Vidahost - UK Web Hosting
Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

ForeverCarefree

Following Our Nearest & Dearest Rivals, 2016/2017

13,277 posts in this topic
2 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Apparantly City is close to signing Rakitic from Barcelona. That's according to Croatian media.

I would kiss you with tongues if that's true, Surely not?????

2 minutes ago, Kinkladze1871 said:

Maybe thats the first domino. Him to City, Alli to Barca

12 hours ago, havelschayes said:

"london stadium" finest moment

That was a clear penalty. Refs were paid off.

Nibs likes this

Back to the FA Cup, I liked the idea about a CL place for the winner however was not sure how you would manage that, You give the CL place to the FA Cup winner and the top 3 sides in the league qualified, Therefore in essence it becomes the 'top 3', That would be good for the competition and it would also nullify Arsenal.

1 minute ago, Kinkladze1871 said:

My wife might have an issue with that :laugh2:

But yes, Croatian media is reporting it. And he hasn't played in the league for Barcelona since el clasico for Barcelona. 

2 minutes ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

Maybe thats the first domino. Him to City, Alli to Barca

Is Dele Alli really Barca material though? I mean good player but Stones was linked with Barca and Real before we bought him, Barkley was linked with Bayern at one stage, I'd be very cautious with English players in this day and age.

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, WeatherMan said:

I can't see how getting it back on Sky will help much, they were the first bunch to start fecking around with ridiculous kick off times years ago. At least some of the FA Cup games are free to air on Bbc at the moment.

I don't mean all of it, just the games that BT have because there coverage us sh*te and more people have access to Sky. Of course it would be better to have it on BBC and ITV but one of Sky/BT is always going to have it.

Edited by Bobbywoodhogan

11 minutes ago, Kinkladze1871 said:

Back to the FA Cup, I liked the idea about a CL place for the winner however was not sure how you would manage that, You give the CL place to the FA Cup winner and the top 3 sides in the league qualified, Therefore in essence it becomes the 'top 3', That would be good for the competition and it would also nullify Arsenal.

It's definitely an interesting idea and in all honest I think a team with the FA Cup would be worthy of been in the "Champions" league than a team that finishes third or fourth.

15 minutes ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

I don't mean all of it, just the games that BT have because there coverage us sh*te and more people have access to Sky. Of course it would be better to have it on BBC and ITV but one of Sky/BT is always going to have it.

I can't comment on BT coverage because I've never seen it but by all accounts they are as you say....sh*te. Sky are pretty good but apparently losing customers by the bucketload due to the exhorbitant subscription charges here in the UK. I ditched them years ago for that reason and don't regret it at all.

stevo likes this

12 minutes ago, WeatherMan said:

I can't comment on BT coverage because I've never seen it but by all accounts they are as you say....sh*te. Sky are pretty good but apparently losing customers by the bucketload due to the exhorbitant subscription charges here in the UK. I ditched them years ago for that reason and don't regret it at all.

I'll be joining you soon, I have a deal with them for half price Sky no contract which runs out in May so I won't be renewing.

1 hour ago, Kinkladze1871 said:

Rakitic is undoubtedly class but how many midfielders do City need? Should be looking for fullbacks and a centre half. 

6 minutes ago, Celery1989 said:

Rakitic is undoubtedly class but how many midfielders do City need? Should be looking for fullbacks and a centre half. 

With Fernandinho's red card record and Gundogan done for the year, We are down to Toure and Delph/Fernando.:laugh2:

1 hour ago, Kinkladze1871 said:

With Fernandinho's red card record and Gundogan done for the year, We are down to Toure and Delph/Fernando.:laugh2:

Fair point actually. Yaya's powers are in decline and Delph has only recently returned from injury as well. That said the defence is much weaker. 

:biggrin: @ Liverpool. There's only one thing worse than getting knocked out of the FA cup - getting a replay. Kloop won't be fielding the kids in the return leg.

