ForeverCarefree

Following Our Nearest & Dearest Rivals, 2016/2017

you can type as much as you like, I live in Scotland, I watch the SPFL every week from the stands. 
The standards dire and any team banking more than 20 million a season has won it before it's begun hands down. 
delude yourself as you wish. Brenda is a fraud, he always has been. Winning a one horse league in one of the worst footballing divisions in  Europe doesn't change that. He was beaten by the red Lincoln imps in the CL stuttering to qualify and finished bottom of the group. So in the situations where he was facing teams that actually could compete with the money they have and can spend he failed as he usually does. 

I wonder if the same would be said if the blues brother won it?

4 hours ago, Chelsbear said:

you can type as much as you like, I live in Scotland, I watch the SPFL every week from the stands. 

The standards dire and any team banking more than 20 million a season has won it before it's begun hands down. 

delude yourself as you wish. Brenda is a fraud, he always has been. Winning a one horse league in one of the worst footballing divisions in  Europe doesn't change that. He was beaten by the red Lincoln imps in the CL stuttering to qualify and finished bottom of the group. So in the situations where he was facing teams that actually could compete with the money they have and can spend he failed as he usually does. 

Why would I want to delude myself,? I don't like Brendan and even less so Celtic. But the clear fact is if it's so easy to go unbeaten then why didn't Delia manage it? Or Lennon? In fact why hasn't no Celtic or Rangers manager since the 18th century managed it? I mean if it's a simple as you claim, all they had to do was navigate the old firm fixtures unbeaten (which im syre both done on a few occasions) and its a done deal.

Just now, Argo said:

Why would I want to delude myself,? I don't like Brendan and even less so Celtic. But the clear fact is if it's so easy to go unbeaten then why didn't Delia manage it? Or Lennon? In fact why hasn't no Celtic or Rangers manager since the 18th century managed it? I mean if it's a simple as you claim, all they had to do was navigate the old firm fixtures unbeaten (which im syre both done on a few occasions) and its a done deal.

Because Scottish football is dead on its arse now. The players who once played for the rest of the clubs like Dundee (Claudia Canniga, Juan Sara, caballero), Falkirk (Russel Latapy), Hearts (Neil McCann) and so on are no longer possible hence the competition being the weakest it's ever been. The TV money in Scotland is a pittance and because the English market is so huge means there's literally nothing on offer other than Europen (CL) prize money which only 1 club can claim from up north. So what used to be a two horse race is now a one horse race and will be for the forseeable. 

Honestly if you want an idea take in a run of the mill game on BT or Sky and see for yourselves. The teams out with Celtic and I include Rangers in that are absolutely woeful. I've watched Scottish football for 20 years and lived here all my days and can honestly say the standard is beyond shocking. It's no shock to me a team who have raked in over £60 million in 3 seasons has been able to wipe the floor with teams who at most bring in a couple of million depending on where they go in the Europa League. 

Edited by Chelsbear

11 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

Because Scottish football is dead on its arse now. The players who once played for the rest of the clubs like Dundee (Claudia Canniga, Juan Sara, caballero), Falkirk (Russel Latapy), Hearts (Neil McCann) and so on are no longer possible hence the competition being the weakest it's ever been. The TV money in Scotland is a pittance and because the English market is so huge means there's literally nothing on offer other than Europen (CL) prize money which only 1 club can claim from up north. So what used to be a two horse race is now a one horse race and will be for the forseeable. 

Fair enough. Dont get me wrong i'm not for one second implying it's a major achievement for Celtic to win the league in itself, I just personally believe an unbeaten season deserves credit regardless of what they have in there favour.

Interesting to read people's views of Celtic's season. As a Rangers supporter it grieves me to see how huge the gap is now with Celtic. It is, as people have said a result of Celtic having massive resources compared to the other sides but I think @Argo is right to acknowledge the achievement of going a full season unbeaten. Given the lack of competition in every game, it would be all too easy to go to sleep in some match or other but Celtic have avoided that all season. I can't even remember where they needed a last gasp equaliser to avoid defeat (they may have done - I don't follow them very closely!) If they win against Aberdeen on Saturday then it is an unbeaten domestic season and I am not sure if that has ever been achieved before by any side in Scotland (or England for that matter).

I fear for Scottish football though because the total lack of competition will ultimately kill the game. It'll end up like Gibraltar where the same team won the league for 15 or so years on the trot. What's the point in that?

As for Brendan, I find him quite comical although looking back it was more the combination of Liverpool's ridiculous self-importance and his love of cliche that had me in stitches. My guess is that he will stay at Celtic for a few more seasons, get bored and then most probably head off to the Republic of Ireland manager's job like Martin O'Neill.  

On 22/05/2017 at 05:45, Strider6003 said:

Yes I  thought they were threatening to overtake us in the league yet just couldn't do it.

Where I think they do deserve some credit is in not throwing the towel in after we knocked out of two competitions and continuing to score lots of goals.

impressed with kanes scoring record, 78 in 114.Not bad for a 'one season wonder'

15 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Well, duh, of course he bloody would wouldn't he - erm let's see three league titles, a Champions League, a Europa League, 4 FA cups and 2 league cups vs a couple of FA cups.  Who wouldn't swap? 

