Marcos Alonso

Scott Harris
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

"Having completed their moves to Stamford Bridge yesterday, Marcos Alonso and David Luiz have had their squad numbers announced and our Premier League squad list has been confirmed. 

Alonso, a left-back, will wear the No.3 shirt while David Luiz has taken the No.30. His previous number at Chelsea, the 4, was given to Cesc Fabregas when the midfielder signed."

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2016/08/squad-numbers-for-new-signings-confirmed.html

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2016/9/3/12783188/marcos-alonso-scouting-report

In case anyone missed it, WAGNH have done a pretty good article on Marcos with a Fiorentina fan to get a bit if an insight on him. To be honest, after reading through that I felt a bit underwhelmed. I wouldn't expect him to be a starter but more of a backup so for those who want to see Ivanovic on the bench better not get their hopes up just yet.

I hope we don't find ourselves asking in six months time why we've got Baba Rahman and Nathan Ake out on loan for this guy but let's see what happens. In any case, good luck to him.

Edited by Huttsey
Typos, it's always typos.

27 minutes ago, Huttsey said:

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2016/9/3/12783188/marcos-alonso-scouting-report

In case anyone missed it, WAGNH have done a pretty good article on Marcos with a Fiorentina fan to get a bit if an insight on him. To be honest, after reading through that I felt a bit underwhelmed. I wouldn't expect him to be a starter but more of a backup so for those who want to see Ivanovic on the bench better not get their hopes up just yet.

I hope we don't find ourselves asking in six months time why we've got Baba Rahman and Nathan Ake out on loan for this guy but let's see what happens. In any case, good luck to him.

Probably sour grapes from Fiorentina fans, reporters like David Amoyal who watch the Italian league regularly rate him, as does Conte. 

There seems to be wide differing of opinion on his value to the squad, only when he slips on a Chelsea shirt will we know the truth for ourselves. Personally I wouldn't take David Amoyals view above anyone else's(Zouma), I'm not totally convinced this is a  Conte buy rather than a what is available when desperate and approved by the manager(there is a difference), why would we wait nearly a month on acquiring an easy target after Baba left? Judge the player on what he does for us, the premier league is unforgiving if he's good enough we will soon know and best to keep an open mind. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

Like many, I haven't seen anything of Alonso but if what people are saying about being unspectular but solid then I don't think it's a bad thing. 

Players like Dave and Paulo Ferreria who are a consistent 7/10 every match are worth their money. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hasn't impressed me against Leicester today, I don't even remember if it was Gray or Schlupp that had freedom and space to do actions, we were lucky it wasn't Mahrez. Anyways, I won't judge him after one game, it takes time and I wish him to have better performances, let's give him the time he need.

His first game in a much changed side, we've not been great defensively building up to tonight either.

Looked better in the second half, linked up well going forward.

Wasn't too much to get excited about from his display but He didn't  look poor either.

49 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

Every time i see a LB play for us the more i miss Ashley Cole.

Alonso looks like any old lb you could pick up for 5-10m... First fane only, O know, but I wanted to see a bit of his attacking play. I don't recall seeing anything at all in that regard. 

He did mess up a few times defensively as well... Still, it was a sweet, sweet sight for the eyes not having to watch Iva out there (or Oscar).

Edited by Kante Conte

2 hours ago, Jonty said:

Made a few errors but also made quite a few tackles that I don't see Ivanovic being capable of making these days, I hope Conte saw enough to warrant giving him a go at Arsenal.

He was arguably the best we had in defense today I think he has earned himself a proper chance to play against Arsenal the only problem is we don't have the ability to punish Cahill/Luiz for a bad performance when John Terry and Zouma are both injured and I certainly don't ever want to see Ivanovic drop to CB NEVER EVER AGAIN!!