14 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

:biggrin: @ Liverpool. There's only one thing worse than getting knocked out of the FA cup - getting a replay. Kloop won't be fielding the kids in the return leg.

For a club of their 'hisssssstory', shame they chose to totally disrespect the oldest domestic cup competition in the world by picking a team full of academy players...hope Plymouth knock them out in the replay

Jezz, Hitsu, WeatherMan and 3 others like this

1 hour ago, stevo said:

I bet Wigan supporters enjoyed winning the f a cup a hell a lot more than staying in the premier league. I love the cup. Should be respected. 

I met one when I went to the football museum in Manchester, I said well surely you were happier winning the FA Cup even if it came with a relegation. He said no I'd rather still be in the Premier League. Honestly it's madness.

Jezz likes this

8 hours ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

I met one when I went to the football museum in Manchester, I said well surely you were happier winning the FA Cup even if it came with a relegation. He said no I'd rather still be in the Premier League. Honestly it's madness.

A Birmingham fan said similar to me re carling cup and relegation in 2011 and if it was for one season you can say its mad but thinking long term i can see were they are coming from even more so if Wigan stay lower championship/upper league one for the future and Birmingham carry on bumming about. If someone said to me in 2012 (as amazing as it was) Munich in return for 10 years of mid table misery no way would i have accepted, heck last season would have been worth it for potentially a title either side and i would have taken a huge short term hit for Munich but im not sure any trophy is worth long term damage and relegation in those seasons has ruined Birmingham and Wigan.

Ladies and gentlemen, the ever-enlightened Paul Merson and Phil Thompson: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/09/english-managers-premier-league-hull-city-marco-silva

Paul Merson:

"I could win the league with Olympiakos. I’m not even joking. They’ve won it 107 times and it’s only been going 106 years. Why does it always have to be a foreign manager? Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got nothing against foreign managers – Klopp, Pep Guardiola, these are top-drawer managers. This geezer ain’t any different to Gary Rowlett. These ex-footballers, they’re doing four-year, five-year courses, costing a fortune to do their badges, and none of them get a chance. None of them get a chance to manage at the top level. The ones who are – like Sean Dyche, who is doing a great job at Burnley – are fighting relegation every year. Will he get a good job? This is a good job. Hull are a good team, great stadium, some very good players. But what does he know about the Premier League?"

Phil Thompson:

“What does he know about Hull? It’s quite astonishing that they’ve plumped for someone like this. It’s just baffling, when there’s a lot of people out there who know about the Premier League – know what;s required to dig it. He’s not got a clue. It’s manna from heaven to be given this job ... it’s another slap in the face to all our British cultures and managers – and what they have done to make this appointment for six months is just embarrassing to the football club.”

