I'll be honest that I don't really follow football outside of England so my knowledge is quite limited.

Assuming we're looking at spending £45/50m on a striker Aubameyang could possibly be tempted. 

Lacazette has been rumoured to want a move to England for a couple of years now.

Icardi has been linked with us for a couple of years. 

As I say though, that's me pulling names we've been linked with previously so I'm aware of them... With our extensive scouting network I'm sure we should have been able to spot a player of the profile we're looking for up front. Drogba as the example wasn't a household name at the time we signed him, maybe that's what we'll be looking for? 

g3.7 likes this

I think not being in the CL will probably stop us from getting the likes of aubamayang, griezemann and higuian. if that's the case I'd want us to look at good players with scope to improve. for me lukaku is a good fit in that case, so is lacazette. 

dkw, I'm not sure it is the last area we need to strengthen. at this point we can expect remy to be sold, and falcao and pato will probably also both end their loans. that leaves us with traore and a slightly prone to injury costa. I think that has us way too short. especially if conte wants to play two up. maybe he'll try hazard as a second forward...

We were in a tough situation. He wasn't good enough in 14/15 to lead our line so we brought in Costa. He also didn't want to fight for his spot so he took the easy option to Everton.

It was tough for him during his time at Chelsea because he got limited playing time and when he did play he was often stuck out on the right hand side. Asking Lukaku to play on the flank is like asking Michael Barrymore to play with boobies. He'll give it a go but his heart isn't in it and he is found wanting.

That said I'm not in favour of bringing him back. I'm not convinced he is the player some think he is. He is hit and miss for me. Few patches of form where he occasionally looks like Drogba the Second but a few too many patches where he looks like Emile Heskey. His first touch often resembles Bill Cosby's. I certainly wouldn't be entertaining a bid in the region Everton will be seeking.

Yeah, probably.

Although ultimately I don't think we could have given him the amount of playing time that he craved.

We was always going to sign a "first choice" striker which is why we pursued Rooney and Costa.

Agreed, my point was a little tongue in cheek.  Maybe I need to use more emojii?  Speaking of, what ever happened to MandM-CFC?

Also, in my humble opinion, I think Everton are starting to look like absolute mugs with the prices they are putting on their young players.  40 million+ for Stones who I've never been overly impressed with: talented, room to improve, potential?  Yes, but 40+ million? No

Lukaku: big, powerful, can play as lone striker, had a good season at Everton in this past (and very strange) campaign, scores goals.  All good stuff, right?  But, I too think he can be up and down (so was Drogba when he first arrived, but he always had an "it" factor.  I don't think Lukaku is worth 65 million. 

Are we selling Courtois? If so, we'll the office use the large price tag to bring in Lukaku at the rumoured 65m? 

When he is on his game, he is unplayable, an absolute brute, still needs a bit of honing, but boy he will bring us something extra, has improved at Everton..

When he is on his game, he is unplayable, an absolute brute, still needs a bit of honing, but boy he will bring us something extra, has improved at Everton..

This is why Id love to have him in the team. Could be near a decade of 20 goals a season for whatever price. Thats well worth it in my book. Not to mention keeping him out of the hands of a rival club where he could be doing that. Its not a certainty he'll be a great player but with the few seasons of evidence we have, scoring goals each year and improving, I think its more likely than not he is the closest thing to Drogba we'll see for a while

The question is, what does he have in mind when, and if he comes back? I don't see him as an automatic first choice because Costa at the moment is still a better all around striker than Lukaku (and I'm not a Costa fan). He left because he wanted playing time. Is he currently good enough to be a starter in a top team? My personal opinion is no. He's got a terrible touch, he's too inconsistent and doesn't dominate games like top class strikers are supposed to. He's a big lad, but he doesn't know how to use that frame to his advantage,is not particularly great in the air and not physical enough, instead he relies on his technical ability, which is very hit and miss.

Don't get me wrong, he's had a solid goal scoring ratio at Everton but if you watched him play you could see those weaknesses from a mile away. Would I be OK with him being a second or third choice at the club? Yes. A starter? No.

Chelsbear likes this

Solid player in my opinion, could be world class if he hones consistency and first touch, can be frightening as judged by the F.A cup game. Would someone like Batshuayi be also worth a shout? Big bustling striker who's in his early 20s who's just had a very good season playing for Marseille? In all seriousness I think he looks very good and wouldn't mind being second choice.

As has been said before if Conte wants 2 up front I'd personally love to see Morata and Costa.

For the right money Lukaku would be a great signing but I fear that the pressure of being a £65 mil player might backfire

The question is, what does he have in mind when, and if he comes back? I don't see him as an automatic first choice because Costa at the moment is still a better all around striker than Lukaku (and I'm not a Costa fan). He left because he wanted playing time. Is he currently good enough to be a starter in a top team? My personal opinion is no. He's got a terrible touch, he's too inconsistent and doesn't dominate games like top class strikers are supposed to. He's a big lad, but he doesn't know how to use that frame to his advantage,is not particularly great in the air and not physical enough, instead he relies on his technical ability, which is very hit and miss.

Don't get me wrong, he's had a solid goal scoring ratio at Everton but if you watched him play you could see those weaknesses from a mile away. Would I be OK with him being a second or third choice at the club? Yes. A starter? No.

he's obviously got work to do. at the moment he's a very direct player, like an unpolished vieri or torres. but I'm all for us signing players who are still on an upward curve. I agree he's probably not a better player than costa at the moment, but I think he'd be a good long term investment (although the price quoted is a bit mad).

from his point of view, when we let him go I don't think he was demanding he was first choice. I think he wanted reasonable game time, and competing with eto'o, torres and ba for one spot under jose was never likely to yield that. now he probably would want to know he'd be starting more than 50% of games and playing in 70% of them at least. if conte wants him then he surely has a plan on how to use him. I would like to see him back on that basis. as I say, I suspect we could see two strikers on the pitch at the same time quite a bit...

Terrible first touch and doesnt dominate games are not valid criticism.

I'd like to see or hear exactly why anyone thinks he has a terrible firsr touch, because there is a plethora of evidence to the contrary.

As far as dominating games well thats just arbitrary. How many strikers dominate every match? Costa sure doesnt, so what are we comparing him to? I'd say he influences quite a large number of matches. Everton fans would as well. And a fair bit of the draws and losses they had were squarely on the shoulders of their defense conceding 2 or 3 despite Lukaku scoring 1 or 2. After the season Costa has just had I'm at a loss for how anyone doesn't see we need at least 2 quality forwards.

At his age he's still got time to round out his game and become more complete.

Are there better strikers in the world? Yeah. Are there going to be many better than him in 2 or 3 seasons? I dont think so. Thats the bet you're making even though as he is now he's still capable of winning matches for you and bagging 20 goals a season. There's a reason big clubs are after him, he's talented and physically imposing which is something most players regardless of position will never have.

SSN just confirmed he wants to leave Everton this summer.

I can definitly see him ending up here, Conte likes to play with two strikers.

Hazard
Lukaku Costa

Potentially lethal.

I'd go up to 50m myself. He pretty much guarantees you goals in the premiership and he is young so will have value down the line as well.

RIP Mourinho likes this