The smug purists wouldn't, Bq, plenty in the Arsenal support fit that bracket. The types that refer to their stadium as 'Ashburton Grove'.

8 hours ago, carrickblue said:

Interesting to read people's views of Celtic's season. As a Rangers supporter it grieves me to see how huge the gap is now with Celtic. It is, as people have said a result of Celtic having massive resources compared to the other sides but I think @Argo is right to acknowledge the achievement of going a full season unbeaten. Given the lack of competition in every game, it would be all too easy to go to sleep in some match or other but Celtic have avoided that all season. I can't even remember where they needed a last gasp equaliser to avoid defeat (they may have done - I don't follow them very closely!) If they win against Aberdeen on Saturday then it is an unbeaten domestic season and I am not sure if that has ever been achieved before by any side in Scotland (or England for that matter).

I fear for Scottish football though because the total lack of competition will ultimately kill the game. It'll end up like Gibraltar where the same team won the league for 15 or so years on the trot. What's the point in that?

As for Brendan, I find him quite comical although looking back it was more the combination of Liverpool's ridiculous self-importance and his love of cliche that had me in stitches. My guess is that he will stay at Celtic for a few more seasons, get bored and then most probably head off to the Republic of Ireland manager's job like Martin O'Neill.  

Preston's Invincibles were actually unbeaten across all competitions - unlike Arsenal's tribute act version who were beaten by the likes of Middlesbrough and Dynamo Kyiv.

2 hours ago, Charles Ryder said:

The smug purists wouldn't, Bq, plenty in the Arsenal support fit that bracket. The types that refer to their stadium as 'Ashburton Grove'.

Preston's Invincibles were actually unbeaten across all competitions - unlike Arsenal's tribute act version who were beaten by the likes of Middlesbrough and Dynamo Kyiv.

And the current champions of England!

Strange decision. Wonder what his reasons are. I mean, where's he going to go from there? 

In his statement he's said he has no plans for another job in football and wants to spend more time with his family while he's still relatively young and healthy.

12 minutes ago, DELBY said:

In his statement he's said he has no plans for another job in football and wants to spend more time with his family while he's still relatively young and healthy.

Ah. Well, that sounds a good idea for him personally. 

Surely they must hate us more than the Gooners now. The amount of pain we've inflicted on them over the years, especially when you add to the fact that we completely bolloxed them up in 2012, ended their title ambitions last year and beat them to it this year.

Oh how I love being Chelsea! 

2012 - Knocked them out in the FA Cup semi
2012 - Won the Champions League to deny them a place
2015 - Beat them in League Cup final
2016 - Stopped them winning the league
2016 - They rested players in a key Champions League fixture to prepare for Chelsea. Lost both games.
2017 - Knocked them out of FA Cup semi final again
2017 - Beating them to the title despite them having their best season.

Surely they must hate us more than the Gooners now. The amount of pain we've inflicted on them over the years, especially when you add to the fact that we completely bolloxed them up in 2012, ended their title ambitions last year and beat them to it this year.

Oh how I love being Chelsea! 

2012 - Knocked them out in the FA Cup semi
2012 - Won the Champions League to deny them a place
2015 - Beat them in League Cup final
2016 - Stopped them winning the league
2016 - They rested players in a key Champions League fixture to prepare for Chelsea. Lost both games.
2017 - Knocked them out of FA Cup semi final again
2017 - Beating them to the title despite them having their best season.

I can see why Sam wants to retire, i think Palace was one last horrah so he didn't go out in disgrace.

Basically it was pretty clear he had ambitions to work his way to the top, and everything he done pre England was geared with that ambition. Make no mistake, he wanted to manage either England, United or Chelsea, he was determined to work his way to the top in a similar way Conte has. He finally got his big chance and blew it through sheer stupidity and that was that for his top level career, any remote chance of United was gone years ago and he was never going to get the gig with us. I think he mentally retired then and who could blame him? everything he was working towards for 2 decades had gone in a flash. That's why he took longer than usual to get going with Palace, i think beating us triggered motivation to produce one last hoodini act to be remembered by.

Edited by Argo

Could it also be that big Sam knows he's never going to get another top job to compete for trophies and relegation battles/top 10 finish is all he has from now on? After cocking up england post I can appreciate why palace hardly inspires you to carry on for years...reasonable chance of staying in pl for years now, but never going to be a major player in the grand scheme of things

2 hours ago, Argo said:

I can see why Sam wants to retire, i think Palace was one last horrah so he didn't go out in disgrace.

Basically it was pretty clear he had ambitions to work his way to the top, and everything he done pre England was geared with that ambition. Make no mistake, he wanted to manage either England, United or Chelsea, he was determined to work his way to the top in a similar way Conte has. He finally got his big chance and blew it through sheer stupidity and that was that for his top level career, any remote chance of United was gone years ago and he was never going to get the gig with us. I think he mentally retired then and who could blame him? everything he was working towards for 2 decades had gone in a flash. That's why he took longer than usual to get going with Palace, i think beating us triggered motivation to produce one last hoodini act to be remembered by.

I like Allardyce but the only thing he adores more than himself is cash.

He will be back as soon as there's a team struggling next December/January waving a £2m bonus for keeping them up under his nose.