Charles Ryder likes this

A response to him from Redcafe

• Paul Merson, a man who's managerial experience extends as far as getting Walsall relegated and putting them on the brink of second relegation, feels that he could win the Greek League with Olympiakos. Because as we've all seen, anyone can take over a historically successful, recently title-winning team and guide them to instant success, just look at how Moyes did at United. I'm sure Merson thinks his time at Walsall was comparable to Moyes' at Everton too.
  • He's got nothing against foreign managers, but he can't see the difference between Marco Silva, and Gary Row(l)ett. Marco Silva took his first job in management in the Portuguese second tier, won promotion and the division with ease in his first season, finished 5th in the top flight in his second season, qualifying for the Europa League, then bettered the feat by finishing 4th in his 3rd season, also ending Porto's unbeaten home record, held since 2008. He then took the job at Sporting, and guided them to their first silverware since 2008, only to be sacked for wearing the wrong suit. His last job was Olympiakos, where he broke the record for consecutive wins from the first game of the season, and also broke the record for most consecutive wins in a European league in the 21st century. They also won the league by 30 points. Gary Row(l)ett nearly got Burton Albion promoted from League Two a couple of times, and then kept Birmingham comfortably mid-table in the Championship for a couple of seasons.
  • Marco Silva, a man who has won silverware with two different European clubs, as well as managing in Europe (including a win over Arsenal), should have gone to a Championship club to "start" off and prove that he can manage at the top level. Gary Row(l)lett has proved he can manage at the top level, because he got Birmingham to finish 10th in the Championship.
  • If you've done your badges then you deserve a chance to manage at the top level (i.e. the Premier League), unless you're foreign, because then you need to take a job in the Championship regardless of any prior managerial experience.
  • Sean Dyche, a man currently managing in the Premier League, but managing perennial relegation battlers Burnley, does not have a good job. Marco Silva, who has taken over at Hull, the team currently sat at the bottom of the Premier League, 8 places and 10 points behind Burnley, has a good job. When will Sean Dyche be given a good job like the one that's just gone begging at Hull?
  • What does Marco Silva know about Hull or the Premier League? He's never played or managed in either. Gary Rowett on the other hand, has also never played for or managed Hull, but he did play in the Premier League as recently as 2004, experience which I'm sure would have been very useful in Hull's upcoming relegation six-pointer against Leeds. As we all know, regardless of previous experience, being English and playing in England means you're more suited to a Premier League managerial job than someone foreign, even if they have a history of over-achieving with small teams and winning silverware with others.
  • Phil Thompson, ever the voice of reason, points out that Marco Silva has been blessed by god to receive what is likely a 6 month stint and a Premier League relegation with Hull on his CV. He'll put that at the top, above his Greek title, Portuguese cup, 4th and 5th placed finishes with newly promoted Estoril, and multiple seasons of European experience with three different clubs.
  • Paul Merson, expert on Greek football, informs everyone that 17 wins on the bounce can happen at Olympiakos (ask anyone). I mean, it's not like it broke the record for the most consecutive wins in any European top division in the 21st century. Happens all the time. Also, they don't even know who they're playing next month because the fixtures come out a month at a time (they're away to Panetolikos on April 30th). I'm also fairly sure the reason exact dates and times aren't given is because every match is televised live , one way or another.
  • Every manager outside of the Premier League, aside from Luis Enrique, Zinedine Zidane and Diego Simeone wanted the Hull job (including Sean Dyche, who is actually managing in the Premier League and doing better than Hull), such is the draw and pulling power of the Premier League.
  • Obviously, rather than hiring a manager who's proven himself at three different clubs, Hull should have gone for one of the successful, British managers currently doing well in the Championship or League One. For example, any of the top 6 managers in the Championship fit the bill. There's Irish Chris Hughton, Spanish Rafael Benitez, Dutch Japp Stam, American David Wagner, and Portuguese Carlos Carvalhal to choose from. Alongside Gary Monk they're the best young British managers we've got. Failing that, Hull should have looked in League One, because away trips to Bury and Oxford will prepare anyone for Premier League management.

3 hours ago, Argo said:

A Birmingham fan said similar to me re carling cup and relegation in 2011 and if it was for one season you can say its mad but thinking long term i can see were they are coming from even more so if Wigan stay lower championship/upper league one for the future and Birmingham carry on bumming about. If someone said to me in 2012 (as amazing as it was) Munich in return for 10 years of mid table misery no way would i have accepted, heck last season would have been worth it for potentially a title either side and i would have taken a huge short term hit for Munich but im not sure any trophy is worth long term damage and relegation in those seasons has ruined Birmingham and Wigan.

I don't think that's a fair comparison to be honest. Teams like Wigan and Birmingham haven't achieved a ton in the game and are not (as people's measure it) Big Clubs. We are and with the squads we have and the money we spend should expect to be a Premier League team and fighting for titles. Wigan and Birmingham haven't won a ton in the game and it's a rarity especially in this day and age that a team like that would beat a Big Club to a major trophy. So I think for supporting a club like that it's better to have won the FA Cup/League Cup with relegation than to be a club that just stays up every season. Those Cup wins will forever be in the memories of those fans, especially given the rarity.

Celery1989 and Beerqueen like this